Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match Polls  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/22 at 22:59

The doom and gloom on here is laughable.

We played fairly well in parts even with Coutinho (who had another howler) and Mcginn (average at best) on the pitch. Buendia showed again that he should be staring ahead of Couts. Ollie had a good game and Ings goal was well taken.

Naivety after scoring is something we need to learn from but we controlled a lot of the game which with confidence should only get better. 

I for one am going to enjoy this result, jeez even when we win we are a fickle bunch 🤣

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Today I was wondering if we need a new set piece coach as well to be honest.

Yeah first 15 mins we looked a bit ropey at set pieces but I think after that we handled majority of set pieces well. 

2 minutes ago, allani said:

PS - Controversial but I thought Couts was really good until he went off injured.  Emi2 came on and buzzed around and was probably unlucky not to get an assist to add to his goal.  But (assuming Couts is fit) I would probably start Couts next match and then bring on Emi2 with 30-35 minutes to go.  Nothing wrong with being a super-sub.

He was fine, worked hard but it doesn’t suit the narrative.

Buendia was coming on anyway, he was warming up for a good 10 minutes before Coutinho got injured.

21 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Only reason he bought Buendia on is because Coutinho got injured. Lucky manager

Wrong. He was warming up, getting ready to come on regardless. 

• Like 3

Just now, Lerner's Driver said:

Warming up?

Yeah you know, that thing players do before they are about to come on.

• Like 1

Much better than the Bournemouth game. At times we looked like a. Cohesive unit. We best Everton by the same number of goal difference as thE mighty Chelsea who didn’t score from open play. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim said:

He was fine, worked hard but it doesn’t suit the narrative.

Buendia was coming on anyway, he was warming up for a good 10 minutes before Coutinho got injured.

I thought he did a lot of good linking up play in the first half.  Dragged players out of position and made space for JJ to attack the space behind him.  Bringing Emi2 on was the right call regardless of the injury - but I think they both played well today.  Good to have quality options "in the hole".

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This is the problem with some football fans... Its all very short term and reactionary. If he doesn't do anything one week he should be sold and if he gets an assist then he is beyond reproach.

The fact is that Watkins limitations are there every week regardless of whether he happens to get an assist or not. Elghazi had a good return for goals and assists a couple of seasons back but no one wants him in the team.

I'm not saying Watkins is a bad player, but in this system he is causing more problems than solutions. It's hindering our ability to create chances over the long term. 

Take him out today, we lose.  His numbers are where we are, what’s your plan?

Your argument I like painting the house before the plaster has set

13 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Much better than last week but we need to sort out the panicky defending. How many new defenders do we need to buy before it gets better?

Very clear that Buendia earned a start for next match.

Emi Martinez was man of the match for me because without his saves at the end all our attacking endeavours would have come to nought!

To be fair you would expect Emi to save all those shots and pretty sure that Chambers actually saved one of them.  But it is very reassuring knowing that we have such a good keeper so that if / when we do have a "flap" it doesn't automatically mean a goal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jim said:

Wrong. He was warming up, getting ready to come on regardless. 

Clutching at straws. 

Players were warming up in the first half, as they often do. They didn't come on.

Irrelevant anyway, he came on, did well.

Presume you want him to start next week or would you be happy with Coutinho again?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Clutching at straws. 

Players were warming up in the first half, as they often do. They didn't come on.

Irrelevant anyway, he came on, did well.

Presume you want him to start next week or would you be happy with Coutinho again?

Whatever.

He spent ten minutes warming up on his own on the sidelines just before he came on

Martinez made crucial save as usual.

Mings was soilid. We needed him back.

Carlos is doing okay, will improve, looks made for the premier league.

Digne was a little off it today.

Cash he usual energetic self, lack quality in the fnal third, I would have kept Kessler around.

Chambers showed why he is back up.

Kamara has quality, his distribution was good, still finding his feet though.

Ramsey was the pick of the midfield driving through Everton almost at will.

McGinn was fairly tidy, thats all!

Coutinho did okay, but needs to step it up.

Ings got the goal and was tidy as usual.

Watkins was the pick of the attackers, constant handful, pressing, running the channels and not giving centre backs a minutes peace. Got 2 assists, my man of the match.

Buendia was very lively when he came on and link things up well. When we play 2 striker he compliments them best and we have 3 hungry tireless pressers.

Bailey didn't make an impression really.

Konsa also looking like a back up centre back.

Gerrard played what should be the away formation at home. Buendia fits the 4-4-2 diamond better than Coutinho. This is because this formation is more of a counter attacking line up, the hustle and bustle buendia brings is more appropriate. Not sure our strikers suit the 4-3-3 the way gerrard plays it. Needs a lone forwards with pace that has the creativity of a 10. That is a world class player we couldn''t attract regardless of money. But ultimately of what we have Watkins is better suited to the 4-3-3.  The 4-4-2 diamond worked because Everton are a team that tries t play, unlike Bournemouth. Gerrard still has a lot to prove but the pressure has eased. Average managerial performance in the end. Made the right decision to bring Mings back in and subdue the unrest allegations. Got lucky that the early offside Everton goal was offside!

Â