Time Wasting

Genie

I will hand wring about our time wasting if the Rodri’s, Fabinho’s, and Casemiro’s of the world ever get booked for their dozens of tactical fouls a game. 

Until then, I will take the time wasting whenever it results in points. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I will hand wring about our time wasting if the Rodri’s, Fabinho’s, and Casemiro’s of the world ever get booked for their dozens of tactical fouls a game. 

Until then, I will take the time wasting whenever it results in points. 

Pep, Klopp, Arteta etc call it game management. The stars in their eyes pundits back them up and at the same time condemn us for doing it.

With Unai in charge and as we rise up the table the idiots like Linacre and co. will start to change their attitude. Not much mind we’re The Villa so they’ll struggle with the concept of not patronising us and putting us down at every opportunity. D1ckheads!

• Like 2

No such thing as time wasting, it is added on at the end by the officials. This is a big part of game management too, I think it is disgusting we are being accused of cheating - when so many teams do the same or worse to spoil games. Lock this thread and get behind the team. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

No such thing as time wasting, it is added on at the end by the officials. This is a big part of game management too, I think it is disgusting we are being accused of cheating - when so many teams do the same or worse to spoil games. Lock this thread and get behind the team. 

We have take it a little far. I’m all for shit housing but if Martinez picks up many more yellows he will get suspended then it’s Olsen time. I’m not against “game management” but we need to be a bit better at it. 

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

We have take it a little far. I’m all for shit housing but if Martinez picks up many more yellows he will get suspended then it’s Olsen time. I’m not against “game management” but we need to be a bit better at it. 

he needs another 7 yellows for a ban , its about time we played nasty like the better teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Nope. I don't think we have gone too far. Under Emery we quick counter a lot and attack space, so that contradicts the term "time wasting". Most will agree, It is strong game management to slow a game down in the closing stages and naturally players tire too. Every team does it, every successful team does it. It is media driven BS that we time waste and cheat. It is sour grapes from bitter opponents and from pundits with agendas that know we can be a genuine threat in this league. Man City are hailed for their "cheating", which is a lot worse.

As for the bookings of our World Cup winner, I think that is down to poor and weak officiating. Martinez has created a reputation (due to his success) for himself - so a Ref sees this as a golden opportunity for themselves in front of the cameras. It is obvious. 😂 Oliver wanted an autograph with him.

I just hope we can change the perception of others, which will allow our game management to be judged fairly and impartially. But it will take a very brave ref to take that sort of action in the short term. I expect more bookings.

Edited by Villa_Vids

5 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

"Time wasting" isn't just about running down the clock. It can take the momentum out of the opposition, allow us to recover and reset and, of course, kill some of the in-play gametime. 

It's a fine line that Emi runs, but he's only on 3 yellows for the season FYI.

So only 7 away from a few games ban then FYI

35 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Looks like we have more cautions for time wasting than any other team and we're one of the lowest for having the ball in play,

If it winds up other teams and we keep getting results then I'm all for it!

We indulge in a bit of time wasting while Man U have Howard Webb on their books. There's always something swings and roundabouts 😂

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Its martinez that gets on my nerves. He is getting one booking a game for doing it. It pisses me off

He has 8 yellow cards in 91 Villa games and he has been doing it since he got here

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Looks like we have more cautions for time wasting than any other team and we're one of the lowest for having the ball in play,

If it winds up other teams and we keep getting results then I'm all for it!

Yeah I couldn’t give two ****

Also, refs are much quicker to pull a card for time wasting when it’s certain clubs.

The idea that Man Utd have only deserved 2 all season is … debatable

• Like 1

What I would say is the football authorities should look into better ways of preventing time wasting.

As the rules stand, it makes sense to do it in certain situations, and our players should be making the most of the rules where they can.

But it does spoil the spectacle, and perhaps a rule where if you delay a free kick it gets moved forward 10 yards would help. Or if you take longer than X seconds to take a goal kick it becomes a corner. They need to think more creatively on this because all clubs do it. Don’t know why we’re getting singled out.

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

What I would say is the football authorities should look into better ways of preventing time wasting.

As the rules stand, it makes sense to do it in certain situations, and our players should be making the most of the rules where they can.

But it does spoil the spectacle, and perhaps a rule where if you delay a free kick it gets moved forward 10 yards would help. Or if you take longer than X seconds to take a goal kick it becomes a corner. They need to think more creatively on this because all clubs do it. Don’t know why we’re getting singled out.

If they started booking keepers after 50 minutes instead of 90 + minutes then it would be stopped as then that's a long spell of the game to try to avoid what Meselier did and then the keeper gets sent off (with potentially all subs used).

Just booking a keeper right at the end is a total cop out from refs but I assume as so many do it's a directive they are given start of the season.

At the end of the day we're in a transition period. In the long term I expect Emery wants us to exert more control over games but right now we don't necessarily have all the players (or have them drilled properly) to be able to do it right, so we're taking a form of control of games by other means.

Right now it's working so hard to argue with, and it's giving the team a collective experience of seeing out leads.

Again I don’t see any issue with it as it kills the opponents momentum. Yes it’s not pretty and we’ll have a reputation for doing it (no different to the big teams across Europe), but these things are what it takes to win.

It’s just managing the game and controlling the momentum of the game. Teams that do this usually are more likely to win the game. It won’t backfire on us that much, but I’d imagine if it does back fire there will be some unhappy fans.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I just don't see the point in it when you're winning 1-0 in the 65th minute. 

Does Emery tell them to do it?

Doing it against Leeds was a tactical decision. Leeds is in a hurry to do everything and wants to wear opponents down with its energy. Slowing the game down as much as possible isn't as much about protecting the lead as it is saving the legs. Particularly after you're forced into two early substitutions due to injury.

• Like 1

Â