Match Thread: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Restricted them to very little but also offered no threat ourselves. Turned too passive last 10/15 minutes and let them dictate, think this will be corrected at HT. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Buendia for Coutinho although his defensive work-rate may be enough to hold this off till after HT.

It will open up 2nd half.

McGinn and Buendia have defended well dropping into the full back positions. That has limited our attacking options though, we need to find the balance between last week’s slightly gung-ho approach and this weeks defensive display. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

we don't get points for aesthetic appeal.

I get loads of enjoyment seeing a team with good shape. We’ve given very little away, it’s great. 

We are so pedestrian moving the ball up the pitch. Been the same problem for years.

We've shown when we do move the ball at pace we can hurt teams but we rarely do it. Bizarre. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think its a bit harsh on buendia. He's doing his job defensively but none of them are doing much on the ball 

Sorry,

Lightweight Paul, Nothings is coming from him, and he can't stay on the ball.

Edited by TRO

Spurs plan is always to sit deep, draw out the opposition, and then counter with Kane and Son.

We are trying to do the same to them, unfortunately, the counter part doesnt work if you keep making wrong decisions and poor passes when you get the ball

1 minute ago, VillaAlex said:

I'd probably bring Ings on for Buendia and keep Oli wide.

I’m a massive Ings fan but if Archer is on the bench, the kid with something different and a selfish mind and can run at players, I’d give him a crack at them.

• Like 1

Defensively a relief so far (though we were also 0-0 at half-time against them last season and look how that ended up!). But in attack, for goodness sake, yet another first half without a single attempt on target, so frustrating! How about simply increasing the time spent on shooting practice in training?!