162 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Captain?

• Mings
    • Martinez
    • McGinn
    • Young
    • Carlos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/22 at 19:47

Yeah i'm not feeling this at all.

Nothing against McGinn but WTF?!

This isn't a good sign for the lineup IMO.

Should have either stayed with Tyrone or gone to Martinez.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

What's telling for me is that Mings has been replaced in all three capacities - field captain, club captain, and not even given the vice-captaincy. That's quite shocking really, sends a very clear message. Don't think he'll be starting many games this season.

• Like 2

That's it then mcginnq plays every game every week, possession football dosnt work with mcginn in the team another season of garbage on its way.

Mcginn should not be in our starring 11 but captaincy suggests he plays very very poor decision from SG.

• Like 1

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

Gerrard seems to agree with what a lot of people have said on this board in regards to Mings being captain:

“Naturally, I have had to have a discussion with Tyrone Mings and have explained my reasons for making this decision. More importantly, I believe that not having the responsibility of the captaincy will allow Tyrone to focus more on his own game which can only benefit him and the team.”

Yeah this is a good point.

Most would be ok with that reasoning with regards to Tyrone.

It's the choosing of McGinn which is bemusing/ worrying.

I'm going to try and take my own advice and try not to get too triggered until I see how it all pans out.

But i'm feeling a bit wobbly... lol

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Gerrard seems to agree with what a lot of people have said on this board in regards to Mings being captain:

“Naturally, I have had to have a discussion with Tyrone Mings and have explained my reasons for making this decision. More importantly, I believe that not having the responsibility of the captaincy will allow Tyrone to focus more on his own game which can only benefit him and the team.”

This is bollocks though. Tyrone was the best English centre back in the league last season, made a few mistakes, everyone does. Didn't go into hiding. A top pro. 

If I was Tyrone looking at that, and hearing that I'd think what a patronising arse and be looking forward to the day he's kicked out of the door. I'd sooner hear, I don't fancy you as skipper, prefer a different type. 

Edited by Dale
  • Like 2

Not too fussed as I see it as mostly a symbolic thing. To put a positive spin on it John is well liked in the squad and maybe Gerrard see's him as more of an on the field leader in that respect (plus he was a midfielder and captain himself). Conversely perhaps this is to take some pressure off Mings and allow him to concentrate on himself.

Either way I appreciate people are upset that this confirms that McGinn will be starting every game but I expected that to be the case regardless. 

Edit: just saw the quotes above re Mings

Edited by KitKat
  • Like 2

Personally I don't see what Mcginn brings to be a captain for us, I get that he's a top guy and everything but I just viewed him as one of the teams leaders in a sense that new players and younger players can go to him for help etc. Obviously Mcginn must have shown something we haven't seen behind closed doors, we don't totally know the full story here. 

Martinez is who I had down to be our captain if it weren't going to be Ty, his mentality is what we needed from our captain. 

• Like 1

Should have stayed with Mings, Martinez, McGinn vice captains for when Mings is benched. 

Giving it to McGinn means he’s playing every week and that’s not how we’re going to progress. 

I know we’re not in the football world but you’d have to be blind not to see that. 

Sometimes football amazes me and not in a good way. 

Got nothing against Ginny but wrong decision for me. 

• Like 1

Shocking decision.  I can understand not having Mings as captain but if we are serious about finishing in the top half - McGinn can't play more than 70 minutes per match.  My expectation has just dropped from maybe 10th / 11th to us struggling to finish 12th.

9 minutes ago, est1874 said:

What's telling for me is that Mings has been replaced in all three capacities - field captain, club captain, and not even given the vice-captaincy. That's quite shocking really, sends a very clear message. Don't think he'll be starting many games this season.

Has it said who's gotten those other two positions?

Tyrone should be Club Captain IMO

• Like 2

Said it in the McGinn thread but specifically who wears the armband isn't a huge deal in terms of leadership for me as players who have those qualities can still demonstrate them, for example I don't believe Mings will suddenly not be one of the leaders on the pitch just because he's had the captaincy taken from him, so in that sense can see the merits in relieving him of the burden of the title to allow him to just do so naturally and focus more on his own game.

However giving it to McGinn is just something that worries me for what is to come. Love the guy and on his day he offers so much, but the problem has often been that even when he's had a great game up until say the hour mark only to become knackered, successive managers now have almost without fail left him on the pitch and we've subsequently lost control of games, or just generally been less effective.

The guy needs more competition for his place, both in terms of starting games and potentially getting substituted. The last thing needed was a title that seems to suggest the exact opposite of that will be the case.

• Like 4

Â