Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/11/21 at 23:59

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

We mustn't forget those two fabulous block saves by Martinez too! They were as good as goals and also an indication that Brighton can be dangerous along with their keepy ball  stuff. For me the fact they didn't score was more down to our good defending & goal keeper than it was down to them not offering a threat.

Whilst you make a point that they’re not completely toothless…

what other team would have 2/3 of the possession but end up with 1/3 of the shots?

if we played a 5-5-0 formation we could have 70% possession too.

They had a good start, based on a strange formation, other teams will wise up to it like we did, and they’ll end up bottom half where they deserve.

FB055A75-4617-4E6C-95E0-B3E855BBC5BD.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

They wasn't easy opponents for us and the way we play....so it was even more credit to us.....Effective was the key word, for that game, and until we put daylight between the bottom 3.

We will evolve, but right now, we need points.

What these new coaches has done is not thinking too far ahead.

Focusing on the short term and make sure we stay in the league. 

Organized us and make us hard to beat. If we stay in games our attacking talent always gives us a chance to win a game.

Look at Newcastle in comparison. Conceding 3 goals. I think Howe is trying to revolutionize too much, too quickly.

These people know exactly what they are doing and how they are going to achieve it. I have no worries. The flair will come later.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

Something I've noticed this year, is when we are attacking, our pitch awareness in the final third is generally poor.  For instance, Ollie's goal was a beautiful strike...  but if he's aware of his surroundings and where his fellow attacking teammates are, he probably lays that off to Bailey who was WIDE open for an easy goal.  There have been other instances including Cash's beauty against Everton as Bailey was also wide open far post.  Plenty of other examples of that where the results didn't end in goals and those are obviously the more important ones.  I'm sure that's something that Gerrard and the rest of the staff will try to improve.  If they do we are bound to score more goals because the opportunities are there, we're just not always seeing it.  Not sure if anyone else agrees.

I agree wholeheatedly....but first things first.

To move up the League, we need to start with clean sheets and build on that....SG has said so himself, the bits you refer to are important, but for later, in terms of priority.

Improvement is incremental,can't do it all in one go.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Organized us and make us hard to beat. If we stay in games our attacking talent always gives us a chance to win a game.

Look at Newcastle in comparison. Conceding 3 goals. I think Howe is trying to revolutionize too much, too quickly.

These people know exactly what they are doing and how they are going to achieve it. I have no worries. The flair will come later.

precisely, We have only failed to score, once in the league all season and that was against Chelsea.....so as you say, you can easily see where the focus has to initially be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We have played ONE game!  You simply do not have enough information to claim that 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

If he feels , we are not fit enough, it was the sensible thing to do, concede territory, when it matters less, to preserve energy.

In the fullness of time and better fitness, I think you will see more pressing.

I don’t doubt that. Been a long time coming! 

I know not a lot would have changed in the past week or so, however I do think 37% possession at home, to Brighton, is still disappointing though. I’d have thought that even if we had Smith at the helm and we we were in a period of playing well. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Genuine question… do we win that game with Dean Smith in charge instead of Gerard? 

Dunno.

Would we have made subs at 0 - 0 while there was " nothing in it " 🤔👀.

Or wait till we conceded?

Either way, I've tried to stay away from convos/comments like these, for obvious reasons.

The trajectory and performances we saw over the last 5 games would suggest absolutely f#cking not, but there is no telling what could/would have happened.

There could be an argument that if Ollie hadn't scored that stunner, we get nothing 🤷🏾‍♂️ ( moments of brilliance )

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Dunno.

Would we have made subs at 0 - 0 while there was " nothing in it " 🤔👀.

Or wait till we conceded?

Either way, I've tried to stay away from convos/comments like these, for obvious reasons.

The trajectory and performances we saw over the last 5 games would suggest absolutely f#cking not, but there is no telling what could/would have happened.

There could be an argument that if Ollie hadn't scored that stunner, we get nothing 🤷🏾‍♂️ ( moments of brilliance )

He made subs at 0-0 vs United which helped us stretch them and win the game 😉

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There was definitely a feeling in the match thread of "This will inevitably end with a late Brighton winner". 

I've never been more certain of anything than the inevitability of Maupay scoring the winner when he came on. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I thought there was a palpable release of pressure once Watkins scored. The crowd and the players were so massively lifted, that we went up several gears afterwards that were previously unavailable in the first 80 mins

I think I was more nervous after Ollie scored :). I went from being really happy with a potential draw and clean sheet to thinking we are going to concede late on and throw away a hugely important win

• Like 1

Â