Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

66 points is a pipe dream.

We'd need to win 10-11 games at VP to have a chance and we simply never look capable under any manager for whatever reason.

Break 50 points and see how many games are then left. Similar points haul to 20/21 would be very decent effort as that would put us in mix for europa league looking at points totals for this season.

Would be great to go into Brighton home game with some sort of chance of european qualification.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

So is this you saying that if he gets Top 8 then you’ll get off his back? Or is this you saying that you expect top 8 as a minimum and it would take something better for you to be ‘happy’?

He needs to get top 8 to keep his job since apparently thats why he eas hired as a managerial upgrade though other circumstances come into play if we dont like a cup win or a huge points total in the top 10

I dont see any of the 3 happening myself

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He needs to get top 8 to keep his job since apparently thats why he eas hired as a managerial upgrade though other circumstances come into play if we dont like a cup win or a huge points total in the top 10

I dont see any of the 3 happening myself

So what does he have to do to get your support?

22 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

IMHO,Look at our last game Vs Man $ity.What we desperately need is a PL quality striker.I think we create more scoring chances than most teams,BUT we dont have the quality of strker to put a decent percentage of them away.Our strikers only seem to be able to put away 1 in 5 chances.Not good enough,IMHO.

Leaving aside the actual debate on strikers, this is such a weird take on that particular game (and I have seen it not just from you, but from a few). We scored two goals against the best team in the world, then conceded 3 in a few mins, and people think the answer is “well we should have scored more of our chances earlier on”. Is 1994-5 Kevin Keegan posting on here? How many teams score 3+ versus Man City, whoever is up front?!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

But what is doing his job well? What does that look like to you?

Not what he has done so far

Lost half his games, play dour football, finish 14th and not come across as a chequebook manager 

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

Not what he has done so far

Lost half his games, play dour football, finish 14th and not come across as a chequebook manager 

Why are you avoiding giving an answer? You sound like a politician! 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Woody1000 said:

Why are you avoiding giving an answer? You sound like a politician! 😂

I have given you the answer od minimum position already and the answer to why he is a failure so far 

• Like 1

I just used the Man $ity gam as an example ( As I remember it,we were on top till SG made that sub ) But the point I am trying to make is that.I think we would have more points if we had striker/strikers that put away more chances.( Maybe Man $ity was a bad example  ? )

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d love this but if they manage to sign Jesus, Raphinia and Tilemans that’s some serious quality added to the team. 

They won't sign those three. So we're all good baby!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

66 points is a pipe dream.

We'd need to win 10-11 games at VP to have a chance and we simply never look capable under any manager for whatever reason.

Break 50 points and see how many games are then left. Similar points haul to 20/21 would be very decent effort as that would put us in mix for europa league looking at points totals for this season.

Would be great to go into Brighton home game with some sort of chance of european qualification.

Until we find a way to be hard to beat,particularly at home.....these predictions are just a pipe dream....we have to develop a team to do that, cavalier football, is a road to nowhere.....albeit some will find it entertaining.

Sure scoring goals is super important......but until we become a team that are miserly in conceding goals, we are just pissing in the wind.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Until we find a way to be hard to beat,particularly at home.....these predictions are just a pipe dream....we have to develop a team to do that, cavalier football, is a road to nowhere.....albeit some will find it entertaining.

Sure scoring goals is super important......but until we become a team that are miserly in conceding goals, we are just pissing in the wind.

We can do that away from home.

Since Gerrard came in our away results have been:

2-1 at Palace

1-0 loss at Liverpool

2-0 win at Norwich

2-1 loss at Brentford

1-0 win at Everton

1-0 loss at Newcastle

2-0 win at Brighton

3-0 win at Leeds

2-1 losses to West Ham and Wolves

0-0 at Leicester

3-1 win at Burnley

So Man. City was only game where we've conceded more than two goals away under Gerrard which isn't too bad really. Played 13, won 6 and conceded 13 suggests we have a reasonably good formula and style of play on the road. Should've been less goals considering Burnley and Palace scored injury time consolations. 

Our VP form worries me far more. Simply can't be going months without winning a home game if you're serious about breaking into top end of the league.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We can do that away from home.

Since Gerrard came in our away results have been:

2-1 at Palace

1-0 loss at Liverpool

2-0 win at Norwich

2-1 loss at Brentford

1-0 win at Everton

1-0 loss at Newcastle

2-0 win at Brighton

3-0 win at Leeds

2-1 losses to West Ham and Wolves

0-0 at Leicester

3-1 win at Burnley

So Man. City was only game where we've conceded more than two goals away under Gerrard which isn't too bad really. Played 13, won 6 and conceded 13 suggests we have a reasonably good formula and style of play on the road. Should've been less goals considering Burnley and Palace scored injury time consolations. 

Our VP form worries me far more. Simply can't be going months without winning a home game if you're serious about breaking into top end of the league.

I agree and as you quite rightly point out, we are only just losing by odd goals....but beware, the clever teams just know how to win, during a 38 game arduous season, they know how to do just enough.....even if you score 5/6 you still only get 3 points, why waste energy.

maybe I should have re-phrased my wording away from "easy to beat"  to" easy to play against" probably more to the point.....thats why our results are the way they are imo....its was the same under Dean..... while I thought we had improved slightly,under SG, some traits still exist from Dean days, which doesn't surprise me as they are mainly players he brought in.

I am expecting to see a team harder to play against next season, and I will be disappointed, if I don't......but I still think we need at least a couple more players for the first team.....ones who can make a real difference.

At Villa park, we are got at, far too easily and the midfield just concede the intiative/territory so easily.....strengthening the midfield and defence is paramount.

I honestly think with the right platform behind them.....Ings,Watkins,Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey ( when functioning properly) can get us scoring goals......maybe another striker would be nifty, for rotation.

We have to get the "Engine room" sorted.....if we have any notion of Euro football.

• Like 1

Â