Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

50 minutes ago, allani said:

Pretty sure that xG is based on chance conversion?  Ollie's issue is that he wastes a lot of good positions by giving the ball away before the chance is created.  He also doesn't create opportunities by being instinctive - he is a reactive player (particularly in the box) and often allows defenders to get back to clear balls that he should be making his.  That is still wasteful.  I just don't see him as a natural goalscorer which is what I think we need going forward.  I'm sure he'll do pretty well in a different role, possibly at a different club.  But I just don't think he will ever be on the same wavelength at Emi2 and Couts - in which case it will always look like we aren't creating enough chances for him.  Ings had a pretty torrid time and I'm sure will have been disappointed that he didn't score more goals - but the types of runs he was making were much more along the lines of what Couts and Emi2 will be expecting / wanting in front of them.  Can we rely on Ings as our main striker next season?  Probably not.  But I'd be looking to sign someone more in the Ings mould than then Ollie mould.

Watkins gets a number of chances because of pressing and running. If he goes on to waste them, one could argue no real harm done when compared to a more static striker who may be clinical but doesn’t get all those chances in the first place.

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

I often wonder about players like that, do they recognise Tyrone Mings? Does Messi keep tabs on the Premier League and does he know who Conor Hourihane is? Would Figo be aware of Ashley Westwood?

Messi sure knows who Ashley Young is 😉

2 hours ago, macandally said:

No preseason together, manager change a third of they way in, playing as a pair and then alone with two tens.

They are two very good strikers with different attributes, with a plan, Gerrards players and a pre-season let’s see how they fair.

With your logic, United should have got rid of De Gea and Ronaldo after their first bad season.

Ronaldo bad season 🫤 im sorry which ronaldo have you been watching? and no my logic shows WE finished 14th place and part of that is clinical decisiveness in the final third 🫣 so we need to try and change that for the better instead of thinking like a small club and being content … be ruthless and make a change im not saying sell everyone but one must be sacrificed and that sir is my logic!

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Marcelo to push Digne? 

Maybe Lil Phil can put in a word.

Marcelo is completely finished, he has just been a cheer leader at Madrid this season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Ollie's actual goals were almost identical to his xG, which kind of dispels the image of him as a wasteful striker. 

To give some perspective, strikers that have failed to meet their xG, and could therefore be considered more wasteful include:

Aubameyang

Havertz

Calvert Lewin

Jesus

Sterling

Antonio

and surprisingly Kane. Son appeared to have been much more effective at converting the chances he was presented this year in the Spurs lineup. 

If we get our strikers more chances by sorting out the Midfield, which hopefully we are on the way to doing, we WILL score more goals with our current strikeforce. I have no doubt whatsoever. 

As an aside, in looking up the above, of note was that Jamie Vardy, as annoying a cockwomble as he is, remains one of the most effective finishers in the Premier League, far outstripping his expected tally.  

I like watkins and want him to continue playing but we need someone else and ings appears no longer clinical enough to take us to that next step… now for the players you have mentioned I wouldn’t swap any of them bar Gabriel Jesus MAYBE for watkins … so that shows how much I actually rate watkins contrary to belief but he cannot be solely relied on and neither can Ings so something has to give

I see the Snake has been released from Everton, that's one ex-player that I'm confident that no Villa fan would want to see in our shirt again, perhaps the path previously trod by Dwight to Small Heath is one for him to follow, what a match that would be snake and sh**e! 

I fancy another link or two for us today, I know that like a swan we are probably paddling furiously undetected, underwater to get another deal done. I would still rather like a spurious rumour, or a little in the know to be going on with.:cheers:  

5 hours ago, Gompedyret said:

We desperately need some good and proper transfers to discuss, or this thread will slowly descend into madness.

Slowly?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Can't say I'm liking this Ashley Young thing start to become a mini saga. Figure it out, guys!

Don’t really wanna be associated with a player like that, considering his conviction for second degree murder.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Don’t really wanna be associated with a player like that, considering his conviction for second degree murder.

No that wasn't Ashley Young. You must be thinking about Ashlee Simpson.

• Like 1