Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

Very poor tonight, I thought.

Gave the ball away and couldn't defend the counter for our first.

Free header from a corner not 8 yards out - header not on goal

Those 2 moments summed him up. I thought he was sloppy, overly physical when not needed and a step behind the pace.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

At his age he's not going to get a whole lot better. 

Wonder if we might be able to trade him to a Spanish club, still has a decent reputation there. 

Hasn't been up to the pace of the English game, for the most part. 

We paid 30 million for him, maybe 2 Spanish teams could afford anything close to that never mind his wages

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm convinced these big boys can never manage 60 minutes never mind 90 minutes. look at Antonio, Gabby ended up the same way too. You never see these big phyisical guys running marathons, they have the strength but not the stamina.

It would also help explain why he's making silly, careless mistakes late on in the game if he's tired.

Edited by AV82

3 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Very poor tonight, I thought.

Gave the ball away and couldn't defend the counter for our first.

Free header from a corner not 8 yards out - header not on goal

Those 2 moments summed him up. I thought he was sloppy, overly physical when not needed and a step behind the pace.

I thought he was fine until their first goal which was due to his lazy pass and flat-footedness after it.

And after the goal he just kept playing bad. 

He's confident in his ability and I like that, but he might be overconfident. 

He's a bit too nonplussed and casual sometimes when all that's needed is a bit more focus.

I think Carlos is comfortably the least capable senior CB we have to play in the style of Emery’s system. He’s far too hands on with opposition players and struggles to sustain his concentration. Premier League level, but not top 4-6 level - and likely too expensive to shift on anywhere but to another PL team. Good cover for Konsa but no more than that. 

Overreacting in this thread , he was a “baller” “beast” a few weeks ago. He’s a good defender is he better than Konsa or Pau no but a good defender nonetheless. Obviously has flaws but will be fine once Pau & Kamara returns.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Villa87 said:

I thought he was brilliant until the sloppy pass then he put in an absolutely woeful last 35 minutes. Strange - his head went. 

Would agree with this for the most part , his pace helped us out alot at times but that pass was so poor. Was unlucky to get hit with the second goal as Emi had it covered until then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yet he started against wins over city and Arsenal. He’s a bit rash but he’s still a decent defender. Needs Pau next to him though. 

You can carry an inconsistent wide player or winger, you can't really get away with an inconsistent centre half. 

Even Nyland could manage the odd good game in 20 or 30 matches.  It's not enough. 

Thick as mince.

Does those nonsense passes a few times a game. 

Different types as well usually. They're walloped into midfield bobbling all over with the recipient under huge pressure.

He's into my Stevie Gerrard shit pile of overindulgence waste.

• Shocked 1

Very fortunate not to give away a penalty too - it was the right call, due to offside, but Carlos didn't know that and absolutely goes through his man clumsily in the box. Only a few weeks ago he was looking class, but he was a liability last night

Had a perfectly reasonable game bar the pass which would usually be easier as Kamara is brilliant at picking the ball up off the defence. 

His free header is more annoying as it really was a great chance and would've sucked the life about of United's comeback. 

I've got two issues with Carlos.

Twice now, Bournemouth and United, he's played a sloppy pass into centre midfield that have led to goals.  He needs to stop doing it.

Second, he makes stupid unnecessarily risky and overly physical challenges in our final third leading to dangerous free kicks.  Arguably the one he was carded for on Hojland wasn't even a foul but there have been plenty of others over a few games where he's been like a bull in a china shop trying to wrestle or to go through the player rather than jockeying and timing a challenge like Konsa and Pau do. Yes he's a big strong bloke but a bit of subtlety and finesse wouldn't go amiss.   

• Like 1

Too casual and also can’t dribble.

Part of the reason the Konsa-Pau combination was so good was that Pau had elite passing but also smart decision making and could carry the ball forward. Kansa’s passing wasn’t as elite as Pau but he was a good carrier of the ball and rarely ever lost it venturing forward. 

Diego had some nice switches of play and passes between the lines with no pressure but then United started targeting him and Dendoncker and forcing him to play a pass because he can’t dribble himself out of trouble. 

He’s our 4th choice centre back for a reason. 

Costing us points this season. I want to like him. But I can’t. (Who doesn’t want to love a Brazilian centre half built like a brick shit house?)

Get Konsa and Pau back at the heart of the defence and either play Cash at right back or buy another one. 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Thick as mince.

Does those nonsense passes a few times a game. 

Different types as well usually. They're walloped into midfield bobbling all over with the recipient under huge pressure.

He's into my Stevie Gerrard shit pile of overindulgence waste.

I hate his stupid glasses too... Bet he can see fine withou them 👀

💀

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â