Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/11/21 at 23:59

24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

When were those? The regulation save at the near post in the first half?

The save from lamptey was good but there were players on the line and I can’t remember Emi making any more saves.

Dont know where people have got this idea that he kept us in the game as though we were under the cosh.

Trossard smashed it close range straight at him but still good save 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Possession football is great if you're dominating possession around the opponent's penalty box.

If you're just driving up your stats by knocking it around in your own half, that doesn't really count for much.

I don't think Brighton's possession figures really translated into dominance.

Exactly, they set up with three at the back and spend most of their possession passing between them.

I think it's great that Gerrard said that we are going to be a possession team, it's a way to dominate games, but also very much a defensive tactic to keep the ball when we are leading.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think improvements we could see already was that we were more disciplined in defence, and we tried to play our way through the middle more than before, with Douggie coming back that will improve massively.

Maybe! I’d need to see more evidence of that over more games.  We conceded less shots than usual which is a massive positive.  Watching it though I wasn’t convinced we were more disciplined, there was still a few hairy moments that has become common place and a different day would’ve been punished.  I did feel we tried to play more through the middle but I thought our attacking play, especially early second half was far more sloppy than usual as players weren’t on the same page.  The subs made the difference without doubt.

To be honest, it’s difficult to take any analysis from this game.  First game for new manager, players trying to impress which has negatives because over trying and positives because they try harder.  The opposition also has to be taken into account and also half of these players today have only had a couple of days with Gerrard and his coaching team so hardly enough to make too much difference.

We won, a good day at the office and that’s what I’m happy about tonight.  I’ll reflect more on this game after we have played some more games so there is a bigger dataset to look at.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe! I’d need to see more evidence of that over more games.  We conceded less shots than usual which is a massive positive.  Watching it though I wasn’t convinced we were more disciplined, there was still a few hairy moments that has become common place and a different day would’ve been punished.  I did feel we tried to play more through the middle but I thought our attacking play, especially early second half was far more sloppy than usual as players weren’t on the same page.  The subs made the difference without doubt.

To be honest, it’s difficult to take any analysis from this game.  First game for new manager, players trying to impress which has negatives because over trying and positives because they try harder.  The opposition also has to be taken into account and also half of these players today have only had a couple of days with Gerrard and his coaching team so hardly enough to make too much difference.

We won, a good day at the office and that’s what I’m happy about tonight.  I’ll reflect more on this game after we have played some more games so there is a bigger dataset to look at.

Plus he pretty much stated that the first few games would be temporary tactics to stop the rot before he can impose his ideas or something basically to that effect. Definitely not getting too carried away or downbeat off one game had we lost, need a bigger sample size to see his true impact.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Mate we were shit and nicked a win against a shit team that knows how to defend and control the ball but nothing else. Look at the possession stats. You would have been all over that if we won this game under smith. Complete troll that has ruined this forum. 

Mate, you just got triggered. You took the bait and you made his day.

Just ignore him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Trossard smashed it close range straight at him but still good save 

Good positioning and reflexes but realistically the only way that goes in is if he ducked under it. Lamptey save was a good one 

5 hours ago, skell said:

I hate the 2 up top. But as you say we needed a second striker. Why not sign a good one? 

He would only play wide if better than traore or Bailey for example. It's about picking the best 3 up top. If its ings with watkins and buendia then fine if its Watkins with Bailey and buendia that's fine too

My points mostly based around the fact we had a system that worked last year then signed a striker who would be expected to start, either with or in place of one of our best players last season. It was unnecessary and has proven so this season. I would rather Ings was still playing for Southampton tbh

• Confused 2

Now that we are about a third of the season in I would say that only Chelsea, City and Liverpool look a lot better than everyone else. I know West Ham have had a good start but I think in the long run they are fairly ordinary. I think it just shows that if you can get on a half decent run you can move a lot further up the table. We are as near to 7th than 18th which kind of sums us  up at the moment.

3 hours ago, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

Something I've noticed this year, is when we are attacking, our pitch awareness in the final third is generally poor.  For instance, Ollie's goal was a beautiful strike...  but if he's aware of his surroundings and where his fellow attacking teammates are, he probably lays that off to Bailey who was WIDE open for an easy goal.  There have been other instances including Cash's beauty against Everton as Bailey was also wide open far post.  Plenty of other examples of that where the results didn't end in goals and those are obviously the more important ones.  I'm sure that's something that Gerrard and the rest of the staff will try to improve.  If they do we are bound to score more goals because the opportunities are there, we're just not always seeing it.  Not sure if anyone else agrees.

You serious?  A moment of pure class from Ollie and you think he should have squared it! 

• Like 1

Â