Match Thread: Spurs v Villa

limpid

So we have a clean sheet for the first half. 

Also 3 Spurs defenders have bookings.

Unai now needs to get them to maintain the defensive solidarity while the forwards/attacking midfield go on runs into the Spurs box - let’s see what happens.

Increasingly impressed with Kamara. Good games from Luiz, Young and Olsen also but a good all round performance so far

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Can’t decide if I’m happy or disappointed with this?  We’re clearly frustrating them but lacking in any attacking threat because of our shape.

No doubt Emery will be the happier of the two coaches but it’s a bit dire to watch.  

We started well but got pushed back as the half went on, relatively sound bar one or two moments.

Buendia is struggling again, struggling to get on the ball and then do anything of note with it, Bailey’s been equally as ineffective but he’s more liable to come up with something special.

Kamara again looks a cut above the rest.

Such a strange half. We haven’t played very well at all but we’re doing well to nullify them. We’re still terrible at putting ourselves under pressure with daft passes in our own third. 

Watkins and Bailey haven’t done much. Buendia has been rubbish and I think Luiz and Kamara have been fairly average. Olsen scares the life out of me. 

Id love a 0-0, but I think they’ll break us down at some point. 

Few thoughts.

Buendia has been poor, I don't see how he fits in an Emery team going forward. He's too slow, weak and wasteful.

Kamara has been excellent again. 

McGinn looks a lot better since Emery came in. Although it was a pretty low bar with his previous performances.

I think Mings being the aggressive centre back is working but we are very susceptible to them exploiting the space. I don't think the other defenders anticipate the danger quickly enough to be confident with this approach.

The approach is working but we need to improve going forward else we will inevitably tire and lose. 

Solid half. Say what you will about Tottenhams form of late but we're playing against the likes of Romero, Son, Kane and Conte away from home. We're clearly set up with the intention of dampening their attack whilst biding our time and looking for a gap. Let's see what the 2nd half brings. I can see Watkins or Bailey getting a goal on the break.

• Like 1

Really good shape. Spurs haven’t created much and we had a good chance with Ollie. Just need a little bit more going forward. 

I think we are missing Ramsey who can break the lines and quickly advance us 20/30yrds up the pitch

We’ve played that first half well, we’ve defended excellently and really restricted Spurs to half chances. They’re getting frustrated and the crowd is irritated. We I need to sharpen up our counters though, Bailey running into blind alleys isn’t enough. If we can get Buendia to pick the ball up from Kamara and Luiz and transition it quickly into Watkins/Bailey then we’ve got a chance. All three of their CBs are on yellows, let’s run at them and force some errors. 

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

I’d give Coutinho a run of games now, Buendia isn’t going to work here it’s time to admit. 

Concern here is the defensive side. Buendia has played very deep at times, and off the ball did ok. Its a shame on it's he's been so bad. If only we had Ramsey. 

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Can’t decide if I’m happy or disappointed with this?  We’re clearly frustrating them but lacking in any attacking threat because of our shape.

No doubt Emery will be the happier of the two coaches but it’s a bit dire to watch.  

we don't get points for aesthetic appeal.

The hardest of all watches for me, is seing the ball in the back of our net......so, if this keeps it out, Bravo, I say.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3