Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I think he'll play a part. 

He looked better than Buendia or Bailey today. 

That’s because he is. 

We’ll get one more forward player in and it’ll be Watkins, Diaby, New as the front 3 (dependent on formation) with Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and JPB fighting it out.

If anyone came in with a decent offer for Buendia, Coutinho or Bailey, I’d still sell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I think he'll play a part. 

He looked better than Buendia or Bailey today. 

You can't play a part if you're constantly on the treatment table like he was for last 5 years. Let it go, he's not coming back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I think he will end up terminating his contract and finishing his career in Brazil. He is the type of bloke to make a decision based on happiness rather than money . I dont think we will have to pay it all up either. His pride will come into play  

Really? The only reason he came here was the four  year retirement plan. Not his fault, just the club's utter stupidity.

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 hours ago, AV82 said:

Technique is there but he just isn't quick enough or strong enough. Saudi's should be all over this.

Not sure how physical his probs are to be honest, and the technique isn't just there he has more natural talent than most people who have ever played top flight football. After Liverpool he just hasn't seemed that arsed when things don't go his way. In the brief flashes since he's been here (esp on loan to try and win the contract) he didn't look slow or weak. 

He looked like a footballer that hasn't played football in a long time.

This is effectively the beginning of his pre season, and got some minutes into the legs.

I'd expect to see more of him against Lazio.

• Like 1

No one was negative when coutinho was putting in those early performances nor when he was just getting into form in the arsenal game. These show that he still has something to offer and isn't finished as some say. His main problem is staying fit. IF he can do that then he will be good to have in the squad.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

No one was negative when coutinho was putting in those early performances nor when he was just getting into form in the arsenal game. These show that he still has something to offer and isn't finished as some say. His main problem is staying fit. IF he can do that then he will be good to have in the squad.

The problem is that he can't just be - ‘stay fit and good to have in the squad’. At £125k per week he needs to be flipping fantastic. 

Not his fault of course, but just what the requirement is from the club to be considered a success.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

On 31/07/2023 at 17:18, grantholtgolazo said:

125k per week is not a huge outlay for a top team, I agree he needs to play well but the endless gnashing of teeth over weekly wages is tiresome, especially viewed in context of majority of teams we need to overtake 

We are not a top team in terms of wages though and we never will be.

In our wage structure he is one of the top 3 earners and I would expect him to perform like that. Not just to be a bit part player like some people here are suggesting.

If he can't deliver that (due to injuries or whatever else), we need to try to get rid of him.

• Like 1

Still seems really odd the Saudi's havent come in for him. Given the blue print of players they are targeting he seems like a very obvious target. 

So either we have made it clear we want to keep him or he has made it clear he doesnt want to live there. Probably the latter. 

He's looked a little bit quicker to me in pre season. Still not really done anything. Here's hoping Unai can rejuvenate him. 

Edited by villaglint

19 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Still seems really odd the Saudi's havent come in for him. Given the blue print of players they are targeting he seems like a very obvious target. 

So either we have made it clear we want to keep him or he has made it clear he doesnt want to live there. Probably the latter. 

He's looked a little bit quicker to me in pre season. Still not really done anything. Here's hoping Unai can rejuvenate him. 

Maybe they have. They wouldn't be shouting to the papers about players that have said no.

• Like 1

Â