Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

16 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

No chance of a top 10 finish if this is the case.

To be fair, we were only 6 points off a top 10 finish, in a season where we had multiple destabilising factors before and during the season.

A few games which should have been draws/wins instead of losses and draws etc 

Which we really messed up by fine margins.... The couple of signings we have made actually go a long way in bridging those margins IMO.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its a financially doped league yes but last time I checked no English teams won any of the 3 Euro trophies which is an indication of league strength 

It's comfortably the best league in the World in terms of depth of quality.  Comfortably.

And yes, it's because of the money.

• Like 3

Just now, bobzy said:

It's comfortably the best league in the World in terms of depth of quality.  Comfortably.

And yes, it's because of the money.

Outside of Liverpool and City its really not great, Chelsea are probably the most consistent English team in Europe over last decade but that run looks like its coming to an end. United or Arsenal of the famous Sky 6 would struggle to get past the group stages in the Champions League. Spurs struggled in the conference league last season 😂

As for depth except Leicester league win the last non Sky 6 team to qualify from the league was Everton in 2005. Doesn't say great depth to me 

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, we were only 6 points off a top 10 finish, in a season where we had multiple destabilising factors before and during the season.

A few games which should have been draws/wins instead of losses and draws etc 

Which we really messed up by fine margins.... The couple of signings we have made actually go a long way in bridging those margins IMO.

Agreed, the signings we have made will make us harder to beat and have added more physicality. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Love the humility......

Not sure if just self confident.... Or deluded?

FB_IMG_1656324795711-min.jpg

Good to be confident in your own ability but I'm not even sure he's in the top 10!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

not much going on according to ash preece. sounds like we want a new LB but that's it unless we sell players.

I think the heat has gone off....due to the early window success.

a few out goings and phase 2 will resume.

• Like 3

I get that CB is no longer a priority for us but I'd still love for us to steal William Saliba from Arsenal if he's not interested in signing a new deal for them. Think he's great and will only get better.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Outside of Liverpool and City its really not great, Chelsea are probably the most consistent English team in Europe over last decade but that run looks like its coming to an end. United or Arsenal of the famous Sky 6 would struggle to get past the group stages in the Champions League. Spurs struggled in the conference league last season 😂

As for depth except Leicester league win the last non Sky 6 team to qualify from the league was Everton in 2005. Doesn't say great depth to me 

Name me a better league - in your opinion - which isn't dominated by 2 or 3 teams?

I'm not entirely sure why you're so fixated on Europe, but I'd imagine England has had more CL semi-finalists and onwards over the last, say, 10 seasons than any other country.  Spain would be the only ones to run them close - and even with Real Madrid performing heroics last season, Man City and Liverpool are better sides.  I'd argue they're the two best sides in World football.

Edit:  In fairness, I've checked and Spain outperform England - but with two sides.  Real Madrid and Barcelona have reached the semis onwards 13 times in the last 10 seasons.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the heat has gone off....due to the early window success.

a few out goings and phase 2 will resume.

it sounds like a few players are proving difficult to shift

forest have just bought a better striker than davis and think that was his only realistic destination, at least on a permanent basis.

no one wants el ghazi and loaning him to everton is proving to be a really **** stupid mistake...we'd have got 15m for him last summer.

might get a couple of mil for guilbert from a lower league french team and sanson might get us 5m from a turkish side (for that money i'd rather just keep him)

I think we'll have that back-up left back role in before that flight to Australia. The run on left backs in this market is going to start soon, most likely with Cucurella's move to City and the knock on effects with Brighton looking in the same market range as us.

Will likely see further news on non-first eleven outgoings (Trezeguet, El Ghazi) and perhaps Douglas Luiz also moving on in the same period - the next two weeks.

I think moves for another central midfielder wont happen until we're back from Australia. It'll only be before if we lose both Sanson and Luiz. If any move is made for a striker I think it will be an opportunist move for someone like Jonathan David towards the very end of the window. Think Gerrard is going to give Cameron Archer a good look during pre-season, but remember Archer is currently with the National Side, so wont be back for pre-season until mid/late July anyway.

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't think signing one player will make the difference (unless they are a one in a generation talent like Maradona). Besides, I don't think Osimhen is any better then Coutinho so I guess it neutralises their advantage 😉

Very difficult to compare Coutinho and Osimhen. The latter is a goalscorer and I would be surprised if he wasn’t successful if he moved to the PL. I would certainly prefer him in our squad to either Watkins or Ings.

However, to your point, he alone wouldn’t make a huge different to Newcastle.

31 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Love the humility......

Wow, what a bellend. Yeah, you're not in the top 10 mate. Not even close 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Love the humility......

Hopefully nobody signs Haidara or Camara.  He won't even be the best Malian midfielder in the league then.

EDIT: Maybe he's just been reading VT. I mean that would lead anyone to believe that Bissouma is the best midfielder ever.

Edited by sparrow1988

8 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Interesting I've seen that he can play as a CM at times but mainly a winger/attacking mid? 

He's Brazilian but has opted to play for Portugal instead too so he should have no problems fitting in with some of the players!

• Like 1