vs Man Utd in Perth (July 23rd)

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

I agree, it’s difficult to choose between Chambers and Konsa, Chmabers hasn’t put a foot wrong and Konsa has really surprised me (other than the nearly own goal).

I think KKH is ready, I can see him having as much game time as Cash, he is that impressive, it seems that’s the end for Guilbert. 

I liked McGinns effort today, but every action looks a yellow card, it’s a worry. I feel we still need that dominant #8 that we currently don’t have. 

Very impressed by the application of our subs, they are all fighting for a place and that’s great. If Gerrard is honest he has some difficult decisions, competition is no use if you don’t reward performances, on todays showing we should see a shake up on Saturday.

He’s not gonna drop Coutinho though, Same goes for McGinn I think as well, This is the problem

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

For all the pointing the finger of blame at him for the initial lineup, which clearly didn’t work at all today and doesn’t seem to work often enough to warrant sticking with it - people do understand that he also then picked the second half lineup too right?

Like it didn’t just happen by accident.

He’s obviously toying with the two formations, perhaps we’ll mix it up dependent on who we’re playing against?

I'm not convinced he is. He said how frustrated he was at half time. I think those changes are because of how bad the first half was. 

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

People losing their heads after a pre-season game is tedious.

Plenty of constructive stuff pointing out issues we've all seen before. The manager obviously hasn't yet.

Not seen much constructive stuff on why it'll be different when the season starts. If you like what you've seen under Gerrard, please share and some may agree with you.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rolta said:

People losing their heads after a pre-season game is tedious.

Teams which finished higher than us and are " better than us " have lost pre season matches against inferior opposition, I'd be interested in visiting a couple of those forums.

Mind, if we obliterated all our pre season opponents I wouldn't necessarily take it as we are going to be outstanding in the PL either.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mind, if we obliterated all our pre season opponents I wouldn't take it as we are going to be outstanding in the PL either.

Bet you'd be really excited though.

Had some excitement for the season sapped today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

You have to laugh, listening to the news on talkSPORT when they did the sport section the bloke stated how United had a let a 2 goal lead slip when Callum Chambers equalised in the last minute after United taking the lead in the first half with goals from Jadon Sancho and an own goal from Matty cash. No mention at all of the goal of the game or scorer 🤦‍♂️

I gave that a laugh but I really wanted to give it a “feck off Man U loving media face”  but I couldn’t find one. This is a problem that the mods need to resolve. I’d probably run out of reactions about an hour into most days though, so perhaps not. 

2 hours ago, andym said:

I think the concern is if the changes for the 2nd half were just pre-planned, standard pre-season rotations (we changed 5 players, all pretty much like for like in terms of position), rather than any tactical reaction, and the first half team is what he's thinking of as his 1st XI going forward.

We changed formation at half time with one up top and Buendia / Bailey in behind 

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We changed formation at half time with one up top and Buendia / Bailey in behind 

When Archer came on I saw it as 3 up top with Buendia in the middle. He seemed to be doing the highest press but also dropping when we had the ball.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When Archer came on I saw it as 3 up top with Buendia in the middle. He seemed to be doing the highest press but also dropping when we had the ball.

archer came on in the second round of subs though right? Around the 60th minute IIRC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

We have Buendia 33 Coutinho 17 Traore 17 Ings 25 Bailey 25 and Watkins 30 . Thats near as damn it 150 mill of attacking talent. 

If you cannot get a system to work with that talent at your disposal you either come up with a new one or you resign / get sacked. 

An embarrassment of riches whether they are in form or not .

But he did find it today, by getting a draw against a Man United side that thumped Liverpool 4-0 in preseason.

Surely that's one of the main points of the game, is to find what yields a success, and work on the elements that aren't clicking. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

You have to laugh, listening to the news on talkSPORT when they did the sport section the bloke stated how United had a let a 2 goal lead slip when Callum Chambers equalised in the last minute after United taking the lead in the first half with goals from Jadon Sancho and an own goal from Matty cash. No mention at all of the goal of the game or scorer 🤦‍♂️

"one eyed joe from Mexico"....thats what we are up against.

second half we could have had a few more, bar for some timely defending from them.

Thats what breaking in to the cartel is like.

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

He’s not gonna drop Coutinho though, Same goes for McGinn I think as well, This is the problem

I still don't think Coutinho is a problem......I think allowing opponents to nullify him , might be.

He is a creator......we have to protect him, but have we got the players to do that?.....we need another top player to partner Kamara.

5 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

That looks a right good side. 👍

Add in a keeper and it is top notch. 😀

Less of an omission and more of a statement of how automatic Martinez is!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

Some bold suggestions too.

It is sad to see Watkins struggle for goals. Honestly I think, through overcoaching or some notion he has, he's become one of those strikers who has prioritized his upper body strength and ability to bring others into the game, over his own goalscoring.

Sounds like we have turned him into Keinan Davis 

Â