Time Wasting

Genie

43 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I thought it was disgraceful they got 8 minutes. 

Wasn't even close to that.

Yeah was very bizarre. IIRC United got 6 minutes last week and there were arguably longer stoppages in that game. I don't blame the players for trying to run the clock down.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think there were 6 sub breaks (a couple of them were double subs) so that’s usually 30 seconds each = 3 mins.

Goal is usually 30-60 seconds? = 3:30 - 4 mins total

Buendia injury + Martinez “injury” = ??? Maybe brings you up to 5:30 mins?

Lots of fouls & free kicks, slow goal kicks and throw ins.

8 mins was maybe a bit excessive but it wasn’t far off that.

Problem is refs generally don’t add enough time on unless Man Utd are losing, so we’re used to it being less.

Edited by KentVillan

Two totally pointless yellow cards for Cash and Martinez and eight minutes of added time suggest there is a heavy price to pay for time wasting, I’m struggling to identify the advantages it gives us to counterbalance punishments like that.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Two totally pointless yellow cards for Cash and Martinez and eight minutes of added time suggest there is a heavy price to pay for time wasting, I’m struggling to identify the advantages it gives us to counterbalance punishments like that.

Tbf the Cash booking was absurd.

• Like 1

Did any of you guys watch Brighton against Wolves and Chelsea recently where they saw both games out to win. They were every bit as bad as we were today! They reap what they sew is how I look at it. Why on earth should we disadvantage ourselves but not following suit?

• Like 1

I agree with the OP.  I would say that we've needed for a long time to be a bit more streetwise.  For example Man City are very adept at the tactical fouling to end breakaways, and players like Xhaka are very good at causing bust ups to waste a bit of time.. But I think today and recently against Leeds has been OTT.  Especially Martinez.  It will come back to bite him one day.  I guess we'll be fined too for getting 7 yellows. That said I've never seen us get 8 minutes added when teams have done it to us. 

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Seemed excessive to me. Newcastle v Chelsea got 8 mins and that was with a player bleeding from the head.

I don't think I've ever seen 8 minutes when there wasn't some sort of serious injury. 

Up to 80th minute I'd agree but from that up to injury time there was hardly any football played with the constant stop start nature which we wanted.

Martinez was certainly down for two minutes and then we decided to make a triple sub and Brighton manager also decided to get himself booked over the non penalty so that prettty much accounted for half of the eight minutes in the end.

If we're to become a serious team in the league again we need to show we can come through that type of adversity and actually win the game so I wasn't too bothered especially as Brighton were still passing sideways amongst themselves 6 minutes into the added time which was an incredible watch since they were losing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Yes but why give them the excuse to add 8 minutes when aome of our players blatently are doing it. Martinez has had 2-3 bookings for time wastjng. Its embarrassing 

I was amazed when EMI got booked and the little box popped up to say it’s only his second yellow of the season. Thought it would be more. 

It helps us see out games and we’ve pulled it off today. The 8 mins added on was also killed off pretty well today too. It was a tight game that required a bit of steel and disruption to Brightons play. 

I’m ok with it to be honest, but hopefully just not every week - needs must sometimes. 

Â