Time Wasting

Genie

I was curious what the general consensus was on here with regards to Villa’s extreme time wasting in recent times.

For me there’s game management, you obviously don’t rush to take your set pieces, and you don’t sprint off when being subbed but Villa seem to be going down the road of taking the piss which personally I’m not a fan of.

Martinez pushing things to the extreme with exceptionally long goal kicks, fake injuries and fake spats all the run down the clock.

Lots of yellow cards today too which will come back and bite us at some point, plus the ref added 8 minutes so it suggests there isn’t a huge amount of benefit.

What the VT view on it? Should we be going to these lengths to disrupt the flow of league games? Or should we be a bit more classy and play the game out (with caveats as mentioned above)?

• Like 4

Emi does take it to extremes on occasions.

Everyone in the ground knew he wasn't injured when he threw the ball out after saving. I was actually surprised Brighton gave us the ball back as that was blatant gamesmanship/cheating.

Beyond that it's what you have to do to win a tough away game. How many times has a side done us at VP by endlessly wasting in last 20 minutes?

8 minutes were added on and when you consider there was only one goal and a few stoppage for subs probably ref put on about five minutes for time wasting so we were punished as that's still on extreme end of scale.

• Like 1

I had a feeling it would be a very divisive subject.

Many will certainly fall in the side of “I don’t care if we win” and I get that.

Several yellow cards suggest it wasn’t all done within the rules. A lot of it also not done within the spirit of the game (Martinez). 
The ref added a huge amount of time, when the players are tired also suggests it’s not really the best idea anyway.

I understand why people would hate it as it’s 'unsavoury', but I’m here for it provided it works. I’m kind of tired of us trying to be nice and play nice, most of the elite teams in the world are the opposite of that. If we aspire to be an elite club then we should also do things like timewasting etc. 

For a while I’ve always wondered why our players don’t commit tactical fouls in the same way other clubs do(In the way Rodri for City does it)

• Like 1

In fine with it if done properly. I’m not sure causing 8 mins of added time, getting several bookings and phasing Brighton off to the extent they really wanted to finish us was the right way to do it. Throwing the ball out was **** stupid from Martinez and I was amazed Brighton gave it back.

We should be wasting more in possession and if not in possession be a bit smarter about how we do it. 

• Like 3

Always hated time wasting. I would prefer it to not happen, at least not to the degree it happened today. Don’t mind Emi taking slightly longer to launch the ball every now and then. Mentioned this in the game thread but time wasting should be done through maintaining possession and trapping the ball in corners. But I’m an idealist.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 3

Yellow cards are part of football, just like a foul.  Brighton wasted 2 minutes in extra time just passing the ball back forth across their back line. They seemed in no real rush, so good sportsmanship on Villa to slow it down to there pace. 

Â