Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Everton

limpid

Match Polls  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/22 at 22:59

Just now, allani said:

It wasn't a great performance.  But for most of the first 87 minutes we were in complete control without getting out of second or third gear.  It would have been as easy a 2-0 home win as you are likely to see - apart from the bizarre attempt to snatch a draw from the jaws of an easy victory at the end.

It was the kind of performance that if Liverpool or Man City played that way - people would be saying it was a great example of doing what they had to without expending too much energy.  Two well worked goals.  Keeper was a spectator until the last 5 minutes.  Controlled the ball and territory.

• Like 2

As I was working today I tried to keep tabs on VT to see how things were going. Always a mistake and as useful as turning to Twitter for reasonable debate. Some of the Match Thread comments on Watkins are beneath contempt. As ever, realised I should just go elsewhere for a proper appraisal of how we played today. So frustrating.

Double figures for both assists and goals this season for Watkins seems inevitable.

• Like 2

Great to get 3 points, great to see some football from us occasionally. It was very stuttering and disjointed still, when we had patience and then moved it quick we looked good but then we'd go through a 10 minute spell of mind bogglingly poor football. A good team would have killed us defending like we did. At times still country miles between players in all phases, that glaring hole in the middle kept coming back but at least it wasn't a permanent feature.

Buendia stakes a great claim to play in the role of his squad number, where that leaves Coutinho I don't know. Ramsey much improved, McGinn more disciplined. Great finish from Ings too. 

I'm still not convinced that's our best shape or first XI, also not sure if the good stuff was in spite or because of the instructions from the coaching staff 😉

Need to build on the positives, because last week there weren't any.

11 minutes ago, allani said:

It wasn't a great performance.  But for most of the first 87 minutes we were in complete control without getting out of second or third gear.  It would have been as easy a 2-0 home win as you are likely to see - apart from the bizarre attempt to snatch a draw from the jaws of an easy victory at the end.

I would agree we were in control in general play.

We weren't exactly banging the door down though, and Everton had several decent chances from set-pieces.

That was not a good performance. We will lose to most sides playing like that.

No complaints about Gerrard comments, he's got to get some confidence into the players. But it's him and his setup that is the issue here.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I saw one person describe it as a " terrible win " .

I kid you not 🤦🏿‍♂️

That's a good way to describe it! 

:lol:

• Haha 1

we REALLY needed those 3 points today, I thought the play was much improved from last saturday, however itc clear there are still a lot of issues which we need to resolve, we almost capitulated at the end there, a draw would have been awful after that game tbh.

I think that game was low on quality in large parts but Ings goal was awesome and a nice assist for Watkins, was delighted to see Buendia come on and get on the scoresheet. I expect he will be starting after Coutinho picked up that knock.

Total chaos in the final 10 mins though, I need to watch the whole thing again on MOTD to process it even though I was there lol, so many injuries, some last ditch defending etc and a few top saves from EMI M also.

I think Palace will give us a tougher game and look to expose us out wide, they also have a lot of power in their midfield so I do worry a bit more about that game but was a big improvement today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

A decent performance and I'll be happy.

4 points from Bournemouth, Everton and Palace won't get us the top half Gerrard is after.

4 points from Palace and Wet Spam might.

I prefer optimism, we are currently eighth in the table as it stands.

And relax....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

4 points from Palace and Wet Spam might.

I prefer optimism, we are currently eighth in the table as it stands.

And relax....

That would be a healthy return, yep. 

Performance the key to hope for returns like that.

Hate running out of reactions so early in the day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I would agree we were in control in general play.

We weren't exactly banging the door down though, and Everton had several decent chances from set-pieces.

That was not a good performance. We will lose to most sides playing like that.

No complaints about Gerrard comments, he's got to get some confidence into the players. But it's him and his setup that is the issue here.

That's a good way to describe it! 

:lol:

It was as easy a 2-0 win as you could hope for (or should have been).  Everton had some half chances from scrambles in the box.  But we scored two very good goals.  JJ and Couts almost combined at the end of the first half - which was closer than any of Everton's scrambles.  Digne put in a perfect cross where bizarrely Ollie decided to go behind the defender rather than try and get in front of him.  If he got in front it would have been almost impossible to miss.  Carlos had a great chance from a header at the start of the match and was unlucky later on that his howitzer hit an Everton defender because no-one else was getting close.  Ings cut the ball back perfectly from the byline for Watkins - who again made the wrong move away from goal rather than attacking the near post.  He goes the right way and it is a huge chance.  JJ missed a 1-1 when we went into injury time that would have put us 3-1.  Their goal was from an unlucky own goal. 

Obviously there is still plenty to work on.  But much more to be positive about.  If we hadn't needed to bring on 3 defenders at the end due to injury the panic would have been much less.  At least 2 headers / challenges that Konsa missed that Mings / Carlos had been gobbling up all day.

8 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

It is a really strange situation. There just doesn't seem to be any return in the faith put in here. The opposite. And yet..

Perhaps it was the way we finished? Although as I said earlier, this was an issue we had under Smith as well.

Up until their goal I was quite content with how we did. Never really looked troubled, put two past a team that set up from the off to frustrate us and simply defend etc.

A win is a win. Over the 100 minutes we were largely the better team. Everton were utter pants and I think it is going to be another long season for the toffeemen.

Back to Villa. Plus points it is an improvement from Bournemouth, we controlled the majority of the game and the midfield was improved. Buendia was lively when he came on and Ramsey had a good first half. Good to see Mings seems to be now off the naughty step. I hope all that is behind us now. Kamara looks decent.

Negative points- Coutinho didn't do a huge amount yet again and Buendia did more in 40 than Phil did in 60 mins.  Slack defending made a very uncessary hard last 10 which I could have done without as I was already melting by then. Set piece defending was pish and a  better team would have scored in at least one of them.  Wasn't entirely sure of all of he mass defensive subs at the end of the game but we got away with it. Overall season is up and running and  onto Palace.

We possibly should have been 2 up at half-time, second-half we had some good chances to further the lead.

Everton were always going to have some opportunities, we dug in a bit which was good to see.

Our possession statistics were good and we dominated for large periods.

Thought the midfield gelled a little better; Kamara looks very good and will only get better. I think Luiz, Kamara and Ramsey/McGinn would be better. However McGinn won't be dropped and Ramsey played well. McGinn was much improved a little more resolute and less cavalier, credit where it's due.

Happy seeing Mings back, he was assured and settled those around him.

Kamara MOTM but Cash was also very good too.

Buendia must start next game.

• Like 1

Just back from the match. Good to see Mings back, he should be one of the first names on the team sheet. Buendia must start, we look much more fluid with him in the team.. Good to get the win despite the nervy finish.

• Like 1

Villa were okay and even good in patches but conceding a goal 95 seconds after seeming to have killed the game, was troubling.

Two assists for Watkins and a goal for Ings, answered the critics, myself included.

I was hoping for a lot more from Bailey and Coutinho.

The referee made some strange decisions but they balanced out by the end.

I was very glad of the three points but Villa look a long way from being the team, the manager claims to be building.

Kamara was my pick for Villa's best outfield player.

Thought the first half, we did what we needed to do. Everton came for a point and were never interested in engaging us up the pitch. Ings did what you want him to do and took the big chance when it mattered. Second half we were in control, thanks in particular to Little Emi coming on - what a magician. 

Pros - Mings, Cash, Buendia and ESPECIALLY Kamara were excellent. Big Bouba looks a real coup. 

Cons - thought Digne was quiet going forwards, and didn't take the chance to overlap as much as he normally does. Coutinho a passenger again. And the big one was the lack of control at the end to make it a very nervy finish. 

Overall though, I feel like I saw enough glimpses to give some positivity. I'm still far from convinced by Gerrard, but today was just about alright to me. 

Â