Pre-Match Thread

Sulberto21

I'm inclined to say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and start the same  XI. But I haven't watched Newcastle this year, so I don't know what tactical adjustments may be necessary...I'd be curious to hear what anyone has to say about how they play.

I don’t want to sound obvious but this really could go any way. A draw would be a decent result, but we have nothing to fear. They are in bette shape now, but they are not genuine top 4 quality . Their fans will have the bit between their teeth riding high on the wave, plus they are not that keen on us and vice versa . Should make for an exciting game . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tinker said:

Cracking game on the cards , Newcastle doing well but slipped up a bit and we're on a high. If Newcastle beat us then they are closer to top 6 than most people think, my thoughts , they are a good team overachieving, I think we canm beat them , 3-1 , villa . 

When you say slipped up, what do you mean? Not on the wind up or owt, just genuinely curious. Always interesting to get a view from another fanbase.

Being 4th is quirk of the fixture list and I'm sure we'll drop a bit, but when ASM and Isak return to full fitness (plus whomever we buy in January) I think we've a decent chance to finish 5th-8th. Chiefly because the team that you'd have expected to be competing for those spots haven't started well; Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Wolves etc. 

Brighton and Fulham will fall away a bit as the season goes on, too.

6 hours ago, TomC said:

I'm inclined to say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and start the same  XI. But I haven't watched Newcastle this year, so I don't know what tactical adjustments may be necessary...I'd be curious to hear what anyone has to say about how they play.

High press, a lot of intensity, quite physical, not averse to the dark arts, a lot of attempted balls between the lines and into the half spaces, pulls backs from wide, interplay between midfielders and wide forwards to create overloads, creative set pieces.

Generally play a hybrid  4-5-1/4-3-3. Burn as LB tends to move central to form a back 3 when we're on the ball, allowing Trippier to have greater influence up the other end without leaving us short at the back.  Wilson as the central striker plays on the shoulder, looking for balls into space. However most of our goals are coming from the wide forwards or midfield. Defence is well drilled, comfortable on the ball and big. Schar is the shortest at 6'2", 

Would take a draw but there's a glimmer of hope. High off the last performance and result, looking to impress the new boss, hope for a bit of complacency from Newcastle. An early goal to quieten the crowd would be ideal. But as others have said - good to be excited about the weekends game again.

13 hours ago, tinker said:

Cracking game on the cards , Newcastle doing well but slipped up a bit and we're on a high. If Newcastle beat us then they are closer to top 6 than most people think, my thoughts , they are a good team overachieving, I think we canm beat them , 3-1 , villa . 

I saw a comment on their forum where a supporter thought they could do a Leicester and sneak the title.

They do have a good chance of getting top 4 though the way they are going.

Edited by ender4

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I don’t want to sound obvious but this really could go any way. A draw would be a decent result, but we have nothing to fear. They are in bette shape now, but they are not genuine top 4 quality . Their fans will have the bit between their teeth riding high on the wave, plus they are not that keen on us and vice versa . Should make for an exciting game . 

They are a team and play as a team, sure a bit workman like at times, but don't knock it, its effective, ....right now they have an intensity, that is reaping rewards, we have to match that.

It depends what Villa Team turns up.....but we are capable of giving them a tough game, but one swallow doesn't make a summer, either.

33 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I saw a comment on their forum where a supporter thought they could do a Leicester and sneak the title.

Absolutely zero chance of some kind of realistic title challenge. We're so far behind the elite clubs it's insane to suggest we could win the thing. Even the clubs that we're currently ahead of like Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd have greater strength in depth. I'd be happy with top half, delighted with 6th. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Absolutely zero chance of some kind of realistic title challenge. We're so far behind the elite clubs it's insane to suggest we could win the thing. Even the clubs that we're currently ahead of like Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd have greater strength in depth. I'd be happy with top half, delighted with 6th. 

Just enjoy it while you can, there is always a dark cloud waiting to burst....so enjoy the good times.

Eddie Howe has done a tremendous job, so far, and his pragmatic approach has worked well....it looks remarkably, well for you.

you have that distinction of being hard to play against, something I recognise, from certain past Villa Teams.....its a crucial platform, to build from.

There is no need for predictions, just keep going and see where it takes you, expectation is not a helpful friend, it can be a millstone......you might be pleasantly surprised, where all this takes you.

well done, so far.

just remember " be humble with your creativity and graceful with success" and you won't go far wrong.

Edited by TRO

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

Just enjoy it while you can, there is always a dark cloud waiting to burst....so enjoy the good times.

Eddie Howe has done a tremendous job, so far, and his pragmatic approach has worked well....it looks remarkably, well for you.

you have that distinction of being hard to play against, something I recognise, from certain past Villa Teams.....its a crucial platform, to build from.

There is no need for predictions, just keep going and see where it takes you, expectation is not a helpful friend, it can be a millstone......you might be pleasantly surprised, where all this takes you.

well done, so far.

just remember " be humble with your creativity and graceful with success" and you won't go far wrong.

I think because of the takeover and the money spent, Howe's accomplishments are often overlooked and it's heartening to see other fans recognising it. One frustration is that a lot of this could have been possible under Ashley rather than the Saudis. We could have appointed Howe, we could have signed players like Trippier, Burn, Pope, Targett, and maybe Bruno and Botman (though they're less likely, granted). 

Howe kind of reminds of Hughton, in a way. Understated, calm, bit boring, but gets the job done well and done professionally. The about face the squad has enjoyed from Bruce's time is remarkable. You'll no doubt know yourselves that Bruceball is very much "Roll wuh sleeves up and hope". Now we have a clear style, we have game management, we have variety and creativity at set plays. Our defence is the best in the league in terms of goals against, but our underlying performance metrics are good too. Shows we're not simply in a good run of form, but the way we approach the game will get results. Got to be up there for Manager of the Month and if we're top 6 at the end of the season, Manager of the Year too.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TheFish said:

I think because of the takeover and the money spent, Howe's accomplishments are often overlooked and it's heartening to see other fans recognising it. One frustration is that a lot of this could have been possible under Ashley rather than the Saudis. We could have appointed Howe, we could have signed players like Trippier, Burn, Pope, Targett, and maybe Bruno and Botman (though they're less likely, granted). 

Howe kind of reminds of Hughton, in a way. Understated, calm, bit boring, but gets the job done well and done professionally. The about face the squad has enjoyed from Bruce's time is remarkable. You'll no doubt know yourselves that Bruceball is very much "Roll wuh sleeves up and hope". Now we have a clear style, we have game management, we have variety and creativity at set plays. Our defence is the best in the league in terms of goals against, but our underlying performance metrics are good too. Shows we're not simply in a good run of form, but the way we approach the game will get results. Got to be up there for Manager of the Month and if we're top 6 at the end of the season, Manager of the Year too.

There was a time, when your defence was benevolent, with Clarky having a regular error in him and lascelles too.....that has changed, and it does have a knock on effect, to other area's of the pitch.

The changes with Trippier, Burn,  Botman and Pope have been huge...and imo a real influence on the other enhancements of the team, Guimares was a shrewd bit of business and the transformation of Joelinton, is remarkable, too....Callum Wilson is always a threat when fit, an underrated striker imo

I think you deserve all the success, you can muster and anyone who challenges the sneaky 6, I'm all for it.

Newcastle, like Villa are a sleeping Giant......I am enjoying watching, the transformation of what was a struggling team, I find it fascinating...best of luck.

I hope we can emulate, your metamorphosis, and join you in smashing them, that was quick to exit the league, for self interest.

Ps I don't think Ashley was ever right for you, in any big organisation a bad egg, spreads the mood and crates the toxicity.....don't look back, just look forward.

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Anything is possible, with Momentum.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

There was a time, when your defence was benevolent, with Clarky having a regular error in him and lascelles too.....that has changed, and it does have a knock on effect, to other area's of the pitch.

The changes with Trippier, Burn,  Botman and Pope have been huge...and imo a real influence on the other enhancements of the team, Guimares was a shrewd bit of business and the transformation of Joelinton, is remarkable, too....Callum Wilson is always a threat when fit, an underrated striker imo

I think you deserve all the success, you can muster and anyone who challenges the sneaky 6, I'm all for it.

Newcastle, like Villa are a sleeping Giant......I am enjoying watching, the transformation of what was a struggling team, I find it fascinating...best of luck.

I hope we can emulate, your metamorphosis, and join you in smashing them, that was quick to exit the league, for self interest.

Ps I don't think Ashley was ever right for you, in any big organisation a bad egg, spreads the mood and crates the toxicity.....don't look back, just look forward.

pps just hope you have a day off on Saturday, time for the deck chairs me thinks.

3 hours ago, TheFish said:

High press, a lot of intensity, quite physical, not averse to the dark arts, a lot of attempted balls between the lines and into the half spaces, pulls backs from wide, interplay between midfielders and wide forwards to create overloads, creative set pieces.

Generally play a hybrid  4-5-1/4-3-3. Burn as LB tends to move central to form a back 3 when we're on the ball, allowing Trippier to have greater influence up the other end without leaving us short at the back.  Wilson as the central striker plays on the shoulder, looking for balls into space. However most of our goals are coming from the wide forwards or midfield. Defence is well drilled, comfortable on the ball and big. Schar is the shortest at 6'2", 

I think that has been your single most pragmatic change, that has transformed the team both directly and Indirectly.

The high press, is something, we have struggled with....but on Sunday, I saw a complete contrast to things we have struggled with.

I don't know, how to judge it, because one game, is what it is......should be a good contest.

obviously, I would like to take something from the game....but at the very least, if we give you a hard game, I will be satisfied.

Despite the purists, pouring scorn on aerial balls, I think they play a huge part, in many aspects of a game.....17% of all goals scored are headers, and midfield play can be opened up with a shrewd accurate header.

so there is an advantage, from having a few guys, with aerial ability, to balance, the rest of the play...I think its made a difference to you.