Pre-Match Thread

Sulberto21

Remind me of us second season in the PL under Smith, free flowing and enjoying playing football. Problem will come when they lose a game their expected to win, indifferent results can then follow. May not happen to them but it seems to be the way it goes with teams that appear to be outperforming their squads ceiling.

It's a free hit for us, keep them quiet for 20 minutes and with the pace we showed against Brentford ( I know it was only Brentford) we could easily nick a goal or two. Bailey, Beundia, Ings and Watkins are a formidable attacking threat when they play with confidence and after Brentford they should have it. 

3-1 to villa.

8 hours ago, Rodders said:

Newcastle having any form of success under their current owners, should **** embarrass the league. But it won't. And the fans accepting it all are contemptible. I don't give a shit about "we have no control", yeah you do, do something else with your saturdays you amoral pieces of shit. go watch **** gateshead or whatever until the terrorist funding warmongering psychopaths are gone. There's more to life that ripping your cock off because a club can spend repugnant levels of ill sourced money on the transfer rights of fellow footballers. 

**** newcastle. ( and yeah **** man city, **** chelsea, **** psg etc too )

Oh please. I hate all this holier-than-thou crap. If their owners brought us instead of Newcastle you would be over the moon, doing a little dance, romancing your partner and having a sit down wee as a treat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Oh please. I hate all this holier-than-thou crap. If their owners brought us instead of Newcastle you would be over the moon, doing a little dance, romancing your partner and having a sit down wee as a treat. 

at some point it can't be wrong to ask for some basic red lines in football. You may have no principles worth a damn but don't project them onto the rest of us. 

Edited by Rodders
Unneccessary
  • Like 4

Hate their owners but have a huge amount of respect for what Howe has done. Over the last 12 months i would say he would be manager of the year. And with Ashworth as DOF its a really good combo. 

Tough one but winnable. Just dont expect us to rip through them even if we are in Brentford form. They are solid . Proper solid.  And that crowd is proper behind them now. 

• Like 2

On 25/10/2022 at 21:14, imavillan said:

We have a truly awful record at St James Park

We have won once in all competitions out of the last 20 games stretching back to 2001

LOST - 10

WON - 1

DREW - 9

I'll be happy if we can come away adding to the draw tally 

It's bizarre how poorly we do there year in year out considering how good our record is at Boro and Sunderland in same period.

Couldn't win there in any of the seasons under MON nor when they were getting relegated. Had those 1-1s BCD aswell in recent times.

Just one of those grounds, says it all we've won at Old Trafford twice in that period and a few times at Emirates and Anfield.

On 26/10/2022 at 02:37, TomC said:

I'm inclined to say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and start the same  XI. But I haven't watched Newcastle this year, so I don't know what tactical adjustments may be necessary...I'd be curious to hear what anyone has to say about how they play.

I think we'll be unchanged bar a late injury.

Sort of game where Dendoncker would've probably started anyway but him and Luiz in the pivot is certainly need to try to disrupt Bruno Guimaraes. Buendia needs a run of starts and hopefully Ings can get consistency, scored a cracker v Newcastle last season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robby b said:

And the fact they've only drawn half their games this season gives us hope. Despite being 4th they've actually won less than half their matches and only two more than us. So we must have a half-decent chance of a win after our great performance on Sunday. UTV!!!!

Early season they had a few poor on paper results but battered Palace 0-0, were 3-1 up v Man. City and lost to Liverpool in 98th minute.

Getting 4 points from Man. United and Spurs away shows what they're about, very difficult to get anything if we go behind.

• Like 1

Its just great to see that we will now utilise this squad properly now. Having a strong bench and using it properly can maximise output on the pitch, like its supposed to do. Gerrard was the one advocating the change to 5 subs last season but was clueless in actually using it to his advantage. Straight away changing that midfield, Danks could call upon fresh legs of the likes of McGinn & Ramsey who have good engines anyway. Its just common sense, keeps everyone involved, no freezing out of players, maintains harmony.

Really hope we dont revert to type and throw in another stinker here; important to stay in the game early doors and grow into it against the backdrop of their crowd who will obviously be well up for it. Even if we lose, but play really well ill be happy, just need to see that wasnt a one off last week. The players know they have Emery watching on so that should bode well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tinker said:

Remind me of us second season in the PL under Smith, free flowing and enjoying playing football. Problem will come when they lose a game their expected to win, indifferent results can then follow. May not happen to them but it seems to be the way it goes with teams that appear to be outperforming their squads ceiling.

It's a free hit for us, keep them quiet for 20 minutes and with the pace we showed against Brentford ( I know it was only Brentford) we could easily nick a goal or two. Bailey, Beundia, Ings and Watkins are a formidable attacking threat when they play with confidence and after Brentford they should have it. 

3-1 to villa.

They've been keeping up this form since last season lad.

3rd on the form table at the end of last season post Howe.

This form hasn't come out of the blue they've been consistent for a very long time.

53 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

They've been keeping up this form since last season lad.

3rd on the form table at the end of last season post Howe.

This form hasn't come out of the blue they've been consistent for a very long time.

Will they finish 3rd this season then? Football just doesn't work like, boyo :popcorn:

18 hours ago, Nigel said:

Tactics can wait a week, let's just open a sweet can o danks ball!

I'll be amazed if Emery is Not in the Stand/Dressing room with some form of communication/Instructions 

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Will they finish 3rd this season then? Football just doesn't work like, boyo :popcorn:

If we maintain this season's form, we'll end up on around 66pts, good enough for 5th - 6th usually.

After last weekend I genuinely have no idea how we'll do here. Newcastle are organised and they have some really talented players, they're also full of confidence and at home, so it's a daunting prospect - but the difference in our performances against Fulham and Brentford was so ridiculously pronounced that I'm not sure what to expect.

I think in general, this Newcastle project can be pretty valuable to a club like ours over the next three or four seasons, we have to take advantage of the chaos they will create as they push through the Superleague six and see if we can sneak a European spot in the madness that will happen when one of those six teams begins to fail every season. We're also pretty valuable to Newcastle in a way, as we should be looking to pinch points off their soon-to-be rivals as we develop. We're very different animals, but we're both ambitious to do more and if we do, the spread of points in the league might even out a bit and with that will come possibilities.

Anyways, that's for a future that might not happen if the Toon-panic just means those six teams change the rules - for now, I think we can get some joy with Watkins against Burns and I think we'll have to work very hard to stop their midfield dominating the ball in the middle of the park.

I think just about any result is possible - I'll take a point.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Galway Lion said:

Some of us actually do have morals that wouldn’t allow us to turn a blind eye to our owners conduct.If NSWE were responsible for the execution of the heads of three families just because they refused to leave their homes, to make way for a sporting venue, I couldn’t bring myself to celebrate a sporting victory.Some things can’t be overlooked.

I think the danger here is, we don't know the warts n all of the other premier league owners, if we did.....it may cast a shadow over the whole league.

I genuinely, don't know who, from the Newcastle Football club, is directly involved in the politics of the country, and who makes those dastardly decisions, but maybe the twain don't meet....that may sound naive from me, but its how I feel about Newcastle and its new found wealth.

I am not trying to dig in a swamp, but maybe our owners have some blots on their copybook.....where does it end.

I have no sides to take here, but mixing politics with football, is maybe not a good mix.

14 minutes ago, TheFish said:

If we maintain this season's form, we'll end up on around 66pts, good enough for 5th - 6th usually.

64 million dollar question.....If my auntie had wotsits, she would be my uncle.

all you can do, is keep going and see where it takes you.....like us all, I guess.

football, predictions, have a habit of biting us on the rear.

If our game against Brentford, could be extrapolated out..... we would be up there with you.