Ludwig Augustinsson

HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, rbcuk said:

A good signing as no point in paying 10mil plus for a backup defender as everyone knows digne is the main left back, use that money on a different position

Yeah my view as well

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

To be honest I couldn't name most PL teams back up left back so this is a fine calibre of signing for that role

The depth we have in each position puts almost every other club to shame, short of Man City maybe. I don't mean that our back up players are better than every other clubs but the gap in quality between our first choice and second choice player in each position is much closer and there are not really any positions that we don't have Premier League quality cover for. Look at other clubs, even in the sky big six and that depth just isn't there to the same extent. Once their first choice is out there is either a big dip in quality or there is no one short of a youth player to cover.

At Arsenal, for example, they have Jesus, backed up by Nketiah. We have Watkins competing with Ings. They have Tierney backed up by Tavares. We now have Digne backed up by Augustinsson (assuming ;) )

The drop off in quality at clubs like Man Utd, Crystal Palace, Brighton and Wolves is shocking!

4 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

The depth we have in each position puts almost every other club to shame, short of Man City maybe. I don't mean that our back up players are better than every other clubs but the gap in quality between our first choice and second choice player in each position is much closer and there are not really any positions that we don't have Premier League quality cover for. Look at other clubs, even in the sky big six and that depth just isn't there to the same extent. Once their first choice is out there is either a big dip in quality or there is no one short of a youth player to cover.

At Arsenal, for example, they have Jesus, backed up by Nketiah. We have Watkins competing with Ings. They have Tierney backed up by Tavares. We now have Digne backed up by Augustinsson (assuming ;) )

The drop off in quality at clubs like Man Utd, Crystal Palace, Brighton and Wolves is shocking!

I often think this way of us too but of late we possibly have had a higher opinion of our players.

To use an example we often think it is a good time to play a top six team as they have one or two players out or they will rest a few as they have a trip away in Europe. However every single time we (Villa) never grasp that opportunity or the reserve players of 'said' team play well as they also have an opportunity to impress.

Perhaps this season we will see better results and more consistency.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually think Ash is being tracked into some sort of coaching capacity at the club, i'd be surprised if his wages were much anymore.

Seems he genuinely likes being here, and the club like having him around.

Isn't this basically what Gerrard did with Defoe at rangers 

• Like 1

There's just no downside to this really. An international LB with a £500k fee.

Is a known quantity by our DoF and has played with 2 new members of our squad, so should be able to help settle them both, or settle quickly himself as a result.

It's not a perm so we aren't lumped with him if we don't want him and isn't going to block any of our youth products.

Plus he's a backup. We could easily have gone into the season with Young as backup.

Would Merlin, Gomez or Hickey have been more exciting? Sure. But one was £22m and the others are converted Wingers who may not adapt or may not have been willing to be behind Digne in the pecking order. 

Sensible signing with minimal downsides.

• Like 3

Wise move to bring in a competent player on loan to act as back up to a strong first team defender. He will be better than having Young as second choice LB and at the same time put the money we would have spent on a perm signing and put it in into a high quality central midfielder and maybe a striker. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

According to Wikipedia he's a lifelong supporter of Manchester United and dreams of playing for them one day. 

I think we've all learned over the past year-and-a-bit that players 'supporting' clubs doesn't really mean anything...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

According to Wikipedia he's a lifelong supporter of Manchester United and dreams of playing for them one day. 

Meaningless. He's here for the short term - and has a goal to work hard and get a move if he wants.

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

But according to the VillaTV interview when he gets announced he’s a lifelong Aston Villa fan and has always dreamed of living in Birmingham 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

In fairness its my dream to play for Villa one day, we probably have a similar chance of completing our goals 😛 

Â