Pre-Match Thread

Sulberto21

39 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Is Targett still a regular? If so we should exploit his lack of pace. He used to always come off injured against pacey wingers cause he didn't like the fight. 

No.

Been overtaken by Dan Burn.

Referee: Paul Tierney.
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Neil Davies.
Fourth official: Ben Toner.
VAR: Tony Harrington.
Assistant VAR: Dan Cook.

5 hours ago, TheFish said:

High press, a lot of intensity, quite physical, not averse to the dark arts, a lot of attempted balls between the lines and into the half spaces, pulls backs from wide, interplay between midfielders and wide forwards to create overloads, creative set pieces.

Generally play a hybrid  4-5-1/4-3-3. Burn as LB tends to move central to form a back 3 when we're on the ball, allowing Trippier to have greater influence up the other end without leaving us short at the back.  Wilson as the central striker plays on the shoulder, looking for balls into space. However most of our goals are coming from the wide forwards or midfield. Defence is well drilled, comfortable on the ball and big. Schar is the shortest at 6'2", 

That was thorough. Thanks!

2 hours ago, TRO said:

There was a time, when your defence was benevolent, with Clarky having a regular error in him and lascelles too.....that has changed, and it does have a knock on effect, to other area's of the pitch.

The changes with Trippier, Burn,  Botman and Pope have been huge...and imo a real influence on the other enhancements of the team, Guimares was a shrewd bit of business and the transformation of Joelinton, is remarkable, too....Callum Wilson is always a threat when fit, an underrated striker imo

I think you deserve all the success, you can muster and anyone who challenges the sneaky 6, I'm all for it.

Newcastle, like Villa are a sleeping Giant......I am enjoying watching, the transformation of what was a struggling team, I find it fascinating...best of luck.

I hope we can emulate, your metamorphosis, and join you in smashing them, that was quick to exit the league, for self interest.

Ps I don't think Ashley was ever right for you, in any big organisation a bad egg, spreads the mood and crates the toxicity.....don't look back, just look forward.

Ashley is a contentious figure. From the outside he seemed to do ok at Newcastle. In the top flight for all but 2 seasons, and he paid money to get us back up there, zero external debt, zero monies owed to other clubs for players. We finished  midtable for quite a few of those seasons too. But as you dig into it, it becomes clear why the fans turned on him.

Ashley wanted to turn a quick buck, he thought he could buy a Premier League club, flood it with his mates and have a jolly old time, then sell it on. He actually had meetings with Sheikh Mansour's representatives, but turned up late, was rude and so Mansour turned his attentions to Man City. After the 1st relegation he changed tactic. Now he cared only about having adverts for his sportswear tat store beamed into houses all over the world. So he did just enough to keep us up. When we finished in Europe he didn't free up funds to deepen the squad and we were oh so nearly relegated the following season. 7th or 17th didn't matter to him. Cups didn't matter. Survival was the only target. He neglected the stadium, the academy, the training facilities. We had no commercial officer, so the only reliable stream of income was ticket sales and tv money. Set aside his treatment of club legends, players, staff, and the fans. Ironically, he might be a decent owner for a troubled Championship club now. He runs a tight ship, is a tough negotiator and has the capital to bankroll modest investment. As long as the fans don't want more than "ticking along" he'd do fine.

Re: our transfers, one of the abiding expectations was that we'd go off and sign a Robinho-esque figure. A big name, on big money, for the big occasion. Instead we've been extremely savvy in the market. It's only really Wood where you would say we've overpaid and even then it was more of a needs must type of signing.

It's taking a long time to get used to us being a professionally run club, I'm not sure I'll be able to shake the habit of expecting doom lurking around the corner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Is Targett still a regular? If so we should exploit his lack of pace. He used to always come off injured against pacey wingers cause he didn't like the fight. 

Nah, Burn is the first choice LB now. Partly because of his physical presence and partly because he lets us shift to a back 3 when we're in attack. More so than Targett. When ASM returns to full fitness we may go back to Targett and play with a bit more balance? Dunno.

6 hours ago, TheFish said:

When you say slipped up, what do you mean? Not on the wind up or owt, just genuinely curious. Always interesting to get a view from another fanbase.

Being 4th is quirk of the fixture list and I'm sure we'll drop a bit, but when ASM and Isak return to full fitness (plus whomever we buy in January) I think we've a decent chance to finish 5th-8th. Chiefly because the team that you'd have expected to be competing for those spots haven't started well; Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Wolves etc. 

Brighton and Fulham will fall away a bit as the season goes on, too.

Only scoring 2 away to spurs 😉

7 hours ago, ender4 said:

I saw a comment on their forum where a supporter thought they could do a Leicester and sneak the title.

They do have a good chance of getting top 4 though the way they are going.

If supporters of the non-entitled cxxt 6 can't hold a sneaky hope of winning the league when in Newcastle's current position, they may as well get another hobby

• Like 1

I don’t think there is much difference in the quality of the squads, but where Newcastle have the edge is that they have been drilled and coached in their formations and tactics for such a long time. We only have had a week, to make the new 4-2-3-1 formation drilled into the players. If Newcastle comes up with a tactics that counter our formation, will we have had the time to implement and train on a plan B.

I can see this go horribly wrong, but I really hope we can get something out this match. We need points, because of the horrible start we have had, and because the upcoming difficult fixture list.

• Like 1

The run Newcastle have been on has been strange, whenever I've seen them, they haven't looked that great and have often looked the second best in games, but more often than not somehow have been able to get the win, so I've been expecting their run of form to come to a crashing halt, but that hasn't really happend yet.

They remind me a little of West Ham when they went on that amazing run a couple of seasons back and then carried the momentum into the next season, when a team goes on a run like that I don't think it's just about their momentum, but also how it affects the opposition psychologically, because of the run Newcastle have been on the oppostion at the moment are probably half beat before they even play them.

On paper there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to beat them, it's not even as if they've been playing amazing football which makes one think okay their team isn't that great in terms of individuals but they're making up for that with great free flowing football as a team or whatever.

All that said and I was going to say more in the last paragraph but forgot what I was talking about halfway through, I'm still not very confident about the game, the only things giving me a bit of hope is that perhaps we can take some momentum from Brentford win and the feel good factor surrounding the Emry appointment and use that our advantage to get a positive result and also maybe Newcastle due a bad result, they haven't lost in seven games so probably due one.

13 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Bad time to play this lot annoyingly. 

Just glad we did what we did though coz it will actually be a good game rather than an absolute pumping.

2-2

They were 3rd on the form table at the end of last season after Howe took over. Since then their results has remained very consistent.

Don't think there ever has been a good time to play them tbh post Howe.

So this is as good of time as any. At least Gerrard is gone. That alone instantly boosts our winning chances by 50 %

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

Newcastle having any form of success under their current owners, should **** embarrass the league. But it won't. And the fans accepting it all are contemptible. I don't give a shit about "we have no control", yeah you do, do something else with your saturdays you amoral pieces of shit. go watch **** gateshead or whatever until the terrorist funding warmongering psychopaths are gone. There's more to life that ripping your cock off because a club can spend repugnant levels of ill sourced money on the transfer rights of fellow footballers. 

**** newcastle. ( and yeah **** man city, **** chelsea, **** psg etc too )

• Like 3

This is a free hit for us after last week however we are capable of causing them problems if we play as we know we can. 

I thibk trippiers been a key player for them. I think we need to stick bailey on him give him some problems

No st max thankfully

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Newcastle having any form of success under their current owners, should **** embarrass the league. But it won't. And the fans accepting it all are contemptible. I don't give a shit about "we have no control", yeah you do, do something else with your saturdays you amoral pieces of shit. go watch **** gateshead or whatever until the terrorist funding warmongering psychopaths are gone. There's more to life that ripping your cock off because a club can spend repugnant levels of ill sourced money on the transfer rights of fellow footballers. 

**** newcastle. ( and yeah **** man city, **** chelsea, **** psg etc too )

signed........ "The voice of reason"

59 minutes ago, useless said:

The run Newcastle have been on has been strange, whenever I've seen them, they haven't looked that great and have often looked the second best in games, but more often than not somehow have been able to get the win, so I've been expecting their run of form to come to a crashing halt, but that hasn't really happend yet.

They remind me a little of West Ham when they went on that amazing run a couple of seasons back and then carried the momentum into the next season, when a team goes on a run like that I don't think it's just about their momentum, but also how it affects the opposition psychologically, because of the run Newcastle have been on the oppostion at the moment are probably half beat before they even play them.

On paper there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to beat them, it's not even as if they've been playing amazing football which makes one think okay their team isn't that great in terms of individuals but they're making up for that with great free flowing football as a team or whatever.

All that said and I was going to say more in the last paragraph but forgot what I was talking about halfway through, I'm still not very confident about the game, the only things giving me a bit of hope is that perhaps we can take some momentum from Brentford win and the feel good factor surrounding the Emry appointment and use that our advantage to get a positive result and also maybe Newcastle due a bad result, they haven't lost in seven games so probably due one.

And the fact they've only drawn half their games this season gives us hope. Despite being 4th they've actually won less than half their matches and only two more than us. So we must have a half-decent chance of a win after our great performance on Sunday. UTV!!!!

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1