Pre-Match Thread

Sulberto21

My brother is a Newcastle fan and so I have to sit through a lot of their games. But since Howe has been their manager their players look stronger and more balanced physically. 

As long as it’s not the same score the last time we had a caretaker manager. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tough, tough game.

I hate them even more now they're owned by a bunch of murdering, human rights abusing oxygen thieves. It makes me cry with laughter that some of their fans used to use Sports Direct employees working conditions under Mike Ashley as a reason to dislike him then took to the streets en masse wearing tea towels (ironically incredibly disrespectful to the Saudi people) when these crooks bought the club. Despite what the media have constantly led them to believe, they aren't quite the big club they think they are, for a supposed 'massive' club they've won absolutely naff all and there's nothing, Shearer, Waddle or any of the other deluded Geordies with a media platform can say to make up for their empty trophy cabinet!

They probably think they'll roll us over easily, approach it the same way as today from the word 'go' and let's give them a fright! I'm in my late 20s and I can only recall the Dyer/Bowyer bust-up game as a success up there? I was unfortunately standing in the away end for the 6-0 demolition we suffered under KMac.

• Like 1

I just want to see the same press, effort and commitment every single game. Its a really tough game, we never won there even while they were shite so under no illusions here; we’ll do well to get a point and id take that tbh.

The challenge is to keep up todays good work and not rest on it like we’ve done for years now with the Jekyll & Hyde performances from week to week. What a statement we could make though if Danks can mastermind another win! Certainly a lot more confident than i could have expected going into this one. Lets take it to them.

I remember the last time we had an amazing result a caretaker manager, beating West ham 3-0 under Kevin MacDonald, everything looked rosy... I wonder who we played next after that match and what the result was

My only worry is this:

The last time we had a caretaker manager comfortably beat a London side at home in his first match in charge with three different players getting on the scoresheet with Ashley Young in a Villa shirt, we then went on to lose the next game 6-0 - to Newcastle away.

A club and a fan base I utterly despise for their abhorrent owners. I refuse to engage with their fans and won't make any effort to watch this one. Simply for thr sake of three points I hope we win and then swiftly move on to matches versus a side not owned by vile vile owners.

**** Newcastle. **** the fans. All opportunistic human scum.

Probably the hardest place to go other than City right now.

They are flying and their fans are right behind the side. Confidence is a funny thing.

We'll need big massive balls to play there. Buendia finding space crucial, they'll be aware if they can stop him, it'll stop us moving up the pitch. Give the lad freedom to go anywhere to find space, then find him.

Set-pieces, I'm not sure how you stop them. They have about 5 players between 6'2" and 6'7" who will be up every corner, we need to have a think about that.

I was dreading this three days ago, and now I'm excited.

2 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

Watch us play a completely different formation and line-up for this one ha ha.

If we have a new manager, that is very likely. If Danks is still in charge, I don’t think he will emulate Gerrard in that regard.

Stop acting like we're gonna play prime Barca.

They have some good players but so do we.

They'll be up for it so we'll have to be bang on up for the fight and play aggressive.

• Like 2

Difficult to gauge if we can put two performances together back to back. Hopefully our tails are up, as Newcastle will be, and at home following a big away win. It will be intriguing but we have as much talent as them on paper and who knows what this team really can do? 

A result here will light the touch paper of a revival, which we absolutely need as there are no mugs and plenty fighting for their lives this season.

PS: this is the fixture I want to win. I can’t stand Newcastle.

Edited by thunderball

If Danks is in charge at least he has a whole week to prepare, they are flying but we will have gained a lot of confidence after yesterday's performance. Would be delighted with a point.

Edited by Eligius

Would take a spirited performance to be honest, because they are absolute flying.

It's the type of game you're half tempted to go "same again boys" and keep it as is to not rock the boat and you get absolute dicked. "Ah shit, should have tweaked it"

Let's see what the Dankmaster general has about him.

19 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

My brother is a Newcastle fan and so I have to sit through a lot of their games. But since Howe has been their manager their players look stronger and more balanced physically. 

As long as it’s not the same score the last time we had a caretaker manager. 

I feel your pain mate! My brothers are both Newcastle fans!

• Sad 1

Very tough game - aggressive and high press - can clearly outmuscle us in the midfield. They made City uncomfortable with their press so i really don't want Mings messing about with this one.

I love Buendia but I don't know if this is going to be the game for him. Really struggle with what side to put out there.

This is where I hate our lack of wide options as this would be almost *the* game to go 442. Let them press and let them have the ball but Botman and Schar vs Ings/Bailey/Watkins on the counter?

I think we almost have no choice but to put out a similar side and just hope that Dendocker/Luiz/Buendia are disciplined but brave when they need to be.