Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

6 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I was hoping he would fight for his place 

The truth is we don’t know. He may want to or he may not. Unai may or may not have plans for him. It’s really hard to assess him given that the last bloke made almost every member of the squad worse than they actually are. Let’s face it he could make Messi and MBappe look like Laurel and Hardy. 

I think this is a lesson not to try and get overpriced players, especially who doesn’t have resale value. Even if he was ok, he isn’t worth what we’re paying for him. Could be spent much better. Let’s hope him the best annyway. Wether it was with us or going elsewhere.

13 hours ago, DCJonah said:

This is looking a bit of a disaster.

I wouldn’t say disaster, it was a chance to pick up a fallen star with the hopes of rekindling that. It started well but faded quickly and while his wages are high, his fee wasn’t really and we’ll likely get a half decent fee if we sell him.  It was an opportunity worth taking even in the summer without financial disaster and if he does move back to Brazil then both sides come out it relatively unharmed.

If it had worked it would’ve been transformative for us, but sadly so far it hasn’t but those early days it looked like it would be.  He could still do it under Emery because we know a lot of players didn’t perform under Gerrard and if he isn’t sold in January and Emery wants to utilise him I’m giving Coutinho a chance like all players under a proper coach which they haven’t have.  If he goes, then it’s sad but was worth a try, and wasn’t a financial disaster imo.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dale said:

Will Corinthians pay us £20M and pay his salary? If so, cheerio... You can't join a club and then six months later be gone because it's not as cushty as you expected. 

Think we would be happy to get the wages off the books. Hopefully the transfer fee included clauses so we didn't pay in full

Was always a vain signing by the club when they went all win with mr personality as manager

don't barca get 50% of future fees? so we wouldn't get much for him

i'd be disappointed to give up on him. i still remember that southampton home game. possibly the best, most complete individual performance i've ever seen by a player in a villa shirt

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, calcifer said:

What a waste of money if this is the case, typical Villa. We drop lucky with the odd transfer but mostly we do this...

spacer.png

Martinez

Mings

Cash

Kamara

Luiz

McGinn (despite what people think of him we paid little for him)

I could keep going on but I reckon we are on par with most clubs with hits and misses…

• Like 2

Wasn't this deal surprisingly cheap, we only paid £17m for him and he took a big pay cut.

If ihe leaves in January then it won't have cost much presuming we won't be having to pay his wages once he's left, plus he will have helped raise the profile of the club, he probably helped us attract other high profile players to the club in the summer, and in turn those players might have helped us to attract Emery.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Wasn't this deal surprisingly cheap, we only paid £17m for him and he took a big pay cut.

If ihe leaves in January then it won't have cost much presuming we won't be having to pay his wages once he's left, plus he will have helped raise the profile of the club, he probably helped us attract other high profile players to the club in the summer, and in turn those players might have helped us to attract Emery.

He took a pay cut but got a 4 year contract instead of 3 to cover lost funds

We will be paying him off unless he really wants to go home

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I wouldn’t say disaster, it was a chance to pick up a fallen star with the hopes of rekindling that. It started well but faded quickly and while his wages are high, his fee wasn’t really and we’ll likely get a half decent fee if we sell him.  It was an opportunity worth taking even in the summer without financial disaster and if he does move back to Brazil then both sides come out it relatively unharmed.

If it had worked it would’ve been transformative for us, but sadly so far it hasn’t but those early days it looked like it would be.  He could still do it under Emery because we know a lot of players didn’t perform under Gerrard and if he isn’t sold in January and Emery wants to utilise him I’m giving Coutinho a chance like all players under a proper coach which they haven’t have.  If he goes, then it’s sad but was worth a try, and wasn’t a financial disaster imo.

The signing of Coutinho was always a coup; it seems like it just won't work out with all the noise around him just now.

Perhaps Coutinho is not right for an Emery team but there is no denying his talent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The signing of Coutinho was always a coup; it seems like it just won't work out with all the noise around him just now.

Perhaps Coutinho is not right for an Emery team but there is no denying his talent.

I dont think it was. He wasnt wanted by anybody else and now he is linked with a team back home

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think it was. He wasnt wanted by anybody else and now he is linked with a team back home

I meant in respect to his name and how that also creates a buzz with fans.

At the time it seemed like a statement signing however it now appears he may be past his best.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

eh? there were loads of teams in for him. reputable journos said that there were plenty of offers on the table when we took him on loan but he wanted to play for gerrard.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

eh? there were loads of teams in for him. reputable journos said that there were plenty of offers on the table when we took him on loan but he wanted to play for gerrard.

I dont believe that for a second. We were the only team stupid enough to pay for him and it was pointed out at the time on here

Was lazy links to Newcastle and Spurs(him and Conte the perfect match)

On 17/11/2022 at 12:59, Stevo985 said:

I'd like to see him given a chance under the new manager but I have a sneaky suspicion we've seen the last of him in a Villa shirt

Called it.

Disaster of a signing in the end.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Remember how we would never sign him and he’d go to Newcastle instead? The idea that nobody wanted Phil is laughably untrue. It’s just used to make some anti-Gerrard statement. I wish some would learn to let that go (not aimed at you btw, just generally speaking). 

• Like 1

Â