Time Wasting

Genie

I’m not a fan of it, it makes for a boring game and is frustrating to watch. It’s a valid tactic to help see a game out but when the yellows are mounting up it’s going to cause issues. I’d much rather we take the sting out with slick ball retention, but we’re a long way from that yet. 

• Like 2

Its annoying but referees can add the time on if they like. There's only benefit if the ref isn't stopping the watch. If we were not so obvious today, probably 8 minutes would have been 5/6

I remember in DS last game Southampton pissed me off no end , horrible second half and there was no where near enough injury time, these bafoons got 8 minutes today , can't complain

Edited by Villarcana

Brighton wasted more time when there manager got his yellow card. 

Manure did it on Sunday, experts at it and Spurs are as well. We're poor at it but the media seem to set the agenda against us when we do it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, penguin said:

Hate it but it’s on the officials to do something about it. I take it as a given that players will do, and push to the limit, everything they can to extract an advantage.

If you booked a keeper after 20 minutes for taking a slow GK then they certainly wouldn't be risking it for next hour.

I can actually remember Friedel getting booked away to Arsenal in first half once but it's very rare. Would imagine it's a silent directive to refs to just book them end of the game as you don't want to send off players unless you really have to.

We wouldn't like it if other teams did it to us but we should embrace every tactic we can to see a game out because Brighton would have beaten us today if we hadn't done what we did and if Gerrard or Smith were in charge. It's all about marginal gains! 

2 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

We wouldn't like it if other teams did it to us but we should embrace every tactic we can to see a game out because Brighton would have beaten us today if we hadn't done what we did and if Gerrard or Smith were in charge. It's all about marginal gains! 

Brighton wouldn't have beaten us if we had played for 180 minutes,  they wouldn't have even scored if we didn't give them a golden chance, there a good side but they was poor today. 

It undoubtedly makes the end of games boring to watch. I would potentially be interested in 60-minute games where the clock stops every time the ball is dead, which might eliminate some of this from the sport. But for now, we are playing the sport the way it is currently refereed and controlled, and under the current system even 11 yellow cards would be a good price for 3 points. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

It's a thing of beauty and I love it and it drives the opposition mad, proper game management.

We turned a 93 minute game into a 98 minute game, picked up a bunch of yellows and look like a team of words removed. 

Not sure it’s effective, or a “thing of beauty” tbh.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Whatever way you look at it it helped us to our first away win of the season at a difficult place to go. Sometimes you just gotta do whats necessary to stop the horrid run, which is exactly what our run of away games was.

Really, how did it help? We extended the game by a good 5 mins and got a load of bookings.

I think it increased the chance of us getting punished personally.

Teams do it all the time. We’ve had it done against us more often than not. If it gives us an advantage then who cares. We spent many years being a ‘nice’ and ‘honest’ side it hasn’t got us anywhere. Time for that to change. Sod every single side that plays against us. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

Just now, Tayls said:

Teams do it all the time. We’ve had it done against us more often than not. If it gives us an advantage then who cares. We spent many years being a a ‘nice’ and ‘honest’ side it hasn’t got us anywhere. Time for that to change. Sod every single side that plays against us. 

This is the point i’m trying to make, where are we getting an advantage?

Long term we have more yellows to hurt us later. Short term we’ve got to see out 8 minutes of injury time.

Love it when we do it, hate when teams do it to us.  

The fact that most teams do it and have done for decades, it’s just part of the game.  

We aren’t good enough to hold the ball for minutes and thus this is our way to run the clock out.  

I’d rather what we did today than walk away with a draw.  

It’s that simple, nobody will remember the time wasting in a months time but they will remember the win and more importantly the vital points and improved league position.

We needed extreme time wasting today, especially the way Brighton play we needed to break their flow which ever way we can. Obviously would be great if Emery can get this group of players to play that sort of possession football but with the end product.

Although like someone had said here, Brighton wasted as much time for their manager's complain and his booking

I hate it when other teams do it because it's frustrating as hell. But then again, that's the point.

The fact that so much extra time is added as a result suggests it's not necessarily meant to waste time exactly, rather to get under the other team's skin and wind them up. I'd say most of the time when the opponent is riled up they're less likely to be effective.

If that's the case, then I'm all for it as a tactic. It's not great to watch, but damned if it isn't effective.

• Like 1

Â