Ludwig Augustinsson

HalfTimePost

1 minute ago, david-avfc said:

A promising youngster isn’t going to improve on the bench, so this gives him the opportunity to go out to league 1 or 2 and play 30 or 40 real games not just kids games so he should come back twice the player.

As for Young, he’s a versatile back up not sure we’d want to rely on him though. Think he’s probably only a year or 2 away from retirement but seems like a good senior pro to have around the dressing room for the youngsters and to set standards for the rest.

To me there's a whole lot of contingency plans there.

No reason why a promising youngster can't go on loan until Xmas in any case.

Solid signing, obviously a Lange one like Olsen from his FCK days. He will be a capable left back and has good crossing ability,  I think he takes set pieces as well. Loan really is a risk free deal

Only worry is it seems Sevilla preferred a centre back to him last season when Acuna was injured

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

People were wetting the bed that we only had Young as backup for Digne. 

Now we are signing an experienced international as backup, it still seems some people don't like it!

Its a smart move and solves that gap in the squad nicely. 

I know very little about him. I'm not against him by any means.

I just don't see the hard on to have 3 or 4 options at left back.

I'm guessing the outlay won't be massive so no harm done. 

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Tbf I'm struggling to see the point.

Back up LB to cover Digne - where we have a promising youngster and Ashley young.

All well and good. But I don't see a back up LB as a deal breaker next season.

Given how many games Digne missed with niggles in a short few months with us last season, I think it's fair to assume this is good business. He will play, hopefully not many games, but let's say Digne gets injured before games against the Top 4, this is certainly better than asking Young or a kid to step up.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Back up LB to cover Digne - where we have a promising youngster and Ashley young.

Chrisene is promising but was injured the majority of last season and he only turned 18 in January.

He's promising but he's not a widely-touted wonderkid.

I usually hate the 'he needs a loan' brigade. (KKH, Iroegbunam, Carney all mentioned as needing loans this year, it might suit KKH but not the others). Chrisene though, is the definition of needs a loan. He's a LB or maybe CM, so needs to find his position. Whose missed a year of his youth career pretty much. He needs to build physicality.

He isn't ready to be understudy to Digne. Yes Young is there, but it's crucial Chrisene gets minutes, may well be U23s is right place for him for another year... But on our bench isn't the one.

Nothing wrong with loaning Augustinsson and giving Chrisene a year to see where he's at. It might take 2-3 years until Chrisene is ready for first team action. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I know very little about him. I'm not against him by any means.

I just don't see the hard on to have 3 or 4 options at left back.

I'm guessing the outlay won't be massive so no harm done. 

We just the opposite Southgate. We now play gatesouth ball, with all the left backs 

7 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Chrisene must be on his way out on loan then? Seems an odd one! 

Nah. It makes sense for him to get regular football. He’s only 18 and needs to be playing.  If he’s what we hope he can be then the age gap between him and Digne is perfect. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Chrisene must be on his way out on loan then? Seems an odd one! 

He's only 18 and tbh probably not ready given Gerrard didn't throw him into any of the prem matches he was on the bench for last season and preferred to start Young.

I think this is a smart pick up. Experienced, rarely injured and given he was a squad player at Sevilla probably happy to do same here and fill in for Digne when required so Olsen type signing for the backline for not a huge amount.

Pretty sure a few on here were wanting us to sign him when he was at Bremen, Zat perhaps?

Just checked and he actually played 19 games for Sevilla last season which surprised me so that will be big help in getting Diego settled in aswell.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Fair play to Romano.  Often dismissed as a tap in merchant but he’d had musings about an incoming left back for us all week and now he’s broke the story.

Yeah he’s across so many transfers he often gets the tap in as many of the big names journos do. But he’s built a good name for himself and is clearly well connected. 

Chrisene might not even be a left-back long term, watching him play you can tell he's an excellent prospect, apparently rated extremely highly at Bodymoor Heath, but when I watch him play looks more of midfielder playing out of position to me, I think if he went on loan his loan club would probably be tempted to play him further forward in midfield as well. I wouldn't be massively surprised if we brought in a left-back for the academy, unless we've got an highly rated one coming through from the U16s.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, hippo said:

Promising youngster needs to go out on loan and play 20-25 games.

So we're then down to Young again if Digne's shoulder goes. Or he's tired from France going deep in world cup for the xmas games.

He featured in half of Sevilla's league games and they were top 4 with a good defensive record so think this is very astute move myself. Perhaps we won't sign him permanently and you'd like to think if loan spell for Chisene goes well he'll be ready to be intergrated into the squad in 12 months.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

Presumably gives us a year to see how Chrisene develops (possibly on loan). If he does well, this loan ends. If he doesn’t develop as we hope or if Ludwig suddenly becomes amazing, we make it permanent. Simples.

• Like 2

Â