Pre-Match Thread

Sulberto21

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Normally when away from home against a top team I’d say we need to be very tight and hit on the break. But looking at Newcastles team they are nothing special. Take the game to them and they might struggle.

They will struggle against our pace if we ping balls over the top and attack their full backs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Normally when away from home against a top team I’d say we need to be very tight and hit on the break. But looking at Newcastles team they are nothing special. Take the game to them and they might struggle.

but that might be the game plan for Newcastle.

"Villa will be buoyant after the Brentford Game, let them come at us, soak it up, and catch them on the counter"

I think we shoud silence the crowd, contain them, and grow in to the game......but what do I know?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, penguin said:

It’s not hypocritical at all, Newcastle are currently sitting in 4th.

Emery will need time to implement his a style which maximises what we have available, it’s not just a case of Gerrard is gone now so why aren’t we expected to win every game if the players are so good, this feels like a straw man argument.

Particularly as the vast majority believe we easily have a top half level squad, myself included, which were sitting 17th when Gerrard finally got sacked. Again Newcastle are 4th, let’s not get delusional and claim we should be beating everyone, that was never the argument.

Ok fair play.

However, the comparison was always " look what Howe has done in the same time, with " shite " players ( Not true ) in comparison ".

My response was always that what Howe has done with Newcastle, is almost an anomaly and you couldn't necessarily use this as a measuring stick, because Howe has in fact done better than probably 15 - 16 other Managers which no one could have ever seen coming.

None of us would have wanted Howe, and I think Newcastle fans were also underwhelmed by him.

Either way that's all in the past.

I hope we can somehow batter them!

UTV!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

but that might be the game plan for Newcastle.

"Villa will be buoyant after the Brentford Game, let them come at us, soak it up, and catch them on the counter"

I think we shoud silence the crowd, contain them, and grow in to the game......but what do I know?

Fair point but the natives will never allow such a game plan. They’ll want them to attack from the off. Agree it’s important to grow in to the game though. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair point but the natives will never allow such a game plan. They’ll want them to attack from the off. Agree it’s important to grow in to the game though. 

my point was....we need to be careful, not to get caught up in the occasion.....The Geordies will be smelling blood. The crowd are like "dogs with 2 dicks" right now.

Composure, is key....we need to kill their effervescence.....Then go about the task.

I’m 100% more confident going into this with Danks in charge than that other bloke. Whether we win, draw or lose, I’m happy that we’ll be set up in the best way possible and will have a go at Newcastle. That counts for a lot after the shit we’ve had to watch lately. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tinka said:

Seems some of our content has been borrowed 

https://www.themag.co.uk/2022/10/aston-villa-fans-say-the-funniest-things-newcastle-v-aston-villa-newcastle-united/

Most taken out of context, heaven forbid we think we have a chance at beating em ay 😱

So they’ve literally just copied the whole thread’s worth of comments and pasted with an introduction that shows they’re still pissed off at us for celebrating their relegation in 2009. 

Great journalism lads. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

my point was....we need to be careful, not to get caught up in the occasion.....The Geordies will be smelling blood. The crowd are like "dogs with 2 dicks" right now.

Composure, is key....we need to kill their effervescence.....Then go about the task.

I agree, this match pure energy won't be enough. We need to be tactically savvy in the first 20 minutes. Keep them goalless and quiten the crowd, then go about getting the upper hand.