Time Wasting

Genie

13 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Its terrible. It ruins the game as a spectacle and it needs to be stamped out. Martinez is the main culprit. 

Maybe so but we are at the point where we need every point , i'm glad we finally have a team with a bit of this running through us

I don’t mind a bit of time wasting - the sort where it’s already stoppage time and you’re literally seeing the game out. Today was a farce and pretty embarrassing to watch, to be honest.

It was absolutely everything that if, say, Man Utd were doing against us, we’d be hating and on here slagging them off, deriding “rat boy” for feigning injury etc.

I guess thems the double standards in football, eh?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Has happened for years and will keep happening. If football just changed to 2 x 30 min clock that pauses when the ball isn't in play then this removes all of this time wasting instantly. It also removes the chance of bent refs to add on more time for the top teams.

Came here to post something similar. To be honest, time wasting is a cancer in football and it doesn’t get looked at enough. Villa wasted a lot of time today and whilst it’s great that it’s helped us see out the win, ultimately, you have to ask yourself, have fans come to see a game of football and to be entertained or a team just waste as much time as possible with no intention of taking throw ins and goal kicks quickly?

Its great that it’s helped us get 3 points today but somewhere down the line, we’re going to be those Brighton fans complaining and moaning that a team has done it to us. 

I think I read somewhere that the ball is in play, on average, for 58 minutes of a PL match. That’s pretty shocking if you think about it. Surely the answer is to stop the clock if the ball goes out of play and perhaps shorten the match? I don’t know, but time wasting is horrible in general and it’s the fans that get robbed at the end of the day. 

• Like 4

Until the league stops the big teams from doing it, and getting away with it, I say we crack on. 

I have waited decades for the cheating to stop against us. It hasn't happened, so that must be the game that the game makers want us to play. 

I'd much prefer it if we didn't, but until they change the rules so that it isn't advantageous to the team doing it, it won't stop happening. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think I read somewhere that the ball is in play, on average, for 58 minutes of a PL match

It's not that high ....  see my post above and it tends to be the bottom-half clubs that were the culprits.

It is my biggest pet hate in modern football, and one of the reasons I can very rarely sit through a full game of football on TV when Villa are not involved. I have BT Sport so used to watch a fair amount of Serie A and it is even worse there. It absolutely kills the game for a neutral when one teams sole focus becomes slowing the game down and keeping the ball out of play. Obviously we were at it today but I was still glued to the screen because I'm praying for Villa to get over the line, but if I was a neutral I would've turned off in anger. 

It could be quite easily stamped out by the solution outlined in an earlier post (the 60 minute stop watch) and i believe the authorities are exploring that, but I think we are some way away from seeing that implemented. 

One simple way of addressing it would be to actually use stoppage time appropriately. It is absolutely bizzare how arbitrary the decision is around how many minutes are added on. It seems like there is no science / method to it whatsoever. I think it should be much more common to see 8-10 minutes added on (like in our game today) than the typical 3 minutes that you see in most games. 

• Like 2

I was shocked to hear the commentators showing what seemed to be genuine concern after Martinez went down in the second half. It was pretty obvious there was nothing wrong with him. 

I don’t mind those tricks in the last few minutes but doing it 50 minutes in, it’s a bit embarrassing really. 

10 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I was shocked to hear the commentators showing what seemed to be genuine concern after Martinez went down in the second half. It was pretty obvious there was nothing wrong with him. 

I don’t mind those tricks in the last few minutes but doing it 50 minutes in, it’s a bit embarrassing really. 

Outfield players have to go off the pitch after receiving treatment to avoid piss taking. I guess it doesn’t apply to goalkeepers, which is why Emi did it.

3 minutes ago, WHY said:

The Argentinian are masters at the dark arts of football. Will be absolutely screwing if we meet them at the World Cup and Emi gets up to his tricks but don’t mind it for us! 

I'm gonna shock some of you here: I honestly think I would rather Emi win the World Cup than England.

• Like 3

Every team does this.

I don't know how many times we've been in a losing position (big sample size with Gerrard in command) and when it comes to the 75th minute you know the game is over. The opposition knows how to run the game down, including substitutions, delaying restarts, fake injuries, whatever.

Emi Martinez is a master of the dark arts and I love it how he riles up the opposition fans - because you know it has the same effect on the opposition players too.

What annoys me more is cynicism. Man City get away with this all the time.

Whenever it looks like the opposition might do something they tactically foul. They are so good at it that the person committing the foul is never the same and they are rarely booked for it. And this is despite them already having the majority of the ball.

For mine, that is more anti-football than anything we are doing to run down the clock.

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Everyone in the ground knew he wasn't injured when he threw the ball out after saving. I was actually surprised Brighton gave us the ball back as that was blatant gamesmanship/cheating.

that was ridiculous. was quite a gamble by emi. i'd have been livid if villa gave the ball back in that situation and most of the brighton crowd were calling on their team to keep it

Â