Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match Polls  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/22 at 22:59

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We could win 5-0 and some would still want Gerrard gone. It’s very sad. It was a much deserved win today. 

The poster who hoped we would lose must be fuming.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jim said:

He was fine, worked hard but it doesn’t suit the narrative.

Buendia was coming on anyway, he was warming up for a good 10 minutes before Coutinho got injured.

This narrative crap cracks me up, it basically says if you don’t agree with your posts then there is an agenda.

Everton could have scored from anyone of their set plays, the fact they didn’t is largely down to fortune.  When they did score our Defense went to to jelly.  Everton will be in a relegation battle this year, we gave them sniff of not only a point, but with a bit of luck all three.

There is no narrative, fact is we are nowhere near where we should/could be 

Edited by macandally
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

40 minutes ago, tinker said:

Absolute drivel, without him playing we would not have won today, he had a few chances that he missed or were saved but that's football  another day he would have scored and not assisted.

He ran the pitch for ,90 minutes in 40 degree heat. 

I think you might need to read my first sentence again.  You really have proved my point with your comment. Thanks. 

Edited by Made In Aston

That shape still worries me. There were large parts of that game where we couldn't build an attack, were not in control and looked disjointed. Our opening goal came from an opportunistic deep ball from a broken play. We were calamitous in front of our own goal and from set pieces, and we did our best to throw it away at the end. I think we got away with one today at home to one of the worst teams in the league. Don't mean to be overly miserable about it but that was never comfortable.

But the result was important so there is that. It papers over cracks though.

Some good things and some bad things:

• We won
  • Kamara looks to be a real find - composed, great on the ball, excellent positionally and able to defend and win a ball
  • Buendia looks sharp
  • I thought Ings played well and we looked better with two up top.

But

• We can't defend a ball into our box - every corner was a lottery and late on we showed we couldn't defend a straight ball down the middle either - Everton don't have a striker, a club that does and figures this out will find us easy to score against.
  • Coutinho is out of sorts, he worked hard in the first half, but he's not creating anything - if you're picking Coutinho over Buendia at the moment; you're wrong.
  • We play some good stuff at times but without much penetration - we can look like we're putting a team under a lot of pressure, but then not find a way to fashion a chance.

Of those things, the big two for me are that we won and that we can't defend a ball into our box -we're going to need to score a lot of goals if we keep defending like this.

It was better than Bournemouth by a distance - but we're still vulnerable in midfield and we didn't create enough until Buendia came on, and our defending looks disorganised - I'm not necessarily proposing changes in the back four - I think they need more protection - Mings was decent, Cash played pretty well I thought - but we don't have enough aerial support from elsewhere.

In my opinion, we still need a good sized centre midfielder who can protect the back four next to Kamara and free up whichever of McGinn and Ramsey keeps their place.

Anyways - three points is three points and I'll take it - there's work to do, but there are also some brighter points in todays performance.

Palace will be a good test of where we're at.

• Like 3

Thought we got away with that today, Everton could have easily equalized at the death, we so need to replace Watkins he never looks like scoring everyone around me was sitting when he was through on goal as we knew he wouldn’t do anything 

1 hour ago, macandally said:

Without Watkins we don’t win that game.  Every time we turned the Everton defence it was a ball in behind to Watkins.

If he goes all you will see is nice tippy tappy in the middle third 

Not disputing this, I thought he tried very hard and ran selflessly all game, I thought his assist for Buendia exemplified this. I am only pointing out the goal aspect of his game has no luck at the moment which I think is attributable to confidence, and his cross (pass) to Everton when in acres of space exemplified this also. Both him and Ings spent all last season mis-firing and I think adding a upgraded forward to the squad we are better. I am not advocating selling anyone incidentally, its a 16 man game now.

Not the most fluent Villa win that I've ever seen, but an important win nonetheless. We can put last weekend's debacle behind us now. Everton are a team that we should beat, but as we so recently demonstrated we don't always do that. We were comfortably the better team and we deserved the win. If they had got anything from the game, it would have been reminiscent of our 2-3 home defeat to Wolves last season, but it wasn't and we won! We were sweating, particularly near the end, but it was a very hot day, wasn't it?;)  

Family Guy - A fat guy sweat is like a battle ship - YouTube

• Like 1

Just driving back home from the game now. Was sat by the Everton fans and I’ve never seen a more amusing moment than the disallowed goal. They went from smug to fuming in less than 10 seconds and it was truly a joy to watch. The performance was better. I thought we were mostly solid at the back and Buendia was incredible when he came on. Man of the match goes to Emi Martinez for his brilliant multi tasking when time wasting at the end whilst also rousing the North Stand. Pure brilliance. Was great to be back home. 

Edited by CLARETANDBLUEFOXY
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, John said:

Not the most fluent Villa win that I've ever seen, but an important win nonetheless. We can put last weekend's debacle behind us now. Everton are a team that we should beat, but as we so recently demonstrated we don't always do that. We were comfortably the better team and we deserved the win. If they had got anything from the game, it would have been reminiscent of our 2-3 home defeat to Wolves last season, but it wasn't and we won! We were sweating, particularly near the end, but it was a very hot day, wasn't it?;)  

In my defence, it was very hot at Villa Park today

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, John said:

You haven’t said much here, but for me you’ve said it all. 

Gonna enjoy a day of victory instead of fretting over the season and managerial politics. It’s one match at a time.

I’ll savor the feeling of a late summer day with a Villa win. It’s a sunny morning in Pennsylvania. The goldfinches are singing, there’s a balmy breeze waving the maple trees. I’ll take it. Not going to concern myself with how we’ll ever deal with ManCity because that’s not today. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3

Watkins brings us physicality, he's got running power, he can get after a man and he can get in behind a defence - with him on the field, we win balls off defenders from time to time and we have the out ball into the corner when we're under pressure or they push up. I thought he and Ings were the right blend today.

The thing I liked most about Buendia was that from the second he came on, he looked like he wanted to take the game over, to dominate everything, he was drifting into good positions, he was moving defenders around and he was dictating the positioning of his team mates. He's full of the desire to make things happen. He has to be starting games.

The thing that worried me was the degree to which Everton looked like they could score goals against our defence once they bought on a striker - especially since that striker was Salomon Rondon - just let that settle in if you would, a team bought on Salomon Rondon and suddenly looked like they'd score goals against our back four. When we start playing teams with proper strikers, we're going to get battered unless we figure ourselves out. It was worrying.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Leeds another side that appointed a manager after us, have a worse squad and look much better if you're interested.

Yet another poor performance today.

It wasn't a great performance.  But for most of the first 87 minutes we were in complete control without getting out of second or third gear.  It would have been as easy a 2-0 home win as you are likely to see - apart from the bizarre attempt to snatch a draw from the jaws of an easy victory at the end.

• Like 1

My idea of a good performance is control and patience.

What I saw was frantic play, no real structure to our team or midfield and on another day it could have been a different scoreline. 

We will never be close to a top 7 side until we can do this. Not week in week out but at least vs sides typically around us. 

Â