Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Struggling to think of a better quality league in the world than the Premier League.  Arguably the two best club teams in the world at the moment despite not winning the Champions League and then even us as an example at 14th, yes 14th in the league has massive quality throughout it's squad and rich owners.  I cant think of any other league that has some of the best teams in the world and still have massive quality teams at 14th in the league.  Of course the Premier League is overhyped but it's the best league in the world on a number of factors including quality.

Its a financially doped league yes but last time I checked no English teams won any of the 3 Euro trophies which is an indication of league strength 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Newcastle linked to Osimhen at Napoli, although the player is said to prefer a club in the Champions League. If Newcastle do sign him it’ll certainly make our attempts to get into Europe that bit more difficult.

I’m still intrigued as to who we are going to sign as the links have properly dried up over the last week.

I don't think signing one player will make the difference (unless they are a one in a generation talent like Maradona). Besides, I don't think Osimhen is any better then Coutinho so I guess it neutralises their advantage 😉

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Struggling to think of a better quality league in the world than the Premier League.  Arguably the two best club teams in the world at the moment despite not winning the Champions League and then even us as an example at 14th, yes 14th in the league has massive quality throughout it's squad and rich owners.  I cant think of any other league that has some of the best teams in the world and still have massive quality teams at 14th in the league.  Of course the Premier League is overhyped but it's the best league in the world on a number of factors including quality.

I think 14th was not representative of the whole team.....I think it was representative of a small portion of it.

but hey ho!......thats the effect that it has overall.

With the signings we have made already, assuming at the start of last season.....I don't think we would have finished 14th.

Edited by TRO

15 hours ago, macandally said:

Quite possibly the craziest post I have ever read! 😂

Why so? We’re talking about a player who played a role in getting West Ham to exactly where Villa want to be over the last two seasons with 6th and 7th place finishes.

Where did Villa finish in the same period?

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have seen nothing from our transfer business, to prompt the word " complacent"......sure we have further plans.....but I would be more inclined to say " Contented "

We was quick out of the blocks, which is a change of culture for us....bravo ,I say.

nigh on £50 mill spent before the window had officially opened, whats complacent about that?

i knew this would happen. i even joked about it at the time. people forget we've already signed 4 players which is still more than most PL teams!

people need to consider logistics involved with buying a player from a non english team. finding a house, car, school for kids. now try doing that when you're due in training immediately with the new season around the corner.

our new lads get to sort all of that well before they're due in for pre season and therefore can hit the ground running. it's the polar opposite of complacent!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its a financially doped league yes but last time I checked no English teams won any of the 3 Euro trophies which is an indication of league strength 

I think having 2 teams from the Premier League in the champions league semi final (1 of which reached the final), 1 in the europa league SF and another in the europa conference SF indicate a reasonably strong league to me. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i knew this would happen. i even joked about it at the time. people forget we've already signed 4 players which is still more than most PL teams!

people need to consider logistics involved with buying a player from a non english team. finding a house, car, school for kids. now try doing that when you're due in training immediately with the new season around the corner.

our new lads get to sort all of that well before they're due in for pre season and therefore can hit the ground running. it's the polar opposite of complacent!

You are bang on.

I think we would be gobsmacked, as to how much work goes in to running a Football club, like ours......its a big organisation and the details would blow our socks off.

We just touch on a small section of the whole thing, that interests us.....We need to remind ourselves, at times, of the enormity of whats involved in its function.

Edited by TRO

17 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't think signing one player will make the difference (unless they are a one in a generation talent like Maradona). Besides, I don't think Osimhen is any better then Coutinho so I guess it neutralises their advantage 😉

you are right......Teams win games.....not necessarily an assembly of good players, ( That just gives you a chance, of forming a good team)

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is it though? If Rangers had won the Europa League would that have tipped the balance a little in favour of the SPL?

Of the last five Champions League Finals the finalists have been: England (6—and four different teams in that 6), Spain (2—both Real), France (1—obviously PSG), Germany (1—obviously Bayern).

Of the last five Europa League Finals the finalists have been: England (3—all different), Spain (3—all different), Italy, Germany, France and Scotland 1 each.

I'm not really saying anything other than what you said doesn't make sense. There's more money in the prem than anywhere else, and that makes a difference. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing these mega rich clubs dominating everything. The lesser teams throw a lot of money around in England too. And as mentioned, there are a lot of English semi finalists in these competitions too.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

not much going on according to ash preece. sounds like we want a new LB but that's it unless we sell players.

No chance of a top 10 finish if this is the case.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I think having 2 teams from the Premier League in the champions league semi final (1 of which reached the final), 1 in the europa league SF and another in the europa conference SF indicate a reasonably strong league to me. 

With the money in the Premier League English teams should really be winning every European trophy available 

West Ham budget is ridiculous compared to Frankfurt and Rangers 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

With the money in the Premier League English teams should really be winning every European trophy available 

West Ham might have more expensive players, but they don't have the squad to compete on multiple fronts especially playing on a Thursday night and then again at the weekend.  Rangers play in a 2 team league and Frankfurt finished 11th in Bundesliga so could say their priorities lay in the Europa League. 

1 minute ago, striker said:

See my above post while Soucek was constantly mentioned by pundits as being a very good player in season 20-21. Last season he’s apparently had a major fall out with the manager which can happen.

Statistics can be very misleading as there are so many variables to each stat. We’ve all seen how moneyball systems can fall flat on it’s face!

I tend to judge players with my eyes and Soucek is the type of powerful physical midfield player Villa have been lacking.

I judge players with my eyes too, but in Soucek I see someone who has been pretty average during the last season and is still living off a decent spell at the start of his PL career which gave him a good reputation. The stats that I posted back up the opinion that was formed with my eyes.

The goal that Frankfurt scored at the London Stadium in the first leg of the semi final was comical defending of a 1-2 by him and Rice. It was like it was the first time that they ever saw a 1-2. Soucek and Rice are both overrated as DM's because they play as part of a very compact, low-risk system. In the same way that a lot players from system teams, be it attacking or defending, fall flat on their face after making a transfer. Soucek is to Moyes' West Ham what Fellaini was to Moyes' Everton essentially. Effective in that system but will get found out elsewhere.

• Like 1

I think it is reasonable to assume, we need to off load a few, before incomings resume.

Thats the balancing act.

• Team Strengthening first.....players bought
  • Financial balancing....players sold....wage bill reduced.
  • Further team strengthening....players bought.

I suspect thats how it works.

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Knockout football is unpredictable. Man City would win everything if it came down to the biggest transfer spend and lower league teams would never beat Premier league clubs in Cup competitions. 

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think it is reasonable to assume, we need to off load a few, before incomings resume.

Thats the balancing act.

• Team Strengthening first.....players bought
  • Financial balancing....players sold....wage bill reduced.
  • Further team strengthening....players bought.

I suspect thats how it works.

I think July will see lots of transfer action - many players and managers are away and from next week we will see far more movement transfer wise as clubs return 

• Like 1