Lucas Digne

villan-scott

1 minute ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

Yes, I always used to take my armchair into Bodymoor every day when I was a physio at Villa.

Ah yes I remember you now from my days as the clubs dietician. Wasn’t just you I was commenting on btw.

Edited by Ingram85

10 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Wasn’t just you I was commenting on btw.

Sorry - I think you added this bit later. Ok, sorry, perhaps I did take it a bit personally but I find people on here always assume people are bull****ers and don't know what they are talking about without ever considering that they might do.

To be fair, I do bulls*** sometimes. I don't think Villa even had a dietician when I was there. But Savo and Sasa did tell me that mad fact.

Edited by Deano & Dalian's Umbrella
  • Like 1

My ex-roommate and very close friend is a physio for one of the URC rugby teams, i.e. one of the biggest rugby union franchises in the world. He is an expert in knee injuries and we routinely talk about how they come about in football because  ligament damage is generally ubiquitous in rugby whereas it's a sporadic injury in football owing to the different levels of physicality etc. One of his major bugbears is conditioning, he says professional footballers are over-conditioned compared to a lot of other team sport athletes,  particularly in preseason, and this is why so many season-long injuries occur earlier rather than later in seasons.

So that's where I'm getting my fixation on our strength & conditioning coaches from, it's not just idle speculation, but even if it were, doesn't take a genius to think we should take a look at our regimen and make sure it's fit for purpose.

Edited by est1874

15 hours ago, AV82 said:

I imagine Digne's injury, along with Kamara's and Carlos' will be the perfect excuse when we continue our poor form and Gerrard needs to save face.

He can’t use it as an excuse because this is football and the whole point of a squad is to mitigate this kind of thing. But surely the most ardent ‘Gerrard out’ supporter has to admit it’s pretty shit luck for any manager.

53 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He can’t use it as an excuse because this is football and the whole point of a squad is to mitigate this kind of thing. But surely the most ardent ‘Gerrard out’ supporter has to admit it’s pretty shit luck for any manager.

Mid table teams like us cant truly mitigate injuries to star signings. It is absolutely wretched luck and will mean SG will have to somehow get the team to graft out results maybe not in the style he wants.  Fortunately the international break and world Cup buys us a bit of time. Still the bigger concern for me is scoring goals! 

18 hours ago, est1874 said:

My ex-roommate and very close friend is a physio for one of the URC rugby teams, i.e. one of the biggest rugby union franchises in the world. He is an expert in knee injuries and we routinely talk about how they come about in football because  ligament damage is generally ubiquitous in rugby whereas it's a sporadic injury in football owing to the different levels of physicality etc. One of his major bugbears is conditioning, he says professional footballers are over-conditioned compared to a lot of other team sport athletes,  particularly in preseason, and this is why so many season-long injuries occur earlier rather than later in seasons.

So that's where I'm getting my fixation on our strength & conditioning coaches from, it's not just idle speculation, but even if it were, doesn't take a genius to think we should take a look at our regimen and make sure it's fit for purpose.

That's nice. Our Head of Sport Medicine and Science is Dr Ricky Shame, a consultant in Sport and Exercise Medicine at the Centre for Musculoskeletal Medicine, Royal Orthopaedic Hospital. Our Head Physio Alan Smith has been at the club for 22 years. On top of that we have a Head of Fitness and Conditioning, a Physical Performance Scientist, a Strength and Condtioning Coach, Physical Performance Coach and Head of Nutrition, and three more qualified sports physios. But here's the thing, they're all rubbish, aren't doing their jobs properly, and the injuries our players have suffered are their fault and not down to random challenges going awry.

22 hours ago, est1874 said:

At the risk of being a d*** - surely the reason why injuries that occur in March / April aren't considered "season long injuries" is because most of the season has already been completed and the player has a 4-5 month window to recover from the injury before the next season starts and so it is highly unlikely that they will miss the rest of the following season?  And if you get injured in November and are out for 6 months then people are likely to describe it as "season ending" whereas if someone gets injured in April and is also out for 6 months then people would be more focused on the fact that "he is likely to miss the start of next season" rather than focus on the fact that it is "season ending". 

I would be interested to see whether there is any pattern whatsoever in terms of when long-term injuries are picked up.  I mean early season makes sense as players are potentially putting their bodies under stress after a bit of a hiatus.  I also suspect that a higher percentage of players are trying to make their mark at the start of the season - both in terms of cementing first team positions and maybe club's expectations of "challenging" that season.  Then by April / May time - half the clubs have little or nothing to play for and a similar percentage of players have resigned themselves to spending the rest of the season on the bench.  I suspect that there are also lots of injuries picked up later in the season as players become more tired / their bodies ground down by 6 or 7 months of intense performance.

Isn't the issue with ACLs though more about the angle and type of collision / contact rather than someone's physical condition?  I know when I did my knee ligaments it was because I was trying to kick the ball in one direction - the attacker closing me down was trying to kick the ball in a different direction and so when I got to the ball before him - the bottom half of my leg then went at 90 degrees to its expected plane of movement (and the rest of me).  In which case it is the knee that is bearing all of that stress / pressure.  Whereas in rugby most tackles are made above the knee and the whole body moves in contact (rather than just the foot) - meaning that the knee is not the primary point of weakness.  In which case it would seem that the primary difference is in the type of contact rather than the conditioning of the people involved?  In much the same way as I would expect that there are much more shoulder injuries in rugby than there are in football.  I am no expert on this so more than happy to be corrected by someone who knows more about the subject.

23 hours ago, AV82 said:

I imagine Digne's injury, along with Kamara's and Carlos' will be the perfect excuse when we continue our poor form and Gerrard needs to save face.

Not really the fans won't fall for that one.

We saw what we were capable of under him with all of them playing.

A 2 - 0 loss to Bournemouth.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Apart from Kamara we are also buying older players which I guess makes injuries more likely?  That could just be a speculative guess though.

DC had missed 8 games in his entire career through injury prior to joining us. It’s nothing to do with age, just bad luck. 

Edited by WHY

11 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

He’s not wearing any protective boot or extra strapping in the team photo released today, so surely a good sign.

That would have been taken weeks ago but the above article is good news at least for competition of places. 

On 22/09/2022 at 17:54, est1874 said:

Do you and your friend get many party invitations? 🤓

On 22/09/2022 at 08:54, est1874 said:

... are over-conditioned compared to a lot of other team sport athletes,  particularly in preseason, and this is why so many season-long injuries occur earlier rather than later in seasons.

... now I know why I did in my ACL at the age of 36.

• 4 weeks later...
Â