Pre-Match Thread

Sulberto21

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Its just great to see that we will now utilise this squad properly now. Having a strong bench and using it properly can maximise output on the pitch, like its supposed to do. Gerrard was the one advocating the change to 5 subs last season but was clueless in actually using it to his advantage. Straight away changing that midfield, Danks could call upon fresh legs of the likes of McGinn & Ramsey who have good engines anyway. Its just common sense, keeps everyone involved, no freezing out of players, maintains harmony.

Really hope we dont revert to type and throw in another stinker here; important to stay in the game early doors and grow into it against the backdrop of their crowd who will obviously be well up for it. Even if we lose, but play really well ill be happy, just need to see that wasnt a one off last week. The players know they have Emery watching on so that should bode well.

We have to factor in the game against Brentford, got off to an incredible start, this one might take more patience and composure.The dynamics of games vary, and the outcomes subsequent.

We have to silence their crowd, create frustration in their ranks and grow in to the game....it might take a bit more handbrake, and less gungho.

It will be a tough one....but one we should be relishing.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

64 million dollar question.....If my auntie had wotsits, she would be my uncle.

all you can do, is keep going and see where it takes you.....like us all, I guess.

football, predictions, have a habit of biting us on the rear.

If our game against Brentford, could be extrapolated out..... we would be up there with you.

Oh sure, but since Howe really got his feet under the table (January 2022) we've averaged about 1.875 points per game. This isn't just a purple patch, it's 31 Premier League games with and without our best players.

On 27/10/2022 at 12:17, tinker said:

Remind me of us second season in the PL under Smith, free flowing and enjoying playing football. Problem will come when they lose a game their expected to win, indifferent results can then follow. May not happen to them but it seems to be the way it goes with teams that appear to be outperforming their squads ceiling.

It's a free hit for us, keep them quiet for 20 minutes and with the pace we showed against Brentford ( I know it was only Brentford) we could easily nick a goal or two. Bailey, Beundia, Ings and Watkins are a formidable attacking threat when they play with confidence and after Brentford they should have it. 

3-1 to villa.

"only" Brentford....we haven't beaten them for years.

...mainly due to the games, where we was up for it, and we can remember them like Cup Finals.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Oh sure, but since Howe really got his feet under the table (January 2022) we've averaged about 1.875 points per game. This isn't just a purple patch, it's 31 Premier League games with and without our best players.

I get that.

very impressive turn around and pleased for you.....just hope you have a blip on Saturday.😋

Tough game. Howe doing a great job at Newcastle. If we can take some of that confidence and momentum from the Brentford game who knows. Players need to be back up the workrate and the intensity they showed in that game. 

4 hours ago, tinker said:

Will they finish 3rd this season then? Football just doesn't work like, boyo :popcorn:

Wouldn't surprise me.

As I've said they've stayed consistent for a very long time and they can easily further strengthen in January.

This season they have beat Forest , Fulham, Brentford , Everton and Spurs. It's hardly ripping the prem up and their not to be feared.

Call it false hope but I really do think we can beat Newcastle , maybe it's the fact Gerrard has gone and we looked rampant against an off form Brentford. Newcastle will start to drop points and I hope it starts with a loss to us. UTV 

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

I'll be amazed if Emery is Not in the Stand/Dressing room with some form of communication/Instructions 

I'd really doubt it. Until he has worked with squad he's not going to chime in with instructions from the sidelines - he has no idea what Dank's has been working on etc.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

So how much if any input will Emery have on tactics/lineup?

Again, I'd say zero. He'll need to work with them first.

• Like 1

The general opinion about Newcastle has shifted so fast. When we last played them in February, also at St James' Park, Villa were the clear favourites. Villa also dominated the whole game while Newcastle sat back and defended, they managed to win 1-0.

They had pretty much the same players as now: Burn, Trippier, Shelvey, Willock, Joelinton, ASM. Since then they've added Bruno G who is obviously great. But most of all they've improved on an individual level and their confidence is sky high. Compared player by player, they're really not that good.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TRO said:

We have to factor in the game against Brentford, got off to an incredible start, this one might take more patience and composure.The dynamics of games vary, and the outcomes subsequent.

We have to silence their crowd, create frustration in their ranks and grow in to the game....it might take a bit more handbrake, and less gungho.

It will be a tough one....but one we should be relishing.

I agree with you that it might take less gungho. However, I have an idea... as soon as we win possession for the first time I think we should go gungho (attack attack attack!) to set the tone and ruffle their feathers... Then once we lose possession again all our players in front of the ball must sprint back and press to reduce the chance of them scoring on the counter... And then, after that we can be less gungho. 🤓

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The general opinion about Newcastle has shifted so fast. When we last played them in February, also at St James' Park, Villa were the clear favourites. Villa also dominated the whole game while Newcastle sat back and defended, they managed to win 1-0.

They had pretty much the same players as now: Burn, Trippier, Shelvey, Willock, Joelinton, ASM. Since then they've added Bruno G who is obviously great. But most of all they've improved on an individual level and their confidence is sky high. Compared player by player, they're really not that good.

Football is a team game and thats how it should be judged.

Sure individual players, make up the whole.....but its the collective force, we should ultimately judge.

signing top players, raises the odds of the collective, sure......but they still have to be blended.

They said that about us, in the early 80's......but we beat teams with better individual players.

don't be fooled by the " on paper" views.......its the actions of the team, to be valued.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I think we’ll lose this. Maybe at best get a draw. I’m ok with it. They’re a team in great form and we’re now massively in transition so these things will happen. I’m looking forward to the United games but even the it’s going to be more about the post World Cup games once Emery has had a good couple of months with the squad.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Tough game. Howe doing a great job at Newcastle. If we can take some of that confidence and momentum from the Brentford game who knows. Players need to be back up the workrate and the intensity they showed in that game. 

If we can do that, Newcastle will know, they've been in a game.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we’ll lose this. Maybe at best get a draw. I’m ok with it. They’re a team in great form and we’re now massively in transition so these things will happen. I’m looking forward to the United games but even the it’s going to be more about the post World Cup games once Emery has had a good couple of months with the squad.

I think it all depends on the workrate and intensity, we can muster.

we know they have talent, and talent is permanent( on form) but workrate can vary.....it all depends how much of that, we can apply.

The chances are we will lose, but you never know, I never saw Sunday's game coming.

• Like 1