Jhon Durán

PieFacE

Averaging a goal every other full 90 played. If that's erratic then what does he look like as a finished article. I'll be livid if we let him leave for anything other a club record transfer.  He has everything you want in a striker and is only 20. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You gotta love him. Ain’t getting no side foot placed finishes with this guy.

That's the thing though, he does those as well. But boy can he hit a ball, what a left foot.

55 minutes ago, YLN said:

I don't see the potential. I think he's strong and powerful with a bullet shot, but that's it. I think he has poor positioning, poor instincts, quite clumsy, no finesse.

The comparison to Bertrand Traore is so wide of the mark. More Adama, and even then his dribbling is not even close. 

I'm usually wrong and look forward to this post being quoted, but i don't see it and if we got an offer of what we paid I'd take it.

He didn't compare his style/ability with Bertrand Traore at all though.

1 hour ago, YLN said:

I don't see the potential. I think he's strong and powerful with a bullet shot, but that's it. I think he has poor positioning, poor instincts, quite clumsy, no finesse.

The comparison to Bertrand Traore is so wide of the mark. More Adama, and even then his dribbling is not even close. 

I'm usually wrong and look forward to this post being quoted, but i don't see it and if we got an offer of what we paid I'd take it.

I actually agree with this but don’t underestimate how far you can get with these attributes!

out of interest though. Can you name many 20 year old strikers that can show all those attributes you mentioned at the highest level?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, T-Dog said:

He's got the first touch of a pinball machine sometimes, and his brain seems to be set to 'score goal' mode, but thought that was one of his better, maybe his best, performance tonight.

There's a player in there, the rough edges just need sanding down, and if anyone can do that, Unai can

He had a lot of really good first touches today. Where the ball was pinged directly at him and he put it in his stride for his pass. He's definitely less comfortable if he's stretching for it, or taking it in stride. 

1 hour ago, YLN said:

You've just described lukaku

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

So you’ll be livid if we sold him for £99m?

Better be £99.5 million so we can round up. 

People have said a few times that we were wrong to keep him and sell Archer but at the end of the day, Duran offers us something Archer (and indeed everybody else in the squad) doesn't. He's a complete wildcard which can be very useful to have in certain situations.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

People have said a few times that we were wrong to keep him and sell Archer but at the end of the day, Duran offers us something Archer (and indeed everybody else in the squad) doesn't. He's a complete wildcard which can be very useful to have in certain situations.

Some told you so people jumped on when Archer scored early on for Blades and have been very quiet after  he's done f all since

• Like 3

I’d start him at West Ham, it’s going to be a tough game anyway. He have strength so no real worry about that aspect, it will help him short and long term. More importantly no need to rush Watkins, possibly keep him on bench. You’d like him to have some rest rather than going for international games in this stage. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually agree with this but don’t underestimate how far you can get with these attributes!

out of interest though. Can you name many 20 year old strikers that can show all those attributes you mentioned at the highest level?

I just wonder if you can coach instincts. I remember a 19/20 year old Adama Traore arriving with all the power, pace, running, dribbling but when it was time for decision-making or positioning he was found lacking.

We all argued that if we could coach him to make the right decisions and introduce the ability to look up to find a pass he would be the business. He's still playing PL which isn't a bad outcome but I feel like they're still trying to teach him to look up 9 years later. 

What I'm unsure about is whether or not Duran can be coached the soft attributes.

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

How would you compare the Ollie of two seasons ago, and the Ollie now?

He is 19

Even if he turns out to be some sort of Michael Antonio that's still a very useful player to have in the squad.

Ollie at his age was on loan at Weston Super Mare not a back up at a Conference league team

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Bonkers player. Put in a better peformance than the last time I saw him live for more than the usual 5 min run out against Boro away.

Absolutely. His running was erratic, positioning bizarre at times, but he had three shots on goal and scored one… hard to argue with that really

Edited by alreadyexists

Â