Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/05/22 at 23:00

4 hours ago, El Segundo said:

The winners in life and sport  are often those who make the fewest unnecessary errors and get the basics right 99.9% of the time.  That ain’t us.  Too many players come armed with a lack of concentration, ice skates instead of studded boots,  and a cache of bollocks ready to drop, which they do all too frequently, whether it’s a poor final ball, missing sitters or defensive cock ups.  As in the first half against Spurs we created multiple promising positions only to fail to finish or find a decent final ball. It’s frustrating.

Gerrard - Strange and wrong  decision to sub Nakamba and drop Luiz back to DM.  Probably cost us the game.  Tactically quite good including getting us to play some longer balls over their high line for Ings and Watkins to run onto.  However I still hate the keeping it narrow, lack of width thing he insists on, and we really need to ditch the playing it out from the back all the time until we have some defenders who are better on the ball.  

Referee – Is there a minus score, a sub-Mike Dean level? I hadn’t realised it was Jon Moss until after the first few shocking decisions and then the penny dropped.  The man who gave Man City an offside goal because he didn’t know the laws of the game, and then gave them a penalty when the ball was blasted at Cash’s arm from about a yard, having previously denied us a blatant handball pen against Arsenal away when the ball had travelled 10 yards or more.  Never get anything out of him and tonight was no different but while he perhaps didn’t directly affect the result, he did probably manage to plumb new depths in terms of bias and incompetence.  Achieved the rare feat of being slagged off by name by the crowd.

Crowd – did we really have to go back to the 80s and sing signing on songs? So out of touch and pathetic.  Marginally offset by calling out Jon Moss by name. 

Its called consistency and it makes us mid table, because its something we are striving for and not yet mastered.

but its  miles better than 3 seasons ago.

You are right, in your assessment, hence, we have to find players with the abilities to move us up a few rungs.

I think that game was an upgrade in defensive frailty to the Spurs game.....both games had errors, but this was not as bad as that.

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Im sure I recall you saying for a few weeks that Nkamba was our missing DM link ?

Now we need  Declan rice.

We aren't ever going to be buying players like that. Keeps your love child in excuses though.

If we're not going to look to buy better players in positions that would improve us then wtf are you expecting? 1000000% efficiency out of what we got? Nakamba had us playing good prior to his injury and this was his first game in ages. He had to come off because he was not fit for 90min. Did we look more balanced with him on the pitch? Absolutely. Would we look even more balanced with an even better CDM? Yes?

Better players are more consistent. It's why they're better players.

Also what has indicated to you that we're not aiming to sign top players? We just signed Digne and are close to signing Coutinho. 

Sorry but "keeps yor love child in excuses"? If anything @TRO is at least TRYING to be balanced in his opinions. Are you?

Edited by osmark86
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

If we're not going to look to buy better players in positions that would improve us then wtf are you expecting? 1000000% efficiency out of what we got? Nakamba had us playing good prior to his injury and this was his first game in ages. He had to come off because he was not fit for 90min. Did we look more balanced with him on the pitch? Absolutely. Would we look even more balanced with an even better CDM? Yes?

Also what has indicated to you that we're not aiming to sign top players? We just signed Digne and are close to signing Coutinho. 

Sorry but "keeps yor love child in excuses"? If anything @TRO is at least TRYING to be balanced in his opinions. Are you?

If you dislike someone, for just being themselves and nothing more........is there any hope?

If WE won the quadruple, Hippo would find something against him.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

If you dislike someone, for just being themselves and nothing more........is there any hope?

It's the incessant "I still think he's shit and here's why" that is so tiresome XD.

Sorry hippo, but just smell the roses sometimes yknow? It ain't all bad.

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

It's the incessant "I still think he's shit and here's why" that is so tiresome XD.

I don't mind someone saying the same thing repetitively, if they are right......like me with my CDM hobby horse.😀

...just kidding.

27 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

No I think Gerrard is an A1 clearing in the woods. And want him gone.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

DG grabbed the ball before the whistle went, which you can't do. So it was handball.

The whistle wasn't going to go.

If Moss thought it was a foul, he would have given the free kick to us, regardless of the handball - you give the free kick for the first offence.

Moss gave the handball because he didn't think that challenge was a foul.

Or because he didn't want it to be a foul - take your pick.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Conversely.

He will good when X 

X happens 

Ah he needs Y really.

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

I love to meet him whilst wearing running spikes. I would never tire of stamping on his head.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I love to meet him whilst wearing running spikes. I would never tire of stamping on his head.

Oh Dear.....you are less keen, than I originally thought.

However.........My guess is Hippo, if you met him.....you would melt in his arms and shreik hail mary's to seek his forgiveness....and be all over him like a rash, he would be your new prized possession.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Oh Dear.....you are less keen, than I originally thought.

However.........My guess is Hippo, if you met him.....you would melt in his arms and shreik hail mary's to seek his forgiveness....and be all over him like a rash, he would be your new prized possession.

About as unlikely as .......well something very unlikely !

7 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Make it make sense 

A retiring corrupt referee gets a last payday by making sure the team he got a family member to put a huge bet on won.

Seems obvious to me.

As Gerrard rightly said, I hope its looked into. But it wont because the Premier League does not care about its corrupt official problem, it wants to pretend it doesn't exist. Other leagues do investigate and take action, which is why their officials are better than ours.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

A retiring corrupt referee gets a last payday by making sure the team he got a family member to put a huge bet on won.

Seems obvious to me.

As Gerrard rightly said, I hope its looked into. But it wont because the Premier League does not care about its corrupt official problem, it wants to pretend it doesn't exist. Other leagues do investigate and take action, which is why their officials are better than ours.

I think its hugely generous some declaring him incompetent.

Incompetence does not confine itself, to one side, its ubiquitous and his decisions are not that.

• Like 3

Thinking about this game again after the dust has settled. 

feel this is a really neat micro-representative game for the whole season. So nearly very good. Defensively sharp and strong. Never look like conceding…..until we do. Mistakes and lack of composure in midfield putting too much pressure on the defensive unit to always be on their a game take a toll across 90 mins and in enough games have led to letting in 1/2 too many. 

midfield, often looks really connected, driving with the ball, dangerous attacking players, but always, always vulnerable in transitions. Too often we’ve got caught in the press, panicked, lost the ball and in a flash the defence carved open as they never seem to see it coming. The defensive switch from in and then out of possession in a team containing Mginn, coutinho and Luiz (plus an inexperienced Ramsey); is currently too poor, to be consistently competitive. Luiz last night, Watford at home, just too obvious examples. 

up front, just not clinical enough all season. Not in form, not fit, not decisive. 

just think where we could have been this year with any of these issues half solved. Watford, wolves, Leeds and spurs at home. 1 point from those 12! 

I think that we really aren’t as far off as the table this year shows and sometimes how I feel. There’s a team there that could get in the top 7 next year and with an upgrade on nakamba and perhaps one of the centre backs….we could be even higher. 

sort out transitions from midfield losing the ball or stop them giving it away so cheaply……and that’s before any staff changes. That’s just descent coaching! Maybe that’s what gerrard and smith needed to sort more than anything else? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Conversely.

He will good when X 

X happens 

Ah he needs Y really.

I disagree and I'm not even 100% convinced by him either. The constant whining is definitely more annoying than cautious optimism. every. damn. time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tommytenjobs said:

Thinking about this game again after the dust has settled. 

feel this is a really neat micro-representative game for the whole season. So nearly very good. Defensively sharp and strong. Never look like conceding…..until we do. Mistakes and lack of composure in midfield putting too much pressure on the defensive unit to always be on their a game take a toll across 90 mins and in enough games have led to letting in 1/2 too many. 

midfield, often looks really connected, driving with the ball, dangerous attacking players, but always, always vulnerable in transitions. Too often we’ve got caught in the press, panicked, lost the ball and in a flash the defence carved open as they never seem to see it coming. The defensive switch from in and then out of possession in a team containing Mginn, coutinho and Luiz (plus an inexperienced Ramsey); is currently too poor, to be consistently competitive. Luiz last night, Watford at home, just too obvious examples. 

up front, just not clinical enough all season. Not in form, not fit, not decisive. 

just think where we could have been this year with any of these issues half solved. Watford, wolves, Leeds and spurs at home. 1 point from those 12! 

I think that we really aren’t as far off as the table this year shows and sometimes how I feel. There’s a team there that could get in the top 7 next year and with an upgrade on nakamba and perhaps one of the centre backs….we could be even higher. 

sort out transitions from midfield losing the ball or stop them giving it away so cheaply……and that’s before any staff changes. That’s just descent coaching! Maybe that’s what gerrard and smith needed to sort more than anything else? 

I think is easy to turn to coaching, for every solution.

Pep is supposed to be one of the best coaches in World football......but is Jack any better at City, than he was with us?

Its clear to me, even watching Nakamba getting about opponents, the others don't do it with the same drive and Nous.......They are simply designed for attacking.

Nakamba's inability to pass with aplomb, sometimes negates his ability to win the ball or disrupt.....which is a skill on its own.

Coaching can only achieve so much......you can't polish a turd, as they say.

• Like 1

On 11/05/2022 at 14:01, TRO said:

Its very difficult to be incompetent on one side only.

Yes tended to give most decisions one way but he wasn't fit enough to keep up with the speed of the game. That was his biggest problem. 

Â