Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match Polls  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/22 at 22:59

A much needed win..it was ugly to watch..

Positives today were Buendia and Kamara and special mention to JJ who tried his best.

Negatives we are very weak defending in general..especially set pieces..Coutinho having no impact and you cant play mcginn and  JJ together its leaves us open thru the middle.

Oliver watkins needs to be replaced , as the season goes on he will cost us a lot of points by not converting stonewall chances and  you cant get away with that in this league.

I cant see us Challenging for top 8 this season playing like that especially against a poor everton side.

2 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Now lets see if SG really is the heard man and makes the difficult decision to keep Phil on the bench as another position rather than starting 

Actually, I would prefer one striker and two behind him.  Coutinho and Buendia.  if the opposition gives them space the two of them carve them open.  If the opposition clogs them out, it's easy for one or the other to drift out into space left by the defense clogging the middle.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I think we played really well myself. Everton look like a championship team to me. 

They probably will be in a year.

It's 3 points, I won't complain, but it's one of the easiest league matches we'll have all season, and we made hard work of it.

I'm not convinced either of these managers will be around by January.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First half we were the better team and  largely clueless for it. Thanks to ings’s goal that saved that half

when Beundia came on, we came alive. Pressing, pushing, trusting. We looked a decent side. that last ten minutes tho.. what an almost collapse. 

JJ official motm, but my vote went to boubs. Absolutely a boss in that 6 spot. Cash looked fantastic, Ings played well, more so when lil Emi came on. Big Emi did some vital saves. 

courtiho was meh, Digne wasn’t great either, McGinn needs more to his game. 

Everton are looking really poor, yet we struggled to really beat them. So things are not quite matching our desires yet. Lots of working needing to be done. 

but a win is a win 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

We deserved to win that but my goodness we made it a lot more difficult than it needed to be. 
Buendia certainly played well and deserved a start in the next match, although I thought that Coutinho did ok as well. 
Ironically, on a day when Ings scored and Ollie got two assists, I actually thought they were both quite poor. Ings looks as though he is running through treacle all game and poor old Ollie is just not a natural football player. He works so hard and I would always pick him ahead of Ings but he is so cumbersome and his finishing is woeful.

We will get better and there were some really positive signs but the players just do not cope with pressure at all. We are the only team in the league that could have come so close to drawing a game that we had just won. 
Plenty to ponder still. It still looks very forced at times.  We are very clumsy in possession and the midfield is far from right. Hopefully a couple of new signings, should they arrive, will help.

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Assists.

Two assists. 

Criticize him in the next game if he does nothing sure.

But not today. 

He got two assists. 

Can't possibly have not played well then.

Thick as mince.

• Confused 1

I'll give it to Watkins with two assists.  Would have loved for him to finish that chance late, or facilitate again (if he drew it back instead of shot, Buendia had a wide open net).  Speaking of Buendia.  Has to start.  He was so lively once coming on.  Made so much more happen in 30 minutes than Coutinho did in 60.  

Kamara great.  Ramsey much better, so dangerous carrying the ball.  Great to see Mings get back in and play well.  Hope Carlos, Cash and Coutinho are alright.

Really would have enjoyed a stress free finish versus what it was...   but we'll take the three points and move on.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Happy enough given the context of last week, build on this. This is how it works: combinations, patterns and players emerge. 

Watkins looks totally bereft of confidence, we should upgrade, we can’t wait and see he rediscovers his mojo. 

Spend all week rehearsing set pieces please.

Like Mings in there but you can see he has changed his game to ultra safe following him being dropped.

Love Kamara and Buendia. Ramsey looking good too.

Without Watkins we don’t win that game.  Every time we turned the Everton defence it was a ball in behind to Watkins.

If he goes all you will see is nice tippy tappy in the middle third 

• Like 1

Thought we were pretty poor against what is ultimately one of the weakest teams in the league. A game which was very low in quality, but two lovely moments for each of our goals and Buendia has to start moving forwards, Coutinho was completely anonymous again and if there's one of them that should be treated as a last 20 mins impact sub then its him.

Important three points but lots of work to do. We clearly have better players in our squad than the likes of Everton now and we have to start reflecting that in our performances 

Just now, Steero113 said:

Assists.

Two assists. 

Criticize him in the next game if he does nothing sure.

But not today. 

He got two assists. 

This is the problem with some football fans... Its all very short term and reactionary. If he doesn't do anything one week he should be sold and if he gets an assist then he is beyond reproach.

The fact is that Watkins limitations are there every week regardless of whether he happens to get an assist or not. Elghazi had a good return for goals and assists a couple of seasons back but no one wants him in the team.

I'm not saying Watkins is a bad player, but in this system he is causing more problems than solutions. It's hindering our ability to create chances over the long term. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Weneed to dismiss this idea of Coutinho as a playmaker. He is simply not energetic enough any more. Look at how it looked with Buendia on the pitch. Looking forward to pass then driving forward to join up with the next phase of play.  He excites me. 

As does Kamara. Really good today . And will get better and better . Seems to be up to the pace and physicality that we need. 

Well done Ty.  Really professional performance . 

Sorry forgot JJ. Back on form today. What a brilliant runner he is . And i saw a stat that he had about 60 passes with about 97 percent accuracy.  Another weakness rhat he has worked on and turned into a strength. Just heading now and he will have everything 

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 3

Pretty solid for most parts, some tentative play yet some very good passages of possession based play.

Something to build and improve on.

Kamara and Carlos are still finding their feet and the team line-up has improved, we just need to find consistency.

A point or more against Palace and I'll be happy.

• Like 1

Â