Time Wasting

Genie

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

By preventing Brighton, who were in danger of getting a groove on, from building up a head of steam, and by annoying their fans so that the game became petty stop-start rather than them driving the team forward for one last push. 

If your argument in this thread is that time wasting is ugly, boring to watch, cynical or unsportsmanlike, those are all defensible opinions. If it is that time wasting is *ineffective* then there's no need for a discussion because that's just clearly wrong. 

I’m not sure it’s clearly wrong. We had to see out 8 minutes of pressure where Brighton pumped balls into the penalty area. 

I think it’s very difficult to quantify if it’s effective tbh. We have seen many, many games with goals scored +7, +8, +9 due to failed times wasting.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is the point i’m trying to make, where are we getting an advantage?

Long term we have more yellows to hurt us later. Short term we’ve got to see out 8 minutes of injury time.

It doesn’t offer much but it is something we can do to manage the game out. For example when a goalkeeper catches a ball he doesn’t need to then go to ground holding it. They aren’t booked for that every time but sometimes they will be. In my post I was referring to any kind of time wasting or shithousery that manages the game out in our favour. Bring it on. 

Edited by Tayls

22 minutes ago, Villarcana said:

Its annoying but referees can add the time on if they like. There's only benefit if the ref isn't stopping the watch. If we were not so obvious today, probably 8 minutes would have been 5/6

I remember in DS last game Southampton pissed me off no end , horrible second half and there was no where near enough injury time, these bafoons got 8 minutes today , can't complain

They spent twice as much time picking the ball out of the back of the net than we did. Serves them right, if you live by the sword you’ve got to die by it too. 

Just now, Tayls said:

It doesn’t offer much but it is something we can do to manage the game out. For example when a goalkeeper catches a ball he doesn’t need to then go to ground holding it. They aren’t booked for that every time but sometimes they will be. In my post I was referring to any kind of time wasting or shithousary that manages the game out in our favour. Bring it on. 

Catching the ball, dropping go the floor is a little bit naughty and kills a few seconds. That’s normal.

Catching the ball, falling to the ground, pretending to be injured, throwing the ball off the pitch to get some unnecessary treatment. That’s a bit small heath, and the time got added on anyway.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would potentially be interested in 60-minute games where the clock stops every time the ball is dead, which might eliminate some of this from the sport. 

Agreed. The rules exist to stamp timewasting out, but it's not dealt with strictly enough, I'd be all for this so it just isn't possible to timewaste with the ball out of play

Today for example, some Villa fans think we were hard done by with 8 minutes time added on. The whistle blew on 98:10 after how much extra time wasting in that 8 minutes?

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Catching the ball, dropping go the floor is a little bit naughty and kills a few seconds. That’s normal.

Catching the ball, falling to the ground, pretending to be injured, throwing the ball off the pitch to get some unnecessary treatment. That’s a bit small heath, and the time got added on anyway.

Probably got into the heads of the opponents though especially if they have the momentum. It’s a chance to slow things down, maybe a chance for the coaches to get some messages across. Or… maybe the injury was legit. We won’t know. I still don’t care though, it happens against us so often - it’s another reason why the game itself is becoming less enjoyable though. 

Edited by Tayls
Spelling

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not sure it’s clearly wrong. We had to see out 8 minutes of pressure where Brighton pumped balls into the penalty area. 

I think it’s very difficult to quantify if it’s effective tbh. We have seen many, many games with goals scored +7, +8, +9 due to failed times wasting.

Nah, points matter more than anything else and it isn't close, especially for sides who are trying not to get relegated. We have a squad, and nearly every position has at least an adequate back up, so even if we'd gotten a red card or two it would still have been a good price to pay to get two extra points. 

i think the problem is, that unwarranted "time wasting" is now just added on at the end of the game, so its kinda pointless, especially the yellow card you get for doing it.

The best type of time wasting now is taking slightly longer for taking goal kicks, free kicks, throw ins etc etc, but defo short of a yellow card, as getting a yellow card for it is just silly imo.

For me, the kind of extreme time wasting we are doing isnt clever, our players are getting yellow cards for it, and the time is then just added on at the end......so its double silly.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is the point i’m trying to make, where are we getting an advantage?

Long term we have more yellows to hurt us later. Short term we’ve got to see out 8 minutes of injury time.

It killed Brighton's momentum and frustrated them. They couldn't get anything going and it allowed us to stave off any sustained, intense period of pressure.

• Like 2

Comes as part of a bigger picture IMO. To climb the league, we can't be gallant losers. The dark arts of the game are a necessary evil in order to have that ruthless streak running through the team.

It's not a contest to win over opposition fans so that they think Villa are a nice team - this is a competition and we need to do what we can to win.

Even the most talented of sides like Man City time waste, know how to 'win' free kicks and penalties, not to mention hound refs when decisions don't go their way. 

Unsavoury? Yes. Necessary to keep winning? Also a yes.

• Like 3

To add to this, as someone that's lived overseas for many years, you ask fans of other teams what they know about Aston Villa and they won't have much to say, other than we've been a team of pushovers for years.

Give me a winning team that stretches the boundaries of fair play over being a pushover anyday. **** being nice.

• Like 1

I think when you’re away from home with a hostile crowd and it’s a tight game, it’s kind of par for the course. Very annoying when you’re on the receiving end of it, but these are vital points in a mid table six pointer that sets us up for the post World Cup run in, and you take the yellows for the cause.

Is it sportsmanlike? No. And tbh it’s good that the ref added time on appropriately. The more refs recognise it, the less teams benefit from it. A lot of refs don’t add enough time on, which is why it happens.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

Newcastle had that at Anfield earlier this season. In a normal game probably would've been about 5 minutes but Pope was taking ridiculous time on goal kicks so it went on to 98 minutes and Liverpool scored from the final corner.

As season goes on and Everton are desperately battling relegation again Pickford will be taking half an hour on goal kicks in games they're not losing.

Those two and Emi are probably the worst three keepers in the league for time wasting but all keepers do it to a degree and if ref just dosen't show them a yellow they'll all keep it until they are shown one.

I actually thought that rule that was brought in that players subbed had to go off the nearest touchline was a good move but seems that got stopped due to security issues with opposition players.

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

As said above I was genuinely amazed Brighton actually gave us the ball back from that as everyone in the ground knew there was no injury there to be treated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rustibrooks said:

For a while I’ve always wondered why our players don’t commit tactical fouls in the same way other clubs do(In the way Rodri for City does it)

Because they would be booked twice as often as Rodri etc and we would finish the games with 8 men. Same reason Lisandro Martinez can have a PL career at Man United when with Villa he’d be off after 20 mins every game.

• Like 3

Â