Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure which poster it is who keeps mentioning this, but I agree with them.

A 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 would probably get the best out of our squad and attributes.

We could have that solidity through the middle and still give our flair players a chance to shine.

The only issue is then of course, which striker gets benched.

Rotation between the 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 and 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 is the way forward IMO.

We could play a 4-2-2-2, we have plenty of Brazilians now 🤣

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yep agreed. If we end up with, say, Bissouma, then I think that puts pressure on McGinn. I get the impression Ramsey is going nowhere from that starting 11. He'll be even better/more dangerous next season. All good for us though as they'll all get their chance especially with 5 substitutes next season and you would presume he'll go for the cups.

Yeah I'm not entertaining dropping JJ for anyone as things stand.

I can only see him going from strength to strength.

I've always said if anything, he replaces McGinn in the squad medium - long term 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I’d go for Gabriel Jesus if i was Gerard. Think he is wanting to go to London though and probably wanting crazy wages.

I like him, he can play on the right of a 3 also , we could even play him and watkins as two wide strikers. The problem with Jesus is like Watkins he isn't the most clinical in front of goal.

54 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

This is wrong. Gerrard played with a double pivot at times at Rangers. He has deviated from the two tens already, by playing 4-4-2 diamond. A double pivot provides better cover for the fullbacks then getting the 8's to track back. We have seen what happens when our 8's get penned back! The point of a double pivot is to allow the fullbacks to push up in a possession based system. In a counter attacking system it's to keep the wingers high. The DM's move side to side between the central DM position (to portect the back two) and out to the flank (to cover the fullback, and / or support the fullback).

I personally would go for a midfielder adept at winning the ball (as well as accomplished with the ball) that is comfortable in DM or B2B. This is why Bissouma and Phillip for me would be ideal. I rate Bissouma ahead of Phillips personally.

This is incorrect. If the double pivot cover the fullbacks who is covering the centre? You need the three man Midfield relatively flat forbthe way Gerrard plays with the fullbacks. 

By playing a double pivot with a 10 in front and wide forwards we end up with a 2 2 6 attacking shape. When the 4 2 3 1 works by the steering wheel approach to fullbacks. One stays back and the two pivots shuffle over to cover for the other fullback who is far forward. The wide forward holds the width one one side.

Gerrard won't make this change to how our fullbacks play as it requires wide forwards. It's too big a departure from everything he's done so far in charge of Villa. 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This is incorrect. If the double pivot cover the fullbacks who is covering the centre? You need the three man Midfield relatively flat forbthe way Gerrard plays with the fullbacks. 

Won't the third midfielder provide some cover if both CDMs slot into the full back positions? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Another DM is more important than any other position that we need to recruit for. 2 defensively astute midfielders was the highest priority this Summer above all else and that won't change for me. We got off to a great start with the Kamara deal. 

Would be typical villa if we just signed the one.

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Won't the third midfielder provide some cover if both CDMs slot into the full back positions? 

If it's a 3 man midfield yes. If there is 10 in front of them who is meant to be an attacking player then he cant as he's part of the attack. It's about you shape in attack. Majority of teams operate a 6 /4 or 5 / 5/ Defence / Attack when in possession and attacking opposition half. 

We play a 5 / 5 and are 2 3 5 in attack. With the front 3 and two full backs as part of the attacking 5. City for example have a 2 3 5 also but they have their fullbacks tuck into midfield and their 8s work in half spaces in attack etc..

So if we play a double pivot and keep our 2 full backs always as part of the attack we're a 2 2 6. If we want a 2 3 5 we need to keep one full back from getting too far forward and essentially joining the midfield and the two 6s move left to right depending on which full back is attacking. At no point is the 10 ever in the defensive picture when we are attacking. 

I think playing a 4 2 3 1 with double pivot requires us to have wide forwards to hold the width on one side and a full back on the other. This hinders our success story of the season which is Digne / Cash being excellent in attack. It also means we need wide forwards which is a big departure from our transfer strategy. For this reason we'll always play with a 3 man central midfield in every game with one or two 10s ahead of them. 

It's why a Bissouma joining for example works alongside Kamara. They both can play in that 3 man midfield

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

By playing a double pivot with a 10 in front and wide forwards we end up with a 2 2 6 attacking shape. When the 4 2 3 1 works by the steering wheel approach to fullbacks. One stays back and the two pivots shuffle over to cover for the other fullback who is far forward. The wide forward holds the width one one side.

Gerrard won't make this change to how our fullbacks play as it requires wide forwards. It's too big a departure from everything he's done so far in charge of Villa. 

I see your point however the double pivot is still better than the 8's covering the fullbacks. Whether it's full backs or wing backs, two at CB or 3, fullback are only supposed to overlap one at a time. Both fullback going for the overlap at the same isn't part of the plan the only small exception is (other than when chasing a game) is when switching play from one wing to the other there is a few second where one fullback is flying forward and the other has to retreat (it's in this swictch of the play where keep possession is especially important). If we have Buendia in the team the flank he is on will get decent protect from him too. Also when playing on the front foot and looking to dominate opponents, teams generally only have four players back at the most. 5 players back is conservative, and 6 players back is defensive. 

Also if you play with two wide creator 10's (Coutinho and Buendia) you need runners arround them. So your man in the middle 10 position needs to be playing as a shadow striker (Ramsey would thrive in this role), and your fullback have to overlap to provide the wide 10's with good passing options.

Personally I prefer a 3 with one sitting, with the two 8's taking turns to get in and around the box as this makes the attacking play less predictable, however I like the idea of one of the 8's less inclined to get forward and more focused on ball winning as you don't get the mix up's between the two 8's of when to go and when to stay. Particularly when you expect to have less possession or the opposition is particularly threatening on the counter.