Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

We have a decent squad , have to start at the back keep it tight , 4 in the middle .

We can stay up we just need a decent coach who can operate under pressure. Enough to buy us some time to get a manager who can push us on to the next level next summer. 

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

No we don’t. Many of the players are shit. Add a crap coach to that and you get a facking disaster, which is what we are right now. 

We have a stronger squad than at least 6 of the teams in the league. We have a crap manager who's upset the team spirit and played a system we can't play with the players we have..

The right manager will sort this lot out , the wrong one won't and this is the issue, Purslow picking out saviour, or will he, I think he may have no choice but to go with Gerrard. 

As long as SG is out by Monday, and the next manager isn't equally awful, we aren't going down. We still have a decent squad and will spend in January if we have to. Look at everyone from 14th down:

Southampton: Awful when we beat them. Their goal difference is about as bad as ours.

Everton: Probably have just enough to stay up again.

Leeds: Looked pretty bad against us. Better goal difference than us but will certainly be in the relegation mix.

Wolves: Worse attack than us. Prime candidate to go down.

Leicester: Awful in defence, but they've given up only 2 goals in the last 3 matches so they seem to be improving. They've scored more than anyone other than the top 3 and Liverpool. Unlikely to go down.

Forest: Awful all around, most likely to be relegated.

As long as we don't botch the manager situation, I think it will be Forest and 2 of Soton, Leeds, and Wolves.

The squad has enough in them to beat the teams around us - but the decision needs to be made now.

I'm hoping the club has employed many a data analyst, but the numbers do not lie. We will need to cobble together 4 points before the WC and then a minimum of 9-10 points in January. That will bring us to 25 points with 16 games to go. 1 PPG form will bring us just out of it but the margins are very small now.

So looking ahead to a season or two in the Championship. I wonder who we would be able to keep? Surely the likes of Coutinho, Bailey, Martinez, Kamara, McGinn, Ramsey, Digne etc would depart straightaway? I also think Luiz, Carlos & a few others would want out? Not sure on Buendia as he was in there with Norwich for a good while but he may want out too.

So It would likely be

Olson

Bidace - Konsa - Mings - Augustinsson?

Dendonker / Iroegbunam?

Kesler Hayden  Buendia   

Archer     Watkins

Subs: Ings, Ben Chrisene, Aaron Ramsey, Calum Chambers

Plus some incoming no doubt.

I have no clue how that team would fare but that's near to what I think we'd have left.

It's ridiculous we're not actually in the bottom 3. We are terrible.

No away wins and we've already played the three promoted teams, yikes.

Next manager going to have his work cut out as our usual of 6-7 wins at VP isn't going to be enough if we want a reasonably comfortable season now.

• Like 2

Just now, VillaChris said:

Next manager going to have his work cut out as our usual of 6-7 wins at VP isn't going to be enough if we want a reasonably comfortable season now.

I really think we're going down as things stand Chris. This is a shambles.

Only hope is a new manager & limping through till Jan and hopefully get Kamara & Carlos back pls a new striker & midfeilder.

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

1 point out of those 3 games. Absolutely abysmal 

• Like 1

We’re in a real spot of bother and it’s completely self inflicted through an extremely slapdash transfer policy and poor management. 

Im clinging onto hope that we’ll bring in somebody who can motivate and get something out of this group as well as the likes of Digne and Kamara coming back from injury. 

Gerrard was poor, really poor in fact, but you’re kidding yourself if you think he was the only problem. We’ve assembled a very average squad and spent huge amounts of money doing so. We have one winger who can’t be arsed, almost zero quality in midfield, two strikers who can’t score, zero pace or aerial threat in the side and almost no leadership. 

We’re a prime candidate to go down and it’ll be no more than we deserve. NSWE need to move Purslow on, just like they did Gerrard because I’m convinced he is a disaster when it comes to the footballing side of the game. 

• Like 2