Time Wasting

Genie

This has become a concern for me. Emery is only 6 games in, and already we seem to have become labelled as a team who do this. Personally I hate to see it, but if we get a win, I'll not care. 

But, I think Leeds' last free kick on Friday took them longer to take than the one where Kamara got booked. It is becoming clear to me that we've now got a reputation, and the bookings and added minutes will start mounting very quickly. This will result in players missing games and us conceding at some point.

I don't think we're being smart about it. Too blatant; too often and too long. Surely there's a sweet spot somewhere?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

This has become a concern for me. Emery is only 6 games in, and already we seem to have become labelled as a team who do this. Personally I hate to see it, but if we get a win, I'll not care. 

But, I think Leeds' last free kick on Friday took them longer to take than the one where Kamara got booked. It is becoming clear to me that we've now got a reputation, and the bookings and added minutes will start mounting very quickly. This will result in players missing games and us conceding at some point.

I don't think we're being smart about it. Too blatant; too often and too long. Surely there's a sweet spot somewhere?

Completely agree. But it's not Emery is it? It started with Smith and hasn't stopped. Is it the players mentality? Most times we go a goal up, whether in first half or second half, it immediately feels as if we are playing out time. 

I said at the game Friday that we ended the first half as if it was the end of the second half. Ultimately though a wins a win and we have felt the opposition has been unjust in different ways to us for years. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Don't like it, but I'd rather see us time wasting than concede a late goal.

I agree 100%. My point is that I'm worried it could backfire.

Take a booking and add some time to stop the opposition building up a head of steam? Absolutely. 
Take a few extra seconds, and make sure we're in shape defensively for every stoppage in play? Absolutely.
Take the piss, and give the opposition 6, 7, 8 minutes injury time whilst picking up 2 or 3 bookings a game? Not sure this won't hurt us more than it helps.

I mean - Stevenage found a way to score twice in the last few minutes. We have form!

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

This has become a concern for me. Emery is only 6 games in, and already we seem to have become labelled as a team who do this.

It’s funny how the rags don’t label the top 6 the same, who do it every game. 

We have been soft and naive for far too long. I have no issue with it. 

56 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Don't like it, but I'd rather see us time wasting than concede a late goal.

It’s pointless though, the wasted time gets added on.

9 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

"Time wasting" isn't just about running down the clock. It can take the momentum out of the opposition, allow us to recover and reset and, of course, kill some of the in-play gametime. 

It's a fine line that Emi runs, but he's only on 3 yellows for the season FYI.

You are correct - but those three yellows have all come in the four games he has started for Emery.

• Thanks 1

we shithouse our way with our time wasting for, Brighton away, Spuds away, and Leeds home. That brought us 9 out of 9 points. Also, we can't really time waste unless we are in the lead, so credits due on that as well.

Yes at home, it would have been nice if we can dominate, but clearly either the players are not capable of this is still part of the washing processed to clear the old SG system away. Let's hope this is something Emery is working on to improve

The bookings is one thing but what's REALLY bugging me is we are so slow when ahead that we actually block our own momentum. There is so little will to keep things ticking over and flowing that if we then concede a goal it's almost impossible to get going again. 

Against Dirty Leeds I was willing us to push for a second but the players were jogging around, passing the ball around on throw ins, taking all free kicks backwards.  I wanted us to press for a second to create a buffer. 

Now as it turns out we did get a second somewhat against the run of play but on another day and probably against better opponents we don't and then a lack of concentration, one mistake loses us points. 

I'm not saying go gung ho, but we shouldn't try to bring the game to a standstill just because we're winning.   Christ we had a player booked in the 63rd minute for time wasting at home. That's not healthy. 

42 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

As I mentioned above, it's as much about disruption of flow and momentum, plus allowing us to reset, as it is about running down the clock.

As I mentioned above, we do it so much it's also affecting our own flow and momentum in my opinion. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As I mentioned above, we do it so much it's also affecting our own flow and momentum in my opinion. 

I've not seen us try to waste time when we're in the ascendancy, only when the opposition is creating chances.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

It’s funny how the rags don’t label the top 6 the same, who do it every game. 

We have been soft and naive for far too long. I have no issue with it. 

This.

Its  been missing from our game for far to long.

I hope our signings in the rest of the window have other skills in “shithousery” too!

Whatever it takes I want us to do it there are NO unsuccessful teams that do this stuff every team that time wastes and dives and are generally annoying are also winners.

The issue we’re going to have (because of how obviously we do it) is that we’ll earn a reputation and refs will be quicker to add more injury time and to get out the yellow cards.

I’d prefer to see it wiped from the game but that’s not going to happen so perhaps we could just be a little more subtle with it. 

Â