Match Thread: Villa v Watford

limpid

The 'its difficult because they are parking the bus' line is true, but not good enough. Most other teams find a way past that approach, which is why Watford are where they are. If we can't match the achievement of most other teams, logic says we will end up closer to Watford than most other teams.

Just now, El Zen said:

That’s just it. Hesitation. Taking that extra touch, stepping on the ball, slowing down. They’ve got the talent, just lack the conviction. 

it's how I see it too. we're pausing and overthinking a little bit too much instead of going along with the mojo. confidence thing I'm sure.

Just now, osmark86 said:

it's how I see it too. we're pausing and overthinking a little bit too much instead of going along with the mojo. confidence thing I'm sure.

That is a big thing, we haven't seen enough of JJ.

McGinn is far too pedestrian and ponderous. He slows us down way too much, tries his FIFA passes with mixed results.

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

How are we so shit and getting shitter. Look at our squad FFS.

Do we have Sherwood Mk. 2 on our hands or can he actually get a tune out of this squad…

So you think this is worse than the last performance then?

I'm confused.

Ings really good half, a bit rusty but showing what we have been missing up front. He won’t miss many chances like that, good play overall from him.

Overall the team have been good just very slow building up which has restricted more chances. Worried about sucker punch now from Watford!

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Watford only get that chance on the counter because McGinn isn't covering Cash. That's a big issue to resolve.

We were very aggressive about sending everyone forward for the first 25 minutes. Several times I counted 8 men forward, just Mings and Chambers back (or once Cash stayed back and Chambers was forward). It was like we were Man City and we were so confident about keeping the ball we didn't think we had to keep anyone back...

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Gerrard: "I want a peformance next game. No excuses"

Players play decently - some fans: "Rubbish, making bottom of the league look good".

Can't win sometimes.

you'll never win against fan expectations.

Parking the bus requires energy and concentration. When they concede most teams that use this tactic become unstuck later in games. Not worried, we’ll get em tired and thrape them.

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Much improved but Watford are on a high and making it difficult, class will show at some point and we hopefully snatch the win.

I think the idea that we might snatch the win, at home, to the worst side in the league should dampen some of the enthusiasm about how much of an improvement this is meant to be over the previous shambles.

Just now, HKP90 said:

Parking the bus requires energy and concentration. When they concede most teams that use this tactic become unstuck later in games. Not worried, we’ll get em tired and thrape them.

Requires us to play the same in the second half. Lost count of the times we only play well in one half of football.