Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

3 minutes ago, 8pints said:

FVIZjdwX0AAxl9m.jpg.126b64dbaf09c5c6aa46e07c290b17cf.jpg

“42 isn’t that old in modern football, with the current standards of fitness. A player like him at Villa would guarantee us CL football. Sign him up Ty”

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The high expectations for Watkins were based on us having Grealish and Buendia. When we subsequently lost Grealish, those expectations for him were lowered.  Then we signed Ings and everyone asked...well, what formation are we going to play that let's both of those potential goal scorers perform?

12 months later and we might have finally found an answer, but it took 10 months to find.

If we take both players end of season form, when the team started to click, we may see that it isn't a position that needs urgent attention. The strengthening of the defence in terms of our ability to play from the back,  and our central midfield in terms of breaking up opposition play and starting our own counter attacks means we'll be create more chances. 

If Ings and or Watkins hit the form of 2020, or late 2022, rather than 2021, we'll be absolutely fine. It only needs one of them to revert, and we won't be struggling.

I'm optimistic if we go as we are we'll be OK. But equally, if we sign a striker that has delivered in Europe already, I wouldn't say no to bringing them in and replacing one of Ings or Watkins. I just don't see us attracting anyone in that mould. SG factor, or not.

I think we still need a very good additional CM, preferably a dominant, imposing Bissouma-like player: Sangare or similar to play alongside Kamara.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CalVilla88 said:

He would be a good addition to the squad, I am not sure he is the best choice for automatic first 11. A good player but I want more defensive solidity in the midfield

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think we still need a very good additional CM, preferably a dominant, imposing Bissouma-like player: Sangare or similar to play alongside Kamara.

Agree on that front, was thinking more solely about the striker options with the comment you bolded.

Sangare appears to have quite the passing range on him too, so he looks like he'd be brilliant. But yes, anyone like him, with experience, will do

31 minutes ago, 8pints said:

FVIZjdwX0AAxl9m.jpg.126b64dbaf09c5c6aa46e07c290b17cf.jpg

I often wonder about players like that, do they recognise Tyrone Mings? Does Messi keep tabs on the Premier League and does he know who Conor Hourihane is? Would Figo be aware of Ashley Westwood?

Edited by a m ole
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Agree on that front, was thinking more solely about the striker options with the comment you bolded.

Sangare appears to have quite the passing range on him too, so he looks like he'd be brilliant. But yes, anyone like him, with experience, will do

I share your thoughts on our forwards, if you include Traore, Bailey and Archer we have very decent options, most sides in the division would envy that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

“42 isn’t that old in modern football, with the current standards of fitness. A player like him at Villa would guarantee us CL football. Sign him up Ty”

Not the sort of person we want at Villa, I am surprised with Ty posting a photo with him, not good for his image

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I often wonder about players like that, do they recognise Tyrone Mings? Does Messi keep tabs on the Premier League and does he know who Conor Hourihane is? Would Figo be aware of Ashley Westwood?

Of course they'd know Mings - not sure about the other two. 

2 hours ago, Villa Stu said:

I would say it’s down to both of them scoring the same number of goals as their expected goals. We need to create more chances for our forwards. I know it’s easy to remember a big miss in a game from one of the forwards but they have shown that both of them perform consistently to the standard that is expected statistically, hopefully with a better defensive base our creative players will create more for our forwards. 

We also need be harder to score against, hopefully that will be the case with the additions of Carlos and Kamara.

It may also give our English players more determination that they have missed out on this squad for the nations league, they will all need to up their performance if they are to make it in the World Cup squad

It isn't just down to the rest of the team to create chances.  The number of good attacking positions that we through away because Ollie is so poor at reading a game and knowing where other players are was ridiculous.  He's not strong enough to battle with opposition defenders, his first touch is woeful and he's not very good at knowing which part of the pitch he should be attacking.  Just look at the number of time he's nearly in the right position but on his heels because he's not thinking about what might happen, he's reacting to what has happened.  The best forwards always seem to be in the right place at the right time and create their own chances through making intelligent runs.  Ollie almost never plays for the keeper making the save and as a result often the deflected shot either goes to the defender who has carried on his run or into space in front of Ollie because he's not been following in.  He has some commendable attributes but I just don't think he's the type of forward we need moving forwards.  The system it looks like we want to play isn't the same as the one that Smith played (for which Ollie was more suited) and I just don't think that he will make the types of runs that Emi2 and Couts need him to make in order to create those chances for him.

6 hours ago, sne said:

Watkins scored 6 in 2022 and Ings 4. That's pretty dismal.

Happily upgrade on either of them.

Woeful and many are comfortable going forward with this… our club as I mentioned before want to move at a similar rate of Manchester city … we will throw the money in there aslong as it does not affect FFP, we are trying to launch up the table with the big boys we are going to need to rely on someone other than watkins/ings and mcginn can drop straight to the bench aswell we need a silky luka modric type player to come in for him and play alongside ramsey 

7 hours ago, sne said:

Watkins scored 6 in 2022 and Ings 4. That's pretty dismal.

Happily upgrade on either of them.

i saw this earlier, i found it rather interesting.

Maybe we should have used him more.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Woeful and many are comfortable going forward with this… our club as I mentioned before want to move at a similar rate of Manchester city … we will throw the money in there aslong as it does not affect FFP, we are trying to launch up the table with the big boys we are going to need to rely on someone other than watkins/ings and mcginn can drop straight to the bench aswell we need a silky luka modric type player to come in for him and play alongside ramsey 

Ollie's actual goals were almost identical to his xG, which kind of dispels the image of him as a wasteful striker. 

To give some perspective, strikers that have failed to meet their xG, and could therefore be considered more wasteful include:

Aubameyang

Havertz

Calvert Lewin

Jesus

Sterling

Antonio

and surprisingly Kane. Son appeared to have been much more effective at converting the chances he was presented this year in the Spurs lineup. 

If we get our strikers more chances by sorting out the Midfield, which hopefully we are on the way to doing, we WILL score more goals with our current strikeforce. I have no doubt whatsoever. 

As an aside, in looking up the above, of note was that Jamie Vardy, as annoying a cockwomble as he is, remains one of the most effective finishers in the Premier League, far outstripping his expected tally.  

57 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Not the sort of person we want at Villa, I am surprised with Ty posting a photo with him, not good for his image

Couldn't care less about Passport scandals and the rest of his life.

Bloke is an absolute legend in the game, and after all, Tyrone is a footballer!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Ollie's actual goals were almost identical to his xG, which kind of dispels the image of him as a wasteful striker.

Pretty sure that xG is based on chance conversion?  Ollie's issue is that he wastes a lot of good positions by giving the ball away before the chance is created.  He also doesn't create opportunities by being instinctive - he is a reactive player (particularly in the box) and often allows defenders to get back to clear balls that he should be making his.  That is still wasteful.  I just don't see him as a natural goalscorer which is what I think we need going forward.  I'm sure he'll do pretty well in a different role, possibly at a different club.  But I just don't think he will ever be on the same wavelength at Emi2 and Couts - in which case it will always look like we aren't creating enough chances for him.  Ings had a pretty torrid time and I'm sure will have been disappointed that he didn't score more goals - but the types of runs he was making were much more along the lines of what Couts and Emi2 will be expecting / wanting in front of them.  Can we rely on Ings as our main striker next season?  Probably not.  But I'd be looking to sign someone more in the Ings mould than then Ollie mould.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RicRic said:

Well surely ings wouldn’t be happy on the bench but I understand your idea

its not about being happy, its doing something about it, if you are left out.

reputations don't win games......desire/application does.

40 minutes ago, RicRic said:

No preseason together, manager change a third of they way in, playing as a pair and then alone with two tens.

They are two very good strikers with different attributes, with a plan, Gerrards players and a pre-season let’s see how they fair.

With your logic, United should have got rid of De Gea and Ronaldo after their first bad season.