Pre match thread

alreadyexists

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think it is fair to say, some issues do still linger....but it is pre-season, and some of the issues are mentality related.

The games, I have seen, our play has looked like Pre-season mentality....lets see if a more intense attitude is applied at Bournemouth.

I want to see us, nullify the first game bounce and challenge for every ball, I want to see an urgency come in to our game.

I agree it’s important to get at them and nullify the first game bounce in front of their own fans. But of course it’s our first game too and some player are new to the club so it’s very much a first game for them. It’s to some extent a first game for SG in his first full season with largely his own squad and so perhaps we can tap into this and get some first game bounce ourselves. It would be nice to start the game well and not take half an hour to wake up. Two good halves and it’s a game we should be able to win. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, messi11 said:

Its Bournmouth, weakest side in the division. We gotta go out there with straight backs and smash it! Give it 100% Beans and its an easy win, 
4-0 to the Villa

It won’t be easy, Bournemouth are a newly promoted team, they’ll be at it from the first whistle. We’ll need to match Bournemouth for intensity and effort and hope for the best on the day

12 hours ago, messi11 said:

Its Bournmouth, weakest side in the division. We gotta go out there with straight backs and smash it! Give it 100% Beans and its an easy win, 
4-0 to the Villa

The old Steve Bruce tactical game plan!

• Like 1

First games against newly promoted teams are always tough, i remember watching Brentford v Arsenal at their new place last year, they won 3-2, cracking atmosphere. So even with a poor team by prem standards they will be capable of raising their game. However i think Bournemouth without Howe are will be a much more beatable prospect, something about that guy made it so that they always beat us.

I'm going 2-0 Villa

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I am still waiting to see how we look when things click and we cut through the opposition with ease. That is something to look forward to. Training ground is state of the art. Infrastructure in terms of staff is of the highest quality. And we have 7 players handpicked by Gerrard now, not just another managers players. And then on top of that some yougsters picked by him to come up to the first team squad. 

Everything is in place to perform now. Zero excuses . 

Agreed, the trouble is we don’t look like we are ready to click from the first game.  And if we start the season slow, then we’re playing catch up when the harder games come round.

Will be a tough game but it's important for us to start well and we should have enough. Will say 2-1. 

I'd line up:

Emi

Cash Carlos Mings Digne

Luiz Kamara

Bailey Buendia Coutinho

Ings

I think Stevie will go:

Emi

Cash ? Carlos Digne 

Luiz Kamara McGinn

Bailey Watkins Coutinho

The question mark is who plays with King Carlos at the back. Could make a case for any of them. I think on balance it should be Mings shirt to lose - especially after having the captaincy taken away - but I think it might be Konsa given the Rennes line up. 

I've just been reading Scott Parker's comments when he was asked whether Bournemouth were ready for the first game of the season against Villa. Wow!

Talk about doom and gloom! I'm not good at posting links (the last one I tried was years ago and it got me in trouble with the mods), but it's worth browsing for the article.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've just been reading Scott Parker's comments when he was asked whether Bournemouth were ready for the first game of the season against Villa. Wow!

Talk about doom and gloom! I'm not good at posting links (the last one I tried was years ago and it got me in trouble with the mods), but it's worth browsing for the article.

Yeah i was going to comment on that. I would be very worried if our manager was speaking like this. Its like he has no faith in them and expects them to go down.  Very demoralising if i was a Bournemouth player

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i was going to comment on that. I would be very worried if our manager was speaking like this. Its like he has no faith in them and expects them to go down.  Very demoralising if i was a Bournemouth player

It sounds like he knows the squad isn’t good enough, and he’s just getting his excuses in early. They’ll be this seasons Norwich.

• Like 2

I'd go with:

Martinez

Carlos    Mings

Cash                                Digne

McGinn Kamara

Bailey   Buendia  Coutinho

Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Augustinsson, Konsa, Chambers, Ings, J.Ramsey, Young, Archer, Luiz.

But I think SG will start Luiz in a midfield three and might even play both Ings and Watkins at the expense of Buendia.

Edited by wedge

3 hours ago, 7392craig said:

It sounds like he knows the squad isn’t good enough, and he’s just getting his excuses in early. They’ll be this seasons Norwich.

Just lowering expectations.

I agree we have way way too much for Bournemouth - even if we ourselves aren't the real deal yet.

Easy villa win.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Thought I'd have a go

“We’re six days out from the start of the Premier League season and we’re way short of where we need to be,” Parker said. “That’s just the cold, hard facts. We barely have any defenders. We’ve lost eight players at the start of the season. At this present moment in time, this squad is much weaker than it was two months ago when we got promoted.

link

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

We're favorites and anything other than a win would be disappointing, but I wouldn't take much notice of Parker's comments, he's probably trying to play mind games, take pressure off his team and put more pressure on us. I'm sure he will be telling his players something completely different and probably believes himself that they can catch us off guard.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hippo said:

Just lowering expectations.

I agree we have way way too much for Bournemouth - even if we ourselves aren't the real deal yet.

Easy villa win.

Same here, I can’t see past an easy win. It just sounds like Parker has set them up to fail here.

• Like 1

Team I would go for:

----------------Martinez--------------------------

Kamara    Carlos

Cash                                Digne

McGinn Luiz

Bailey   Buendia  Coutinho

Anyone