Ludwig Augustinsson

HalfTimePost

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Romano pretty reliable. Most likely done.

Agreed.

But at this point its speculation. 

So I don't think this is signing out of the blue. It could be another week or so before he joins.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Agreed.

But at this point its speculation. 

So I don't think this is signing out of the blue. It could be another week or so before he joins.

Fair enough. The speculation came out the blue for me as I haven’t been following the transfer thread so much. But I’ve since seen he was mentioned a while ago. 

• Like 2

Surprised he wants to come on loan to us to be a backup. He's 28, played a lot of minutes at a decent level, just seems a bit odd.

Hopefully we plan to make use of the 5 subs next season. A lot of the teams in Europe don't seem to do it, but if we can bring on fresh new full backs and attackers with 20 mins left in games we should have a decent advantage with the options we now have.

I haven't seen this lad play since he left FC Copenhagen but their system heavily involved getting the full backs forward and putting in a lot of crosses.

• Like 2

Based on the video on the last page, he looks like a poor mans version of Digne - that'll do for me.

Nice to see us doing something sensible by getting a player similar to the 1st choice option - means when Digne is out, we won't suffer too much.

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, hippo said:

Tbf I'm struggling to see the point.

Back up LB to cover Digne - where we have a promising youngster and Ashley young.

All well and good. But I don't see a back up LB as a deal breaker next season.

The Young signing is the one that does not sit well with me. This one, however, is a very astute signing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

The Young signing is the one that does not sit well with me. This one, however, is a very astute signing.

Why? He may be very influential around the place and also a big help for the youngsters. Also can play in so many positions. I reckon he will slowly transition in to a coach for us.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why? He may be very influential around the place and also a big help for the youngsters. Also can play in so many positions. I reckon he will slowly transition in to a coach for us.

I prefer the players to be players, not good guys in the dressing room. Sure, he can play in many positions, but no longer to the standard required.

The kids have so many good international players to play alongside now actually on the pitch, they don't really need past-their-best influential players in the dressing room.

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

I prefer the players to be players, not good guys in the dressing room. Sure, he can play in many positions, but no longer to the standard required.

The kids have so many good international players to play alongside now actually on the pitch, they don't really need past-their-best influential players in the dressing room.

Fair enough, just don’t get why it would bother anyone. 

This makes the Ashley Young re-signing, after initially announcing him as released, really baffling.

We will have a better player than Ashley Young as a back up than him in every position he can play. So what was the point?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

If he is better than Target, I am happy. That should be the litmus test for any signing - he is better than the guy he is replacing.

That would normally be 100% the case, but Digne was Target's replacement, so Ludwig would be Ashley Young's replacement and the question would therefore be, if he was better than him. As we've still got Ash, that question doesn't really arise, so in my opinion, Ludvig simply increases our existing options. Target was never going to stick around and play second fiddle to Digne. If Ludwig sees the overtures that we have made to him, as too good to turn down, then that will give us another string to our defensive bow.  

11 minutes ago, Junxs said:

This makes the Ashley Young re-signing, after initially announcing him as released, really baffling.

We will have a better player than Ashley Young as a back up than him in every position he can play. So what was the point?

Pure utility…

plays many positions and is professional enough to be ready to fill in if we get a bucket injuries, illness, suspensions. 

Young and chambers are fantastic 3rd picks across the the outfield positions  

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 3

This is a signing that shows we are finally thinking about round pegs. It may be unpopular with twitter fans because he's not a player they can brag about, but he ticks a box that we currently have unticked.

28, experienced international with enough pace, but not a challenger for Digne and obviously happy to be back up for the season, so he won't be complaining about bench time. Nailed on LB cover without dipping into the "one more quality CM pot".

Spot on Lange.

As for Young, I think that squad unity is going to be an important feature this season, and Ash has shown that his presence is important on a day to day basis. He makes the BMH experience a top environment as evidenced by every training picture and video I've seen.

Respected senior players have that effect. 

Edited by villabromsgrove
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

We all know the impact John Terry had on the likes of Grealish (and by extension the impact of not having those types around beforehand). I think Young will be a great influence on the rest of the squad, and he can also slot in to a few positions if required, he's a useful utility player and I don't believe he's totally useless on the pitch - not like Micah Richards who was a busted flush for years before we finally got rid

• Like 4

Being Swedish I should know more about him, I remember him being really promising in the Swedish U21 team that won the U21 Euros 2015 and I have always regarded him as a big talent, but somehow he is now 28(!). I remember him playing well in the World Cup 2018 and scored a goal as well, but apart from that I haven't really noticed him, perhaps because I don't follow German and Spanish football that much and that the Swedish national team plays so defensive that no player really catches the eye apart from one or two.

I really wanted us to get Calvin Bassey, I guess going for Augustinsson means we wont 😞, in comparision to Bassey or Hickey it feels slightly underwhelming to bring in Augustinsson on loan as cover. I'm also not sure how he will cope with the physicallity of the PL. Having said that, he is a really good fotballer with a great left foot who probably suits our style of play with attacking full backs. A good cover for Digne. Digne and Augustinsson is such a massive upgrade on what we have had as left back alternatives over the past years.

In conclusion this signing is for me a bit like Robin Olsen, a smart move and a decent back up, but still a bit of a meh. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough, just don’t get why it would bother anyone. 

Yep, it's not a big issue and the club can clearly afford it. 

There may be something perhaps developing as a player coach as well. 

edit @JAMAICAN-VILLAN said it more eloquently than me! 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

Â