Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What if Kamara gets injured or suspended?

Or we want to play a double pivot Vs certain opposition ?

Cup games etc?

We will never play a double pivot. It's a significant departure from our base tactics of 3 man midfield as the 8s need to cover the full backs. We need the 3 man midfield when we have the attacking full backs

12 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I heard this Botman is left footed? Lacroix looks left footed too. Pau Torres was such a random link in January and he also is left footed. Mings leaving or being relegated to the bench maybe? 

Lacroix is right footed. Botman and Torres are just both good young cbs who will liwkly look to move as their clubs aren't very wealthy atm. 

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We will never play a double pivot. It's a significant departure from our base tactics of 3 man midfield as the 8s need to cover the full backs. We need the 3 man midfield when we have the attacking full backs

Kinda hope we move away from that particular part of the tactic as I think it's really stupid and leaves the DCM in a hopeless and exposed position.

Must be possible to have attacking full backs without leaving a massive hole in the middle of the pitch. Other teams manages it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, supermon said:

I'd love to have Suarez in our team, the guy can do a job, even if it's just for a season or two. He knows where the back of the net is, Ings Watkins and Suarez isn't a bad front three. Have Archer go on loan for another season.

Even if he couldn't do a job I'd still love him at the club. He was one of the 5 best players in the world for half a decade. He's a master of gamesmanship and a filthy bastard which we need. Look at what Ibra did for Leao after he was massively struggling after signing for AC. Bring in Suarez and a young striker and flog Ings. 

10 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Re: Suarez, he doesn't play ninety minutes anymore...

But he's a winner....impact substitute, occasional starter, experience and mentor for the squad and the likes of Archer, Ramsey, Chukwuemeka etc.

One season deal, yeah I can see the logic.

Also a look to the future with Edens and Sawiris bid for an MLS franchise for 23/24. Bring in a headline name with 10s of millions of followers could easily boost the margins of a brand new club. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Kinda hope we move away from that particular part of the tactic as I think it's really stupid and leaves the DCM in a hopeless and exposed position.

Must be possible to have attacking full backs without leaving a massive hole in the middle of the pitch. Other teams manages it.

Well it works as in the widest attacking players are the full backs. That will not changr at all given how productive and high quality our full backs are. 

There is no massive hole in the pitch. We have a 2 3 5 attacking shape and one of the 8s can get involved in an attack too we just need the other two Midfielders to position themselves to cover it. Having a proper CDM now will really help

34 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Wouldn't we just be investing into people just sat on a bench though? Whoever we sign now will probably be backup for Kamara.

You’ve got a have a whole squad capable of filling in without drop of much quality 

Just now, CVByrne said:

Well it works as in the widest attacking players are the full backs. That will not changr at all given how productive and high quality our full backs are. 

There is no massive hole in the pitch. We have a 2 3 5 attacking shape and one of the 8s can get involved in an attack too we just need the other two Midfielders to position themselves to cover it. Having a proper CDM now will really help

Disagree very much about that.

A proper DCM will help but IMO the tactic is still very flawed and when we lose the ball it only takes about 1-2 passes or a quick player to cut us open.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Why do we? We have Nakamba as backup and Luiz who can play they (admittedly not his best role).

I would be surprised if Luiz was still here next season. Not because he's no good and not because I want him gone (I don't), but because he seems to have suitors, is very saleable, and is in a squad position we're currently buying dedicated players for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I would be surprised if Luiz was still here next season. Not because he's no good and not because I want him gone (I don't), but because he seems to have suitors, is very saleable, and is in a squad position we're currently buying dedicated players for.

Agree, our starting mid three right now would be McGinn  - Kamara - Ramsey (imo), and it's very possible we sign another player in this window who displaces SJM or JJ as a starter.

I'd prefer him to stay but with Kamara already, I'm not the arsed about him.

I got pelters for calling him this years ago but I still think he's ceiling is mid-table PL player. I'd be surprised if he ever goes on to become a regular starter at any of the big sides being linked with him. He really isn't that good.

50 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This is wrong. Gerrard played with a double pivot at times at Rangers. He has deviated from the two tens already, by playing 4-4-2 diamond. A double pivot provides better cover for the fullbacks then getting the 8's to track back. We have seen what happens when our 8's get penned back! The point of a double pivot is to allow the fullbacks to push up in a possession based system. In a counter attacking system it's to keep the wingers high. The DM's move side to side between the central DM position (to portect the back two) and out to the flank (to cover the fullback, and / or support the fullback).

I personally would go for a midfielder adept at winning the ball (as well as accomplished with the ball) that is comfortable in DM or B2B. This is why Bissouma and Phillip for me would be ideal. I rate Bissouma ahead of Phillips personally.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

This is wrong. Gerrard played with a double pivot at times at Rangers. He has deviated from the two tens already, by playing 4-4-2 diamond. A double pivot provides better cover for the fullbacks then getting the 8's to track back. We have seen what happens when our 8's get penned back! The point of a double pivot is to allow the fullbacks to push up in a possession based system. In a counter attacking system it's to keep the wingers high. The DM's move side to side between the central DM position (to portect the back two) and out to the flank (to cover the fullback, and / or support the fullback).

I personally would go for a midfielder adept at winning the ball (as well as accomplished with the ball) that is comfortable in DM or B2B. This is why Bissouma and Phillip for me would be ideal. I rate Bissouma ahead of Phillips personally.

Not sure which poster it is who keeps mentioning this, but I agree with them.

A 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 would probably get the best out of our squad and attributes.

We could have that solidity through the middle and still give our flair players a chance to shine.

The only issue is then of course, which striker gets benched.

Rotation between the 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 and 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 is the way forward IMO.

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

I’d go for Gabriel Jesus if i was Gerard. Think he is wanting to go to London though and probably wanting crazy wages.

If we were to sign a forward, he would be my first choice as well, probably unrealistic though.

Arsenal want him as well.

Only way something like that happens is if one of our forwards/strikers moves for big money I feel.

35 minutes ago, Awol said:

Agree, our starting mid three right now would be McGinn  - Kamara - Ramsey (imo), and it's very possible we sign another player in this window who displaces SJM or JJ as a starter.

Yep agreed. If we end up with, say, Bissouma, then I think that puts pressure on McGinn. I get the impression Ramsey is going nowhere from that starting 11. He'll be even better/more dangerous next season. All good for us though as they'll all get their chance especially with 5 substitutes next season and you would presume he'll go for the cups.

• Like 2