Jhon Durán

PieFacE

Gabby was a tit but he had some good seasons for us, ignoring the end. People wax lyrical about Angel who had at best one good season and one ok season in a Villa shirt.

Anyway Duran is raw and ambitious, people questioning his ego, his attitude can be both negative and positive, if he is never satisfied, impatient and desperate to succeed then that isn't always a bad thing as long as he delivers on his promise.

@Vive_La_Villa is correct about Gabby especially between ‘07 and ‘09.

Now back to Duran I think he needs a Teddy Sheringham style striker next to him to get the best out of him. Or a Buendia type player. I don’t think Ollie and Duran can work as a two. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The revisionism over Gabby is hilarious.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the guy and think most of his career he was a complete disgrace. I think it's a stain on the club that he's our record Prem scorer. The sooner Ollie knocks him off that perch the better.

But to deny that he was a very good player for us for a couple of seasons is just crazy. I don't know why people insist on rewriting history for players they don't like. 

I'm not sure he was necessarily a complete disgrace for most of his career, but he was absolutely a guy who made the most of his main asset (pace).  Could also finish relatively well and scored some hugely key goals for us.

The partnership he had with Ashley Young was terrifying for defences, and it's not a coincidence that his form tailed off when Young left.

14 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Think you make some pretty valid points, although I think the comparison to Gobby is a tad wide of the mark, when you consider how long Gobby played professional football, and was still absolutely shocking at the end of his career.

In the case of Duran - there is plenty to work with and is already significantly better than Gobby.

I am definitely of the view that we should keep him - If anyone can coach him the finer arts, it’s Unai.

Its then down to Duran to listen and take on board the advice available to him.

Duran is significantly better than Gabby???

This has got to be a wind up surely!

Duran is not even close to being good enough as a Premier Leage footballer and, hopefully will be gone next season.

Gabby is our record goalscorer and despite being very poor at the end of his career, to say that Duran is already better is nonsense. 

Ive seen nothing at all to suggest that he will be anything other than another Keinan Davis. A lumbering oaf, like a bull in a china shop who can't hit the target for tofffee. (Still dining out off the one good goal in god knows how many attempts)

He even did his best to miss the one he did score v Ajax and missed several more that game. Which was apparently one of his better games.

Better than Gabby? Lol

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

@Vive_La_Villa is correct about Gabby especially between ‘07 and ‘09.

Now back to Duran I think he needs a Teddy Sheringham style striker next to him to get the best out of him. Or a Buendia type player. I don’t think Ollie and Duran can work as a two. 

Duran goes for goals at all costs, that's why Ollie and him will not work atm. Plus they both want to play in the same area of the pitch.

I think Emery started with 2 up front to help give our defenders an out ball if our McGinn-less midfield struggled to offer an out ball, but it didn't work, the ball didn't stick up front and any longish ball was more or less immediately pumped back into our own half after our forwards failed to pick up the either the 1st or 2nd ball. I don't think Duran was particularly to blame for this and he did show some promise in certain parts of his game. 

Where Duran can benefit us, atm, is coming on late in games where we are chasing something, he's a wild card for us and if he was playing for our opposition I would be very worried to see him coming on with 20 minutes to go, you just know he's going to get chances and pressure the defenders.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Duran is not even close to being good enough as a Premier Leage footballer and, hopefully will be gone next season.

In your opinion, an opinion which is not shared by myself or a lot of people on here. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

In your opinion, an opinion which is not shared by myself or a lot of people on here. 

Yes of course its my opinion. I don't post other people's opinions. Do you?

Also, I can think for myself and dont care how many people disagree with my point of view on a subject.

This is an open forum. But, whilst we are at it, Im sorry to inform you that there are also other posters (and Villa fans in general) that agree with my view on Duran. Not that it matters. 

I think for myself.

Edited by GlobalVillan

Duran has done nothing in his career to suggest he’s better than Gabby at anywhere near his peak. 

He might have shown the potential to eventually be better than Gabby was, sure. But on current ability he’s nowhere close. 

Im not sure how this comparison has come about given they’re massively different players. But anyway

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yes of course its my opinion. I don't post other people's opinions. Do you?

Also, I can think for myself and dont care how many people disagree with my point of view on a subject.

This is an open forum. But, whilst we are at it, Im sorry to inform you that there are also other posters (and Villa fans in general) that agree with my view on Duran. Not that it matters. 

I think for myself.

Good for you, I'm merely pointing out that your statement on Duran "not being even close to good enough as premier league footballer" sounded an awful lot like you portraying it as fact. 

It just so happens that our world class manager seems to think that he is, indeed, good enough. 

As for your opinions on whether or not he will be here next season etc. crack on!  

Edited by Steero113

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Duran has done nothing in his career to suggest he’s better than Gabby at anywhere near his peak. 

He might have shown the potential to eventually be better than Gabby was, sure. But on current ability he’s nowhere close. 

Im not sure how this comparison has come about given they’re massively different players. But anyway

Gabby could run very very fast, but not much else imo.

Duran’s ceiling is significantly a lot higher - again imo 

A strange decision to start him versus West Ham.  Maybe Emery wanted to counter the height in the air West Ham had, but Diaby needs to start ahead of him if we want CL.

15 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Gabby could run very very fast, but not much else imo.

I agree

15 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Duran’s ceiling is significantly a lot higher - again imo 

Yeah it might be, but currently he's absolutely miles away from Gabby when he was good

39 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Good for you, I'm merely pointing out that your statement on Duran "not being even close to good enough as premier league footballer" sounded an awful lot like you portraying it as fact. 

Happens often with a circular argument afterwards :D 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

It just so happens that our world class manager seems to think that he is, indeed, good enough. 

As for your opinions on whether or not he will be here next season etc. crack on!  

There are other posts on this very page that are making statements  about his ability;

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree

Yeah it might be, but currently he's absolutely miles away from Gabby when he was good

Are you going to reply to this in the same way you did to me?

Thought not.

They are both opinions and there is no need for anyone to have to say "in my opinion' before every goddamn post. 

Plus, the reason he is getting any minutes at all is because we have no other options currently. (In my opinion)

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Haha 1

Gabby has England caps. Sure you can say that his only real asset was pace, but that pace was absolutely blistering to the point where it changed everything about how the defence had to set up and created space for himself and his teammates. It's like arguing that Shaq was only good at basketball because he was enormous.

I think Duran shows signs of being a more well rounded striker, but if he ends up starting almost every game and scoring 50 odd goals over the next 4 seasons as Gabby did at the same stage of his career, we'd all be pretty happy with him.

2 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Gabby has England caps. Sure you can say that his only real asset was pace, but that pace was absolutely blistering to the point where it changed everything about how the defence had to set up and created space for himself and his teammates. It's like arguing that Shaq was only good at basketball because he was enormous.

I think Duran shows signs of being a more well rounded striker, but if he ends up starting almost every game and scoring 50 odd goals over the next 4 seasons as Gabby did at the same stage of his career, we'd all be pretty happy with him.

I think the reality of Duran being here in two season is unlikely never mind 4 - equally I think  he will go on to enjoy a really good career elsewhere 

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

What mentality? He is 20 years old and young players are inconsistent

People have him down as some sort of Balotelli like nutcase

I appreciate that he is 20 and no way am I comparing his mentality to Balotelli..

He needs to work on his game in terms of link up play and positioning. He has potential but i do think that he needs a loan move next season.

When i speak of mentality.. i am comparing it to someone like Ollie that is obsessed with improving every aspect of his game.

For me thats the mentality that he should aspire to reach..

Â