Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match Polls  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/22 at 22:59

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Next week I’d like to see:

Watkins, Coutinho, Bailey, McGinn, Kamara, Ramsey, Cash, Mings, Carlos, Digne.

Not trying to dig at you...  but how in the world do you not have Buendia in your starting XI after what we just witnessed?  Coutinho did literally nothing in 60 minutes.  Emi was a firecracker....  had 3 key passes and a goal and was all over the place making things happen.  

We beat Everton because they are utter shit and even then barely.

We will beat them because he have 30m forwards all over the shop and incredible fire power 

But we showed nothing in that game. No tempo. No patterns or play. No real football.

JJs running was excellent. Cash wae honest. Kamara was Johnny on the spot and the front 2 worked tirelessly.

But no quality. It looks like we will do a last year. Beat the donkeys. Play turgid. Finish 12th - 14th.

• Like 2

Controlled the first half without creating too much other than taking the lead. Second half they came at us a bit more, had more possession and created a couple of openings before we scored a well crafted second. 

Yes Everton had some chances toward the end after our fragile mentality resurfaced but we had some good chances too in that second half.

I don’t know how you can make a case to Coutinho starting ahead of Buendia at the moment, Coutinho looks a bit lost to be honest, probably just dawned on him that he signed permanently for Aston Villa. 

Thought Watkins played well within Watkins’ capabilities, two assists and got himself in once or twice.

Kamara looked excellent in the first half, steady in the second but less prominent I thought.

Hoping injuries to Cash and Carlos are not too bad, an injury for Coutinho could be a blessing in disguise for all parties at the moment.

Thought Watkins was good. Kamara solid. But my MOTM went to McGinn. He played the key pass for both our goals and pushed the ball around very well.

Buendia simply has to start. I struggle to see what we are achieving with Coutinho on the pitch, but when Buendia comes on we look sooo much better. Wouldv'e easily had MOTM if he had more minutes.

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

I disagree with you over Watkin's performance but it was a bit unnecessary, so I apologise. 

I'm not disagreeing with the premise that Watkins has limitations by the way. 

I was purely reacting to the fact that several people have essentially said he was total shit today. I find that difficult to fathom when he contributed two assists which won the game for us. 

As I said in another response, that is the reason I feel it would be very harsh to call his performance today poor. Football is a results game, and he has had the biggest hand today in producing a win for us, limited although he is in other areas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

We beat Everton because they are utter shit and even then barely.

We will beat them because he have 30m forwards all over the shop and incredible fire power 

But we showed nothing in that game. No tempo. No patterns or play. No real football.

JJs running was excellent. Cash wae honest. Kamara was Johnny on the spot and the front 2 worked tirelessly.

But no quality. It looks like we will do a last year. Beat the donkeys. Play turgid. Finish 12th - 14th.

Funny thing is that most of the donkeys last year, beat us. 

Just now, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

Not trying to dig at you...  but how in the world do you not have Buendia in your starting XI after what we just witnessed?  Coutinho did literally nothing in 60 minutes.  Emi was a firecracker....  had 3 key passes and a goal and was all over the place making things happen.  

Lol he didn’t do literally nothing but I meant to have Buendia in there. I accidentally wrote Bailey twice initially but deleted it instead of fixing it to Buendia. I think we need to see Coutinho and Buendia together.

• Like 2

If not for the last bit of the game good solid job. I thought Ming’s showed how strong and stabilizing he is. Kamara was solid. Ramsey when he drives with the ball is so exciting and faster then you’d think.

I don’t understand the Watkins was horrible review. 2 assists, harried the defense, and generally had a good first touch except for going into his shot at the end. Sure, it would have been great for him to get it up and over Pickford but wasn’t a whiff.

For me, it was really just Coutinho as passenger and Buendia’s impact that means Emi needs to start.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Ings should have shot first time it was an excellent goal scoring opportunity that Ings nearly squandered. 

I'll bite. You must be joking... right? Watkins passed the ball behind Ings, despite Ings pointing to where he wanted it played.

• Like 2

Buendia the spark plug, as ever. Simply has to start every match until he no longer deserves to.

Mings solid in his return, should start again.

Kamara MOTM. Reads the game exceptionally well. So assured.

Ings sharp, great goal. He and Buendia have a good understanding. 

Watkins not entirely seizing the day despite his assist. If we're going with 2 at the top next week, it should be Ings and Archer.

Coutinho a dull edge, overall. Not enough energy. Very concerning. Needs to be dropped even if fully fit. 

Cash excellent. Digne not his sharpest.

Carlos still a bit underwhelming on the whole.

Martinez excellent. 

Ramsey good.

McGinn as automatic starter is an unnecessary wrench in the gears. It's just a matter of how long will it take the manager to see it. 

Bailey hard done by not to start.

Luiz>Meatball 

Will be fascinating if we sign an 8 to see Gerrard continue to crowbar McGinn into the lineup at the expense of Luiz, Ramsey, Bailey etc. 

Good win, a bit dicey at the end, but it's an important 3 points at home. Something to build on and some of the gloom is lifted. 

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Nor did VAR check Gordon fouling Emi before their offside goal

RrqFA6x.gif

Fortunately they didn't check Digne with a fistful of shirt either ;) 

They didn't have any really big decisions to make today, but it was poor officiating all round, IMO

Some examples off the top of my head:

•  Their player clearly onside, breaking through and the AR flagging early instead of letting play go on
  • That rat Gordon escaping with no bookings
  • Digne getting a yellow for a much better tackle than one they'd just ignored at the other end
  • No foul for the blatant shirt pull on Cash

We'd have had more reliable decision making from a coin toss, they were dreadful

5 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I'll bite. You must be joking... right? Watkins passed the ball behind Ings, despite Ings pointing to where he wanted it played.

Watkins passed the ball to the man behind ings 😉

Ings took it off him, should then have laid it off to the midfielder as he had an easier shot on

But he wanted both... And as I said in the Ings thread I love it, need that greedy proper striker 

Â