Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

Of course we should always be aiming for European/CL places/1st place. I still think that 10th or 11th is what we'll end up with, even with the obvious improvements to the squad.

I'm pretty though not entirely confident that we'll finish above Leeds, Everton, Brentford, Southampton, Fulham, Bournemouth, and Forest; not so confident about Palace and Brighton; not confident at all about Wolves and Newcastle. West Ham and Leicester could have poor seasons, but I can't see them finishing in the bottom half, which doesn't leave us a lot of room for error (barring some miraculous implosion from Arsenal, Chelsea or Man Utd).

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1

Think it’s going to be super hard to break into the top 8 this season. Seems like there are lots of clubs really improving this transfer window. Us, Leeds, West Ham, wolves, Newcastle. That’s without considering the top 6 spending tonnes again. I think there will be an even bigger divide between top 6 and the rest of the league this season. Can see about 8 clubs fighting for the 7/8th position

On 20/06/2022 at 11:00, His Name Is Death said:

Of course we should always be aiming for European/CL places/1st place. I still think that 10th or 11th is what we'll end up with, even with the obvious improvements to the squad.

I'm pretty though not entirely confident that we'll finish above Leeds, Everton, Brentford, Southampton, Fulham, Bournemouth, and Forest; not so confident about Palace and Brighton; not confident at all about Wolves and Newcastle. West Ham and Leicester could have poor seasons, but I can't see them finishing in the bottom half, which doesn't leave us a lot of room for error (barring some miraculous implosion from Arsenal, Chelsea or Man Utd).

Well if we aren't finishing above some of them we'll be getting relegated and Gerrard will never manage at premier league again. I think we'll do better than that as we simply have to.

Teams we need to be challenging next season properly, Wolves and Leicester. I think that's a good guide given how poorly Wolves finished last season and Leicester weren't great either although they did have a million injuries and still finished 8th.

Would throw West Ham in the mix but they combined europe with prem no problem last season and there's less games in the conference league. Think we'll have to wait until they sell Rice to seriously target finishing above them. At least beating them would be nice.

Man. United will likely be same as last season, loads of flaws in their team but will win enough games to get 6th or 7th.

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Well if we aren't finishing above some of them we'll be getting relegated and Gerrard will never manage at premier league again. I think we'll do better than that as we simply have to.

The reason why I'm not entirely confident about finishing above them is that, like Everton, I don't think we've lost our capacity to implode and go on an abysmal run. If we stick it out for a couple more seasons, I think we'll shake it off, but the streakiness of our form over the last 5 years (even in our promotion season) has shown there's still a very fine line between a confident Villa and an abject, self-doubting one.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

The reason why I'm not entirely confident about finishing above them is that, like Everton, I don't think we've lost our capacity to implode and go on an abysmal run. If we stick it out for a couple more seasons, I think we'll shake it off, but the streakiness of our form over the last 5 years (even in our promotion season) has shown there's still a very fine line between a confident Villa and an abject, self-doubting one.

Most teams below the top 4-5 are streaky, even Spurs had that four game losing streak in February when Conte was threatening to quit. We had some poor runs under MON but still finished 6th.

Really need a good start to the season to settle everyone down and see what happens so no losing five games in a row through October please again.

To be seriously fighting relegation you have to be abject for months on end as we all know so that simply must be beyond us given the squad we've built in last 18 months.

• Like 1

I genuinely think that the quality of players in the Prem this year is going to be the highest ever, and the competition is going to be fierce right through the league.

Even more so than ever the Prem is the place where top players want to test their mettle. Haaland is further evidence of this. 

I'm just glad we came up when we did, cos I think it's nailed on that the promoted teams are going to go back down again. I just can't see Notts forest getting anywhere near safety unless they spend 100 million plus. 

IMHO,Look at our last game Vs Man $ity.What we desperately need is a PL quality striker.I think we create more scoring chances than most teams,BUT we dont have the quality of strker to put a decent percentage of them away.Our strikers only seem to be able to put away 1 in 5 chances.Not good enough,IMHO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

IMHO,Look at our last game Vs Man $ity.What we desperately need is a PL quality striker.I think we create more scoring chances than most teams,BUT we dont have the quality of strker to put a decent percentage of them away.Our strikers only seem to be able to put away 1 in 5 chances.Not good enough,IMHO.

We had 4 shots and scored 2 goals in that game

• Like 1

What position we should aim for: 1 - As that's the point in a League. Failing that - As high as we can by scoring as many points as we can.
Yes, I am a genius.

10 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I genuinely think that the quality of players in the Prem this year is going to be the highest ever, and the competition is going to be fierce right through the league.

Even more so than ever the Prem is the place where top players want to test their mettle. Haaland is further evidence of this. 

I'm just glad we came up when we did, cos I think it's nailed on that the promoted teams are going to go back down again. I just can't see Notts forest getting anywhere near safety unless they spend 100 million plus. 

Man City will walk the league this season.  Liverpool a comfortable second.  Usual suspects rounding out the top 7.

Everything else up for grabs.

7th - 15th

Then I demand another manager and another 15 signings for the following season

Rinse and repeat. 

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

7th - 15th

Then I demand another manager and another 15 signings for the following season

Rinse and repeat. 

You would be happy with another uninspiring 14th placed finish. 

If that happens he will be sacked along with probably Purslow 

7 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

We were 14th in the league for big chances created (42), and we scored 52 goals. We’re actually 17th for big chances missed (30). 9th for shots on target per match (4.3). 14th for expected goals and scored two more than expected 

11 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

We were 14th in the league for big chances created (42), and we scored 52 goals. We’re actually 17th for big chances missed (30). 9th for shots on target per match (4.3). 14th for expected goals and scored two more than expected 

spacer.png

I am hoping for/expecting 66 points this coming season
The graph below is the points total after each round

image.png.d704f7d2dac131089138cce59182016c.png

To be fair I did something similar last season, but it was before the Grealish Saga. I was hoping for 65 points then. Did not go so well.

image.png.7e7ea5cdf5d65b96f1de538aeaca57da.png

The problem was losing to teams that we should get at least a draw. We can see the period that lead to Dean's dismissal and period with Gerrard towards the end where we were not getting points  when we should. Note ...  my prediction was not terribly scientific.

• Thanks 1

On 22/05/2022 at 01:51, Zatman said:

We sacked the last manager as we weren't challenging the top 8 after 11 games when the season before points total gets us top 8 most seasons 

We have luckily hired an "upgrade" so top 8 is expected but then again this "upgrade" I expected top 10 this season 

So is this you saying that if he gets Top 8 then you’ll get off his back? Or is this you saying that you expect top 8 as a minimum and it would take something better for you to be ‘happy’?

Arsenal. My aim is to be above Arsenal. I don't see a huge amount of difference in quality of squads, they overachieved last season I think and this year will revert to 6-8 position. 

I think they're an interesting barometer for how we measure our season.

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

Arsenal. My aim is to be above Arsenal. I don't see a huge amount of difference in quality of squads, they overachieved last season I think and this year will revert to 6-8 position. 

I think they're an interesting barometer for how we measure our season.

I’d love this but if they manage to sign Jesus, Raphinia and Tilemans that’s some serious quality added to the team. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

We had 4 shots and scored 2 goals in that game

How many shots should we be having v Man. City teams?

Spurs was surely the best game to make that example. Their forwards are world class but you simply can't miss the chances we did in the first half of that game and expect to get anything out of it.

• Like 1

Â