Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/11/21 at 23:59

1 minute ago, Villastine said:

You serious?  A moment of pure class from Ollie and you think he should have squared it! 

Before he shot it and it went in, I absolutely wanted him to because I think the pass to Bailey was the better play.  It was an amazing goal and I went nuts when it went in....  not taking anything away from the goal whatsoever.  I'm more concerned about the similar opportunities where the chance taken doesn't go in and there's a better play to be made which is what I was trying to express.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think improvements we could see already was that we were more disciplined in defence, and we tried to play our way through the middle more than before, with Douggie coming back that will improve massively.

That's what I'm looking forward to, Dougie, Bernie and Trez back, I think with Trez's work rate he will fit into the new system. Plus it won't be long before Buendia finds his form, I think he's just trying to hard, you could see the disappointment on his face when he went and sat on the bench, it was because he was sub, looked more like he's frustrated with his form. 

UTV Stevie G's Claret and Blue Army 

Edited by Joshie2000
Spelling mistake

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Mate we were shit and nicked a win against a shit team that knows how to defend and control the ball but nothing else. Look at the possession stats. You would have been all over that if we won this game under smith. 

For all their possession they only managed 6 shots on goal, not exactly threatening. This is what having a plan to nullify your opponent looks like, rather than turning up and hoping something happens

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

Before he shot it and it went in, I absolutely wanted him to because I think the pass to Bailey was the better play.  It was an amazing goal and I went nuts when it went in....  not taking anything away from the goal whatsoever.  I'm more concerned about the similar opportunities where the chance taken doesn't go in and there's a better play to be made which is what I was trying to express.

The thing is, strikers are inherently greedy words removed and the best you're gonna get from them (if their effort ends up in row Z of the Holte) is a half raised hand, acknowledging they should've passed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Icarium said:

For all their possession they only managed 6 shots on goal, not exactly threatening. This is what having a plan to nullify your opponent looks like, rather than turning up and hoping something happens

I agree. I don’t mean to downplay the win, but if we won with that same performance under Smith some would be moaning still. 

• Like 1

Brighton actually do play great football. 

Reason they looked rather boring is because of our tactical setup. Our shape and denying space. 

The easiest thing to do as a coach is to get you organized and in a good shape, and that's exactly what Gerrard has done short term.

The attacking fluidity will take quite some time but we will get there. 

Edited by villalad21

7 hours ago, HKP90 said:

After losing 5 on the trot, today was absolutely all about getting a result, not performance. You could see the change in confidence after the goal went in. 

Yep was all about the clean sheet so having emi back to form was crucial. Now the work starts, be interesting to see if we start 4-3-3 in the next one or 4-3-2-1. The coaches will have more time to get the off the ball stuff hammered into the players a lot better. They've done well to do what they have in so little time, there were changes in how compact we were off the ball and the way we pressed and had our forwards tracking runners to help out. Doing that in so little time is impressive.

Front 3 were really low on confidence until the goal, looked better going forward after the subs. Lots for Gerrard and staff to think about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icarium said:

They only had 2 shots on target all game

Both were saved by an in form keeper. Might have been a different story had either gone in and we'd found ourselves a goal down and chasing the game...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Brighton actually do play great football. 

Reason they looked rather boring is because of our tactical setup. Our shape and denying space. 

The easiest thing to do as a coach is to get you organized and in a good shape, and that's exactly what Gerrard has done short term.

The attacking fluidity will take quite some time but we will get there. 

I don’t agree. They are very well coached and know their roles. But they hardly create anything.  The balance between attack and defence isn’t there. For Brighton it’s probably acceptable but it wouldn’t be at villa.

They have only won 1 in 7 now.  A lot of those draws. 

• Like 2

Was out all day yesterday so just catching up with the MOTD highlights..

the commentary is not aurally pleasant and putting me off watching. 

Great goal by Watkins after good work by Nakamba! 

well played by Mings too - worked hard to keep the ball in play and deserved a bit of luck following up in the box!

Edited by theboyangel

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Both were saved by an in form keeper. Might have been a different story had either gone in and we'd found ourselves a goal down and chasing the game...

With our confidence at the time it could have all gone wrong, but seasons change on moments like that. Rode our luck a little at times but kept working, and ultimately got the reward. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Was out all day yesterday so just catching up with the MOTD highlights..

the commentary is not aurally pleasant and putting me off watching. 

Great goal by Watkins after good work by Nakamba! 

well played by Mings too - worked hard to keep the ball in play and deserved a bit of luck following up in the box!

I was a bit disappointed given how we were talking about being media darlings now that we were, what, second to last on?

Mind you some good games this week.

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I was a bit disappointed given how we were talking about being media darlings now that we were, what, second to last on?

Mind you some good games this week.

Yes, looking at the other results I wasn’t too surprised to see us down the pecking order. 

I imagine we’ll be first match in when we play Liverpool in a few weeks though 😂

• Haha 1

Â