Pre-Match Thread

Sulberto21

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't get this.

How is it that prior to this, the claims were that we had a better squad than Newcastle et al, but just the Manager was poor.

Now the Manager is gone, we are off the back of a scintillating performance,and some are now saying we should still fear Newcastle.

Seems a bit hypocritical or moving goalpost - ish IMO.

Unless some are finally prepared to admit that maybe our squad actually isn't as good as they were making it out to be?

My thinking is, I’ve no idea how good our squad is. We routinely do poorly at St James Park even with our best teams (e.g. the 4-3 loss in the Yorke/Milosevic era). Plus we’re in a transition. So I don’t think we learn that much tomorrow.

Also I wasn’t part of any “claims” so no hypocrisy/goalpost moving on my part.

• Like 2

After the euphoria of Sunday it's difficult to know what to expect from us, whereas with Newcastle you pretty much know exactly how they are going to play. So I'm hoping we may have an element of surprise which may help us.

Our record up there is awful though, and they are a good team in good form, so anything is bonus from this one, I'd just like to see another positive performance. A point would be most welcome, 3 would be incredible.

1 hour ago, CBGB said:

My thinking is, I’ve no idea how good our squad is. We routinely do poorly at St James Park even with our best teams (e.g. the 4-3 loss in the Yorke/Milosevic era). Plus we’re in a transition. So I don’t think we learn that much tomorrow.

Also I wasn’t part of any “claims” so no hypocrisy/goalpost moving on my part.

Meh.

That Newcastle youtube bloke with Preece confidently predicted they would whip us 3 - 0.

I hope we hit them with shock and awe and rattle the f*ckers!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 7392craig said:

The players will see this as a chance to impress an incoming manager, you’ve got to fancy us.

This is my hope. Got to turn it on. Thing is we have massively underperformed thus far this season. Think we might be underestimated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3-1 to the mighty Villa.  Early goal puts us on the front foot in the first half, but after that, things will turn around.  

Newcastle are flying high right now, but so are we now that the shackles are off.  Everyone will want to do their best to impress Emery and nail down a place in his first lineup against Man United and/or continue to impress enough to get into their respective World Cup squads.  Also, ASM & Isak are out injured, which makes it a lot easier for our defense.  

image.png.ec7c85ba93cc190f5ae2d6462d695db7.png

image.png.f3562255ae751502a3108cabde1bc368.png

• Like 1

Weird vibe to this one. We're in a sort of purgatory. I guess Danks will set us up the exact same way and let them play free. Could be a very fun game to watch and we might just win it.

15 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just watched an interview with Preece and a Newcastle fan.

Proper wound me up how confident he is that they are going to destroy us.

Hope we turn them over.

Its noticeable how there’s been a seismic shift in the arrogance of their fans since the takeover. It would be really satisfying to burst their bubble today, just hearing a geordie accent say “miggy” this “miggy” that is enough to annoy me lol. Their manager is also morphing into a hamster right infront of our eyes.

• Like 1

It'll bring a real cheer if we get a win here today. I cannot remember the last time we actually cheered a win. We generally have only beat who we should.

As for the arrogant Newcastle fans, i'm finding Howe is turning into a manager who expects to beat everyone. He's gone from a grounded guy into "we did enough to win", "we were the better team", "we could have scored more", blah blah. They really need bringing back down to earth.

Strange day, I starting to actually care about the result, haven’t done that in a long time. This season, the expectations have been that we will be shit and lose, as a self preservation tactic I stopped caring.

I’m starting to believe we can get something out of this match, it will be a though match, but we have the quality to edge it.

Pretty sure the line up will be the same as last weekend, the formation looked good, and I think the selected 11 is the best we have for that formation.

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't get this.

How is it that prior to this, the claims were that we had a better squad than Newcastle et al, but just the Manager was poor.

Now the Manager is gone, we are off the back of a scintillating performance,and some are now saying we should still fear Newcastle.

Seems a bit hypocritical or moving goalpost - ish IMO.

Unless some are finally prepared to admit that maybe our squad actually isn't as good as they were making it out to be?

It’s not hypocritical at all, Newcastle are currently sitting in 4th.

Emery will need time to implement his a style which maximises what we have available, it’s not just a case of Gerrard is gone now so why aren’t we expected to win every game if the players are so good, this feels like a straw man argument.

Particularly as the vast majority believe we easily have a top half level squad, myself included, which were sitting 17th when Gerrard finally got sacked. Again Newcastle are 4th, let’s not get delusional and claim we should be beating everyone, that was never the argument.

• Like 1