Jhon Durán

PieFacE

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Think this is the thing - lots of crying “what was Unai thinking?” and I even saw someone say “what would Diaby think with Duran starting ahead of him?” but if he hadn’t started Duran, after coming off the bench and scoring a screamer vs Ajax, we would be thinking “well what does he have to do.” We have more than 11 players now and not every selection gamble will pay off but all these lads are learning the PL as they go so the minutes are valuable for our future whatever.

I don't agree with this all too much and I think it's okay to question starting both Duran and Watkins. Starting one or the other makes more sense.

Starting both is like when we played Ings and Watkins at the same time - they just got in each other's way. It makes little sense to play two out and out strikers especially in Unai's system (and is exceedingly rare in the prem these days).

Watkins and Duran had the least amount of touches in the first half and we struggled to really impose ourselves on the game as a result.

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

I don't agree with this all too much and I think it's okay to question starting both Duran and Watkins. Starting one or the other makes more sense.

Starting both is like when we played Ings and Watkins at the same time - they just got in each other's way. It makes little sense to play two out and out strikers especially in Unai's system (and is exceedingly rare in the prem these days).

Watkins and Duran had the least amount of touches in the first half and we struggled to really impose ourselves on the game as a result.

I don't think anyone will disagree with this.

It didn't work. Unai knows that, he corrected it as early as is reasonably possible and we got a result because of it.

22 hours ago, Tom13 said:

He doesn't need crosses, he needs balls in behind and to feet. He didn't get either today.

He got a few balls to feet in the first half and lost possession every time. It's no wonder the supply dried up

As good as he was against Ajax, he was poor against West Ham. No doubt.

The system didn't work - Emery realised that - but it shouldn't mask the fact he struggled to control the ball or get into the game at all really. 

Shame. 

• Like 1

When we're on top or there's a lot of space like Ajax was leaving - he can be a terror. Much is true for a lot of talented youth.

Development in progress but with his talents, the sky's the limit if he applies himself.

Sometimes i think alot of us think we bought a wonderkid who was developed physically and technically beyond his years. He got spotted in Columbia, got a move to Chicago which is League 1 standard at best and then had a half season on the bench before getting into the team. Did pretty well and showed big potential. 

We only spotted him because we were looking at a keeper and then got all excited seeing Duran and got a march on the Portuguese teams watching him . Also he got called up to the national team maybe earlier than he should have based on his potential. 

In many ways he is the modern day version of the Gabby project where we took on a 15 year old who was quicker than the wind but couldnt control a ball to save his life and taught him how to play football .  So much to work on still with Duran but its clear to see the potential of working with him in the hope he gets to the top of the tree . 

31 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Sometimes i think alot of us think we bought a wonderkid who was developed physically and technically beyond his years. He got spotted in Columbia, got a move to Chicago which is League 1 standard at best and then had a half season on the bench before getting into the team. Did pretty well and showed big potential. 

We only spotted him because we were looking at a keeper and then got all excited seeing Duran and got a march on the Portuguese teams watching him . Also he got called up to the national team maybe earlier than he should have based on his potential. 

In many ways he is the modern day version of the Gabby project where we took on a 15 year old who was quicker than the wind but couldnt control a ball to save his life and taught him how to play football .  So much to work on still with Duran but its clear to see the potential of working with him in the hope he gets to the top of the tree . 

Think you make some pretty valid points, although I think the comparison to Gobby is a tad wide of the mark, when you consider how long Gobby played professional football, and was still absolutely shocking at the end of his career.

In the case of Duran - there is plenty to work with and is already significantly better than Gobby.

I am definitely of the view that we should keep him - If anyone can coach him the finer arts, it’s Unai.

Its then down to Duran to listen and take on board the advice available to him.

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

As good as he was against Ajax, he was poor against West Ham. No doubt.

The system didn't work - Emery realised that - but it shouldn't mask the fact he struggled to control the ball or get into the game at all really. 

Shame. 

It's tempting to judge young players like Duran and Rogers every time they play, but that would be unfair. I remember Ramsey and Grealish weren't particular eye-catching in many of their earlier games but came good. Until they have a decent number of games under their belt we should try and enjoy the process, rather then get annoyed when the players don't meet our high expectations initially.

Posted (edited)

Definitely think there’s a player in there so I hope Villa persist with him either to give Watkins a rest or replace him when injured.

Certainly not playing together!

Edited by striker

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As much as Gabby let himself and the fans down this is just ridiculous. Gabby was smashing it for us under MON. 

Gabby scored 84 goals in over 300 games for us. Even his biggest fans could not call this “ smashing it “  dreadful footballer, who continues to steal a living as a pundit.

Dont think I have ever felt more annoyed as a fan, than the time Bruce exclaimed “ Gabby has been in at 08:30 because we were playing Blues at the weekend 😲😲

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As much as Gabby let himself and the fans down this is just ridiculous. Gabby was smashing it for us under MON. 

At the same age I think Gabby looked electric and then at 20/21 was a regular. Duran has a bit of catching up to do yet imo 

9 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Yeah agreed, that’s why I said “not every selection gamble pays off” in the post you responded to.

8 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

There were many things he did wrong but in that golden 3 year period under MON he was bloody brilliant for us. Pace like no other. Strong. Scored against the ' big ' teams and our bitter rivals.  Him Ash and Big John were tremendous fun to watch. The other stuff was reprehensible at times but i will only ever look back at 2007 to 2009 with fondness.

Yeah, best to look at Gabby as two different periods V1 - he was unplayable at times and scored so many critical goals for us - and Gabby V2 post MON where he completely shat all over the fans and the club. 

It’s hard not to detest him after he downed tools during our darkest days but still deserves some credit for what he did before MON left. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

Yeah, best to look at Gabby as two different periods V1 - he was unplayable at times and scored so many critical goals for us - and Gabby V2 post MON where he completely shat all over the fans and the club. 

It’s hard not to detest him after he downed tools during our darkest days but still deserves some credit for what he did before MON left. 

Never really considered him unplayable tbh with you. Sure if he kicked the ball in a straight line past you, he would most likely win the race to the ball, but never really offered much beyond this. 
I just didn’t like his attitude - in my opinion he lacked awareness of his own limitations as a footballer and therefore he had an over inflated view of himself - again this is just my opinion of course.

Its interesting that as far as I can recall - we never received much interest in his services, and equally more telling for me, I never heard opposing fans, say they would have liked him in their team.

Thankfully we now have much better strikers 👍🏻

On 17/03/2024 at 18:01, Reivax_Villa said:

Until he fixes his mentality he will never be HIM..

What mentality? He is 20 years old and young players are inconsistent

People have him down as some sort of Balotelli like nutcase

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Smashing it he wasnt. He was a bit more reliable but his highest goals in a season ever was 16 and thats when he started every game

Duran has 5 this season and has started maybe 4 games

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Smashing it he wasnt. He was a bit more reliable but his highest goals in a season ever was 16 and thats when he started every game

Duran has 5 this season and has started maybe 4 games

Call it what you want he was a key player for us. Duran has hugh potential but to say he is already better than Gabby was in his earlier years is a gross exaggeration in my opinion.

I like Duran but I do wonder what his attitude is like. Seems to be very quick to start waving his arms around when things aren’t going well for him. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â