Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Called it.

Disaster of a signing in the end.

Was it? The signing massively boosted our profile. And despite the huge limitations of Gerrard’s tactics still came up with some crucial goals, robbed of a potential match winner against City due to some terrible officiating. He’s not always been the brightest but he’s just as a big of a victim of the previous manager as any. For £17m I would not call him a flop at all. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 3

Just now, The_Steve said:

Was it? The signing massively boasted our profile. And despite the huge limitations of Gerrard’s tactics still came up with some crucial goals, robbed of a potential match winner against City due to some terrible officiating. He’s not always been the brightest but he’s just as a big of a victim of the previous manager as any. For £17m I would not call him a flop at all. 

He's a victim of the previous manager for sure, which is why i said I'd like to see him given a chance under the new manager. There is talent there. I just don't think he's interested in playing for Villa without Gerrard here.

Given the expectations we had for him, he absolutely is a flop if he ends up going in jan

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

He's a victim of the previous manager for sure, which is why i said I'd like to see him given a chance under the new manager. There is talent there. I just don't think he's interested in playing for Villa without Gerrard here.

Given the expectations we had for him, he absolutely is a flop if he ends up going in jan

I still slightly disagree on the flop part, I think it would be wasted possibilities if he does leave so I agree with that part. But if it works for both parties, I’m not against it. I’d like him to stay and prove some of the doubters wrong. 

Is there any substance whatsoever to the rumours. Ive not seen anything suggesting he wants to leave - he looked happy enough at the childrens hospital earlier. Is this just lazy assumptions that because his so called mate Gerrard has gone that he's not interested any more?  

• Like 2

He's got the feet, remains to be seen whether he can be arsed. If he can't then he can **** off to China or some other money filled minor league. 

He clearly took a big pay cut to come here and play though and when he's fit he'll get a chance in a much more well functioning team that should suit him if he's prepared to put a shift in. By no means a lost cause yet at all. Up to him to make the most of his talent otherwise the decision to take a pay cut to come and play looks very odd as he could have cashed in big time elsewhere in the world if he really can't be arsed to try and fulfil his potential.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We have no idea as he almost immediately got injured and we have had a 6 week mid season break.

34 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Remember how we would never sign him and he’d go to Newcastle instead? The idea that nobody wanted Phil is laughably untrue. It’s just used to make some anti-Gerrard statement. I wish some would learn to let that go (not aimed at you btw, just generally speaking). 

Yet Newcastle have not signed one player matching the profile of Coutinho. Bale was also highly linked to teams with money and plays MLS now

Was media guff which is funny since any rumour you shout down because of a poor journo

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He may or may not leave but people calling him a flop. LOL. 

He was brilliant at times last season and most people on here were desperate to sign him in the Summer. Now, after a few poor performances under a manager where everybody was performing poorly, he’s this massive flop.

Laughable. He’s better than Buendia. Whether or not he has the drive now Gerrard has left, is another matter. 

He gets a rough ride but you compare him to Bailey (£30m) and Buendia (£38m), he really isn’t a flop. Bailey was woeful for his first 12 months (albeit showing signs of improvement) and Buendia continues to put in average performances. 

Some of the comments on here are daft. I hope he comes back and shuts you all up. 

Nobody is saying he's a flop if he ends up getting back to his best and performing. I really hope that's what happens. Gerrard ruined everyone.

I've just always had a feeling he'd leave once Gerrard left and now there are rumours suggesting the same. Just after he conveniently got injured until January.

IF he ends up leaving in january without playing for us again, especially if we have to pay him off, then I don't see how he can be anything but a flop. He was good last season. But he was a loan. Since we signed him permanently he's been poor.

• Like 1

Would just be immensely surprised if he stayed. Was hand picked by the last manager and is nowhere near a fit for any of the positions in UE's 4222.

But if he did stay, I would really only see him as a sub when we're bogged down against a team in a low block.

10 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Would just be immensely surprised if he stayed. Was hand picked by the last manager and is nowhere near a fit for any of the positions in UE's 4222.

But if he did stay, I would really only see him as a sub when we're bogged down against a team in a low block.

I think he could play off the left in the system with JJ or McGinn on Right and Bailey and Watkins up top. 

Just depends on if he has an opportunity to go to Brazil and wants to take it. Especially if we signed another wide player in January there's more competition 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He may or may not leave but people calling him a flop. LOL. 

He was brilliant at times last season and most people on here were desperate to sign him in the Summer. Now, after a few poor performances under a manager where everybody was performing poorly, he’s this massive flop.

Laughable. He’s better than Buendia. Whether or not he has the drive now Gerrard has left, is another matter. 

He gets a rough ride but you compare him to Bailey (£30m) and Buendia (£38m), he really isn’t a flop. Bailey was woeful for his first 12 months (albeit showing signs of improvement) and Buendia continues to put in average performances. 

Some of the comments on here are daft. I hope he comes back and shuts you all up. 

Much better than Buendia

6 minutes ago, Lupinthe5th said:

Much better than Buendia

I wouldn't say he's much better than Buendia, their stats are quite similar. 

There is not much to separate them, but for some reason Coutinho is demonized on here, whereas any criticism of Buendia is blasphemous. 

• Like 2

The lesson we must learn from this is not about the player. We must never let a manager completely change the direction of the squad the way we allowed Gerrard to, you didn't have to be Nostradamus to see this disaster coming.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

"Called it". Like it's now a nailed on cert. 

This forum is absolutely brilliant.

When did I say it was a nailed on cert. It was just a short way of saying this is what I and others predicted what would happen.

I've already said I'd far rather he stayed and turned things around under the new manager.

What exactly is the issue?

He gave us a few glimpses of the brilliance he can produce but ultimately has been a bit of a let down. 

I've watched a lot of games, where he ambles about doing nothing. He's at the wrong end of a good career to need to prove himself and will probably suit the MLS or some Arabian League where he'd stand out a mile without putting the graft in. 

We won't be getting much of a fee I'd have thought but hopefully we've learnt a lesson with this signing. 

Aston Villa Football Club need this to work as much as the player himself.

We need to be seen as a club where stars can resurrect their careers, not as a club for them to absolutely be finished off.

Gotta give him a chance, and I would be delighted if he manages to turn this around.

Â