Jhon Durán

PieFacE

6 hours ago, YLN said:

I just wonder if you can coach instincts. I remember a 19/20 year old Adama Traore arriving with all the power, pace, running, dribbling but when it was time for decision-making or positioning he was found lacking.

We all argued that if we could coach him to make the right decisions and introduce the ability to look up to find a pass he would be the business. He's still playing PL which isn't a bad outcome but I feel like they're still trying to teach him to look up 9 years later. 

What I'm unsure about is whether or not Duran can be coached the soft attributes.

I mean he regularly gets in decent goal scoring positions. He had a free header in the box yesterday and 3 opportunities to have a shot where there was no one between him and the keeper (once he was fouled which should have been a pen and a red as there was no attempt to play the ball, once he committed a handball, and once he fouled). Idk getting 4 good goal scoring opportunities is hardly what I'd call bad instincts. A lot of his opportunities come from mistakes by the defender or saves as well. 

Plus he'd have been through on goal too when he got the ajax CB sent off as well. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 4

He's got a lot to work on the yeoman's side of the game. Holding up the ball. Linking play. Pressing. Covering for his teammates. Advancing us up the pitch when we're pinned deep.

But facing goal, he's a danger to the opponent and an eye for goal already.

And you'd rather be able to coach the other things than try to coach Keinan Davis on how to beat the keeper.

• Like 4

I love him. I would hate for him to be coming on against us, he is an old fashioned handful: big, strong, quick, direct and happy to shoot.

His finishing was his weakest link yesterday but still scored.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

He's got a lot to work on the yeoman's side of the game. Holding up the ball. Linking play. Pressing. Covering for his teammates. Advancing us up the pitch when we're pinned deep.

But facing goal, he's a danger to the opponent and an eye for goal already.

And you'd rather be able to coach the other things than try to coach Keinan Davis on how to beat the keeper.

Idk he's pretty good spinning in behind (though he does end up with heavy touches here) and with the ball directly to feet. The issue is when he has to move to get it he's not the most stable despite his strength. 

I enjoy watching him play…he is direct, full of energy and not short of ability

Yes, a rough diamond but we’ve got the best manager and coaching staff to shape him into a gem…if he lets them 

9 hours ago, lexicon said:

He played like Brobbey is hyped up to.

This. Brobbey was giving me Wesley vibes over the two legs. You just know some Prem team will pay £35m+ for him though and he’ll flop.

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

This. Brobbey was giving me Wesley vibes over the two legs. You just know some Prem team will pay £35m+ for him though and he’ll flop.

He's already linked with a few clubs, I think he'll go to a Top Club (tm) and waste. He doesn't have the It Factor that commands a huge fee but Eredivise DNA will do the job.

(Hi, Liverpool!)

Crucial times for him, Tim and Rogers. Especially the first two. They’re needed in a very crucial time, it’s not about them needing time to improve but we’ll demand a lot from them.

I think he will help us a lot in the coming games. Tough game Sunday, hopefully we can win that.

The other thing to add is that he couldn’t wish for a better striking mentor than Watkins. Even if he took away only 50% of Ollie’s dedication, work rate and perseverance he could become one of the best in the world. 

17 hours ago, thunderball said:

I love him. I would hate for him to be coming on against us, he is an old fashioned handful: big, strong, quick, direct and happy to shoot.

His finishing was his weakest link yesterday but still scored.

Yes mate, he’s a brave player. Was out injured for how long? Then comes on with a point to prove. Fired a few over the bar but got his reward in the end.. 

I honestly think he could be massive in the run in. Him being fit eases the burden on Ollie and also give us a whole other dynamic. Just when we needed it we have this other variable to our play.

I have this feeling him and Diaby are going to be important between now and the end of May.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I honestly think he could be massive in the run in. Him being fit eases the burden on Ollie and also give us a whole other dynamic. Just when we needed it we have this other variable to our play.

I have this feeling him and Diaby are going to be important between now and the end of May.

Ultimately though if Ollie is fit he starts every single prem game we have left. Maybe he might be on the bench for Europa if we have a 2 or 3 lead but that feels unlikely.

Duran is in the same position he was six months ago which is where the frustration started. He needs to be starting 20 games in a row somewhere sooner or later so the summer will be interesting.

Fulham took Broja on loan from Chelsea so they're clearly in the market for that profile of CF so I'd offer them Duran on season long loan.

He needs to be playing regularly next season and I just don't see how that's going to happen with Ollie still firmly the number one.

7 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

He very much reminds me of Darwin Núñez

I was thinking the same.  Looked very clumsy and trigger happy but wayward on arrival.  He got game time and now looks a very dangerous PL forward. The potential is definitely there with Duran

Absolutely agree.

In the Little, Gregory and O'Neill  eras we had a great first 11 but a weaker squad than other top 6 clubs. We also didn't have a whole pile of forward planning. For example, Gregory with a couple of exceptions tended to buy older players and O'Neill was similar.

I feel now that we have a better mix with a great first 11, some good backups, and some project players who are ready to break through and make an impact in the next 18 months.

Â